1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being Emotional.. Is It Good Or Bad??

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Bestmom, Mar 22, 2017.

1. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Being an emotional person is one thing. Expressing your emotions is something else.
    I am an emotional person. Even a poor kid on the road side would make me upset. I would go out of my way to help such unfortunate people to feel good. Else, my heart will keep on reminding this.
    I feel emotional even about the movies and stories too. They directly go to my heart, instead of the brain.
    Because I am ruled by my heart.
    So many people take my emotional status to their advantage. They even cheat on me or take me for granted too. But I learn to find a middle ground by not loosing myself.

However, I do not cry that easily. I am very strong and very practical woman.
    Even my beloved dad's death did not make me to break down that much. I cried and felt extremely sad too. But with the pilled up responsibilities before me, I could not sit and cry loud then.
    I do not cry when my kid is vaccinated or treated with injections. I know, that's the most painful thing for a mom to watch. But believe me, I am the one who holds the kid during such times.

Contrastingly one of my ex friend looks very emotional. She cries even for a simple thing. Anything could make her cry just like that.
    But she is not emotional, not even sympathetic to the poor. She is ruled by the brain and often think very practically.
    She says she cries so that she looks vulnerable and thus forgiven for the mistakes. According to her, crying or showing weak emotions help her to escape from the consequences of the problems she creates.

That's when I learned being emotional is different from crying.

guesshoo likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

From your post OP, being emotional is not the main problem. Your husband treating you with lack of respect makes you upset. That is natural and you need to deal with his bullying. Remember that you are not the one at fault but he is - simply for treating a fellow human being shabbily.

There are ways and means of giving negative feedback diplomatically and in a respectful manner. Think of the last free times you were upset because of his criticism. Analyse the situation. Were you at "fault"? Or was he misreading a situation or was he insisting that his way is the only right way to do things? Could he have conveyed it better? Could you have stopped his meanness on its tracks by saying something then and there to take control of the situation? Think. Read up about being assertive and handling bullies. Analyse. Figure out how you can stay on top of the situation.

Usually we tend to fall into patterns of behaviour. So when a similar situation crops up again, handle it in a better manner to your satisfaction.

I have in the past practised my responses in front of a mirror with facial expressions and the right tone. It soon became second nature. In the very early years of marriage my husband used to be critical - because he didn't know any better how to treat his wife. Now even if he carries a joke too far, I manage to rein him in. It works.

4. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

True.. I used to cry a lot initially but he gives least attention.. Then I learnt its of no use to spoil ur health..I jus divert myself when I get emotional..

fourthaugust likes this.
  5. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

I can see myself partially in u..as u said.. I cry tragedy scenes in movies or news..
    And its strange to know abt ur friend..
    These many days I thought ppl cry when they get emotional not escapism...
    But don't you think being less emotional makes you a practical person with less expectations which means lil bit stone hearted in my words..

6. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

Wow guesshoo..tats a very analysis u have done..I thk I have to stop and think and use my brain..bcoz I react instantly.. If fault is not from myside , I say directly and give left n right..if the fault is mine, I do accept and try to correct it...but never did thought abt problem and analysis... If I do also, my instant nature comes first...bcoz many times I thk I shud talk less but am a big mouth..

7. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

I dont know how long you are married for...but in my case I stopped getting emotional in couple of years after marriage...now 8 years into marriage and it will be very difficult for my hubby to make me emotional :) anyway jokes apart being emotional is a good sign , it shows that you are still a human and being less emotional with hubby also shows that you have a healthy marriage. Just my observation.

8. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi op I always feel I am highly emotional . As sgbv said if I see a kid in the street that will disturb me alot. I cry when I see dramatic movies. ( I try to stick to only comedy movies though !!:)) . Many situations it happen like I cry and later regret I must have done it Infront of people. ( Normally I rush to bathrooms in such stupid scenarios ) .
    Sometimes I wonder " why can't I control, Why I am getting emotional "while I cry but I can't control. So yeah either I move out from that situation else deviate . Somehow I try to escape from the situation.
    I get many compliments for "always smiling" .Once my friend commented me you are a happy person same time you get extreme emotional.( I cried when my friends got transfer !! I cried when I was leaving my cousin ,I do happy cry sometimes :eek::confused:) . Your both emotions doesn't match !! That made me think but I loose my tears at times.

I have passed the stage of crying Infront of husband and in laws though .Good for me;)
    Waiting to pass at other moments too. Cause I feel crying Infront of people is not good ":oops:

Bestmom likes this.
  9. Bestmom

Bestmom Silver IL'ite

Ha ha same like me..even I started to avoid tragedy scenes and send offs...I cry without anybody knowledge.. As u said its not good to cry in front of others..and me too have a smiling face....these days am turning stone hearted to dh and in laws..so least I expect, least to get emotional

penpaal likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In my personal experience, it's because I connect that I empathize. In that sense, it's because I'm emotional that I can see things from others POV. Two of my strengths are the fact that I can easily overlook others negatives and focus on the plus points and can think about things from the other person's perspective. And I'm not all that less emotional. I have the ability to put my emotions aside and think.

Simple example, my DH is out of the house a lot. Weeks at a time. This started when my older child was a baby. Every day I put in effort to make sure she connected with him. Before WhatsApp and video calls, I have taped her dad singing to her, playing with her and run those tapes over and over so she knew he was there. I would tape things she did and play it for him. Over the years, even if the children do something very simple he knows. All that was possible because I always thought about how it must be for him. How hard it must be to spend so much of time away from your own children. I would alway say that I am here and handling things while he is away and has no control over what happens with the kids.

I personally can have a great deal of sympathy only if my emotions get involved. I don't think it's a bad thing being emotional as long as it's channeled right and I don't end up getting hurt because of it.
    I think you probably do have it in you too. It isn't practical people alone who get it from others perspective. My DH is extremely practical and he depends on me to look at the other person's picture.

poovai likes this.