1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best Ways to Eat Garlic

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by coolblues, Dec 12, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

109.jpg

Garlic, as we all know is a powerhouse of nutrients. It is one of the nature’s wonders, which prevents and kills bacteria, fungi, lowers cholesterol, blood sugar, prevents blood clotting and offers protection against tumors and cancers. Are there any best ways to eat this nature’s wonder to derive maximum benefits?

Chop: Research indicates that chopping garlic enhances its health-boosting properties. Slicing, chopping or smashing garlic will result in an increased amount of allicin, a powerful compound that has vast health-promoting benefits.

Wait before you Cook:
    It is essential that you let the chopped or sliced garlic sit for 5-6 minutes before you can eat or cook. This short time helps in the formation of allicin. It is not worth cooking garlic if this compound has not yet formed. It is also seen that letting it sit for few minutes makes garlic more stable and resistant to heat.

Do not overcook:
    Heating or cooking garlic for a long period of time will result in loss of its powerful nutrients. Preserve the healthy properties of garlic by cooking it for not more than ten minutes.

Raw:
    Garlic when eaten in its raw form is any time the best way to consume garlic. Don’t gulp but chew it to release the compounds. Remember to eat it raw along with a meal and never on an empty stomach as it can cause acidity and even ulcer.

You can also roast it dry, freeze or store garlic in oil.

15 people like this.

2. TheSahil

TheSahil Gold IL'ite

Good post. But eating a lot of garlic in old age and with a nervous stomach is bad.

1 person likes this.
  3. DURGARAJ

DURGARAJ Silver IL'ite

You can make garlic pickle and also garlic powder. Both tastes good in rice and dosas. Fry 2 to 3 pods in pan with pinch of oil and little salt and eat it right away. This cures the pains in the body.

1 person likes this.
  4. NAshwini

NAshwini Gold IL'ite

thanks for sharing this information

5. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

just smash the garlic and throw them with oven roasted veggies or meat ... those are tastier bite for you and healthier for ur heart

6. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Nice Info coolblues!! I love garlic and i have got more boost when i read the post.Thank u.

7. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

very informative.

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I eat it raw (chopped) mostly when I feel I am bloated..next morning I feel light.
    I also read in IL long time back, that if 1-2 pods of garlic chopped and kept for 5-10 and then gulped with water the night before, removes toxins in the body the next day.

Sriniketan

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

This is one thing that is not easily acceptable in my household,yet my cardiologist makes it a point to write it on my prescription everytime..

so for me eating this and introducing it to my kids had become a mission for the past few years. DH cannot stand garlic.

a clove into dals. a few cloves into chutneys. 2/3 cloves into kurmas..

for me i bake garlic in the oven and cool it and make a chutney, the rawness is reduced. or have one or two of them whenever i need..

i also make a garlic + dal powder that is son's favorite.

Garlic soaked in honey is a great tonic for asthmatic..

apart from this add them to dishes like drumstick leaves along with shallots to reduce the indigestion that hits a few people..

will come back when i reember anything else...

a few pods in a small katori on top of your rice..becomes a habit soon..(i have seen a neighbour aunty do it for years...)

Garlic steeped in lemon and ginger makes a great side dish for curd rice.

Garlic greens though strong are tasty in pasta. I plant a few in a small pot.

Raw garlic taken before bed, reduces fear of garlicky smell that shuns us from this vegetable..

crush the garlic to release the flavors and allicin ..no wonder our elders always said rendu pallu poondai thatti podu never narukki podu.( crush two pods of garlic rather than cut...)

10. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

we keep garlic in honey for one month in air tight jar and eat 2-3 daily,it tastes good.

1 person likes this.