Better To Be A Potato Or An Egg?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Sep 3, 2018.

In boiling water, better to be a potato that softens or egg that hardens?

1. Egg

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Potato

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Depends (this option is present but discouraged)

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

potatoegg.JPG

"The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances." ~ Unknown

I came across the above quote and understand the gist of it. But question coming to the curious mind in this long weekend is:

So, if trying to improve myself, should I aim to be an egg or a potato? Please no laughing. :persevere: Question is genuine. :innocent: Kindly revert back with your suggestions below. There is also a poll above for convenience. Thanking you.

sindmani, anika987, Amica and 11 others like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I'm going to go with egg, in no small part because my doctor has banned the beloved potato from my food list :).
    On a more serious note, a series of life events have shown me that we have unknown reserves we can call upon when things come down to the wire. It's cliched but true: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

sindmani, Amica, HazelPup and 4 others like this.
  3. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Nice question to ponder upon like all your questions usually are :) I would go with potato anyday but that's me.

When I first read the saying 'The meek shall rule the world' I had no idea what it meant. Eventually during my course of life in Hard Knocks University I realised it meant in the long term (read evolution) the flexible will survive and rigid / hard will break. Similar analogy that got me thinking was to be like a blade of grass that can bend to survive the same wind that could uproot a tree that stands strong. This could also mean picking our battles. Silence and Kindness do not always imply weakness.

Amica, HazelPup, Laks09 and 6 others like this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I am an egg ,but trying to be a potato
    Its better to be a potato .

sindmani, BhumiBabe, HazelPup and 4 others like this.
  5. ragz2richez

ragz2richez Bronze IL'ite

The answer is it Depends.
    (If you are searching for real answer, then it does depend, not a singleton answer - potato or egg).

Rihana likes this.
  6. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

I feel, if 'it depends' is the real answer also depends (on the question and questioner to name a few) :) Just like in any exam, we need to answer the question in the exam paper considering the do's and dont's given even though we might realise it is a hypothetical question and may not always apply in real life.

Here, the OP (for lack of a better word, pardon me R) seems to have foreseen that most if not all of us will be tempted to take the easy way out and to preempt that mentioned that the easiest option is discouraged. She needs a clear choice from us. Maybe she just wanted to trigger a debate :D

True, it depends is the safest and correct answer as well in most situations but may not be in this case.

Let's wait for OP as well to weigh in on this question which she usually does anyway, the last word if you will :p

Amica, Laks09, goldenhoney87 and 2 others like this.
  7. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,
    This is an interesting question and the answer would be situational.

A fragile egg upon boiling becomes palatable and hard. We have to toughen ourselves to face the world and the difficulties.

An unpalatable potato upon boiling becomes palatable and soft. We have our own weaknesses and rigidities that distance us from our own people at times. By becoming soft/palatable/vulnerable/flexible...we can easily mingle with people without the rigidity of ego.

Ultimately, it is a question of survival; we can be an egg or potato according to the situation and need.

sindmani, Amica, HazelPup and 8 others like this.
  8. Rihana

I was planning to go with which one I am able to boil better in the Instant Pot. :lol:
    So true. That's why if Kelly Clarkson's Stronger is playing on the radio, I take a detour so it plays completely before I stop.

Not only does it make you stronger, it makes you more attractive. To self and others. The right word escapes me. Maybe more than attractive, it is appealing.

Laks09, goldenhoney87 and MalStrom like this.
  9. Rihana

: ) Appreciate the compliment and the statement of choice.

I came across a similar saying by Confucius about 8-10 years ago - "The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm." Is true. So simply said using grass, reed, tree examples rather than the egg and potato that cause confusion. : ) : )

"Picking our battles" -- I go a little posh (or vain) on that, and say let's pick our victories. : )

Amica, Laks09, Sunshine04 and 2 others like this.
  10. Rihana

Rags rags rags.. always the Goldilocks.. neither the potato or egg is soft or hard enough for you to choose? For you special option -- how about be a tea bag in boiling water? Tea bag of Eleanor Roosevelt fame?