1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Besotted on a rainy day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Jul 29, 2014.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

BESOTTED ON A RAINY DAY
    Aati Rahengi Bahaarein
    Jaati Rahengi Bahaarein
    Dik kii Nazar se
    Duniya ko Dekho
    Duniya Sada hi Haseen hai
    It was a rainy day.
    Priya was waiting for him.
    “I am feeling lonely Suresh”
    Her eyes gazed on the text she typed on the cellphone.
    This song which was played and grew on her since she was so young was being played in her cellphone.
    Sixty years passed since she sang that song in an annual function of her school.
    Suresh was cheering for her as the whole hall used to erupt in applause.
    That was what she remembered of Suresh. He was a shy chubby boy who always brought a smile on her face. He always used to forget his umbrella, so would walk from school in her umbrella.
    That was an age of innocence when children took pleasure in small things. Nothing stayed with them forever. They laughed like flowers and saw the outer world through their hearts.
    Maybe this childhood memory would not have stayed with her too for long. Priya grew up into a beautiful woman and yearned for a man of her dreams. The image of Suresh who brought a smile on her face was deeply embedded somewhere in her hearts.
    That was when she met Rakesh at her office. She found him similar to that image of Suresh she had kept in mind. Rakesh too fell under the spell of her charms. She reciprocated instantly. They soon tied the knot. She went with the flow and seemed happy. Her life jumped into different schedules though she tried to mask her disappointment. She quit her job for raising her beautiful daughter and totally lost touch with her past till she suddenly saw Suresh in her Facebook School group one day.
    Her curiosity in Suresh grew as she accessed his profile and his family photos. Suresh looked very happy with his wife. Priya felt jealous at this thought but then laughed at herself.
    She was doubtful whether Suresh even remembered her. To her delight Suresh reciprocated her friendship request instantly. The void in her life seemed to be suddenly filled as she chatted with Suresh.
    Soon their chats turned personal and they realized that both of them were not happy with the way their life was shaping up. Their life dragged on fulfilling an endless bond that was never going to cease.
    Priya wanted to meet Suresh. That was a day she would never forget in her lifetime it seemed. Decked in her favorite Saree, she never felt as much enthusiastic in her entire life. Suresh too was dressed smartly. They met over a cup of tea but chatted for so long till the piping tea went as cold as water. They were not interested in the tea anyway. It was raining outside and Suresh did not bring the umbrella with him. Priya reminded Suresh of their childhood days and both of them had a hearty laugh as Suresh walked with Priya under her umbrella till the nearest taxi.
    There was a sparkle in Priya’s eyes. Suresh had changed much. He was no longer the shy chubby boy of her dreams and was the father of an eight year old son.
    Priya was not allowed to go out often as her husband did not like her mingling with others and socializing. She chatted with Suresh on WhatsApp for hours.
    But those happy moments in her life could not last long as suddenly one day, her husband rushed towards her in a fit of rage and snatched her Mobile and scrolled her contacts and messages and flung it in front of their daughter. The mobile just broke and went lifeless. Priya pleaded with Rakesh as to what wrong she has done but she got no reply. Rakesh dared her to again touch a cellphone anymore. The only window to the outside world seemed suddenly shut for Priya.
    A week passed like a month since that episode. Priya thought of Suresh and felt how he would be feeling without her. After sending her daughter to school, she searched for a cybercafé and found Suresh not online. She typed a message, “Shall we meet for a cup of tea this weekend at 8 am. Please… Please”
    Their second meet was not a memorable one like the first one. Priya did not even dress her hair properly. Suresh too looked forlorn. They exchanged pleasantries and did not utter a word till they gulped the hot tea. Suresh apologized to Priya.
    “Last week, when I was in the train chatting with you, I could not realize someone overlooking me over my shoulder and reading my messages. He just snatched my mobile and began to abuse me. We had a scuffle in the crowded train and snatched the mobile back from him. Later I realized that he was your husband Rakesh and saw me chatting with you. He was enraged to see your profile pic and started shouting at me, “You bloody rascal flirting with other women.” I did not realize that I am going to meet your Rakesh in this fashion and was deeply embarrassed. I tried to explain to him that we are school friends and are just chatting casually. But he would have none of it. I had to get down mid-way at the nearest station as the crowd too began to take sides.”
    “O my God” Priya could not believe this and was in tears. “My life was already a wretch and now my husband has begun to constantly monitor me. Can you help me out, Suresh. We will elope some day.”
    Suresh kept silent. Priya got angry with Suresh and walked away.
    This was going to be their last meeting. They simply lost touch with each other. Many years passed. Priya kept herself engaged spending time with her daughter Sukanya. Drinking took a toll on her husband’s health. Soon after her college days, Sukanya eloped with an elderly businessman. Rakesh abused Priya for not raising her daughter well. Rakesh suffered from cirrhosis and in a few days succumbed to it.
    It was the time of Holi without colors in her life. Dark clouds gathered in the sky. Priya was suddenly all alone. She tried to contact her daughter Sukanya but Sukanya did not even respond. She suddenly remembered Suresh and typed the text
    “I am feeling lonely Suresh”
    She suddenly stopped and felt really foolish. Will Suresh really reciprocate after so many years? Time moves on and so do people. Why should she be so important in his scheme of things?
    But the unseasonal rains kept her hope going. She kept singing.
    Tumse Hain Jab Jeevan Mein Sahaare
    Jahan Jaayen Nazrein, Wahin Hain Nazaare
    Tumse Hain Jab Jeevan Mein Sahaare
    Jahan Jaayen Nazrein, Wahin Hain Nazaare
    Leke Aayegi, Har Nayee Bahaar, Rang Bhara Pyar Aur Khushi Ho Ho
    Aati Rahengi Bahaaren
    She got a reply text, “Priya, is that you.”
    She felt so thrilled. Suresh promised to meet her the very next day.
    She could suddenly notice the age in her face, as she sat before the mirror after a long time.
    Priya, “I thought, you forgot me.”
    Suresh smiled in reply. She could notice the grey hair but he had the same spark in his eyes.
    After a long pause, Suresh held Priya’s hands and said, “Priya, do you know one thing. That day I felt very bad when your husband misunderstood me. I also felt guilty in some way for messing with your life. I could not sleep well for a week. I realized my own mistake of taking my wife for granted when I saw you in her eyes. I picked the threads of my life back and we were soon out on a vacation. We felt so happy together after a long time. However, deep within I felt so guilty that I seldom handled my cellphone. Whenever I did access my phone, I always yearned for your message.
    Priya talked about the direction her life took after their last meet. Both of them held hands together and seemed inseparable for long.
    “Priya, you are coming with me.”
    “Where”
    “To my house”
    “But what about your family”
    “My wife is ailing and needs company. We stay alone together. Our son died in a road accident five years ago, and since then my wife has never recovered.”
    Priya nodded in agreement but said she will take her time. Whatever little misgivings she had about Suresh quickly disappeared.
    Suresh noticed an umbrella by her side inquisitively.
    Priya quickly met Suresh’s gaze and smiled.
    “I know it is Spring time, but with you alongwith me, it always rains and brings back passion in my life.”
    Both of them had a hearty laugh together as he walked out under Priya’s umbrella in the sunny morning towards the nearest taxi as he saw Priya waving hands at him.
    Hey Hum Jo Mile Hain To Dil Ko Yakeen Hai
    Dharti Pe Swarg Jo Hai To Yahin Hai
    Hum Jo Mile Hain To Dil Ko Yakeen Hai
    Dharti Pe Swarg Jo Hai To Yahin Hai
    Bhoole Se Bhi Gum, Aaye Na Wahan, Pyar Hai Jahan Bandagi Ho Ho
    Aati Rahengi Bahaaren

2. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite