1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Balasaraswati- Her Art and Life by Doughlas M. Knight Jr: A REVIEW!

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

With the first touch and glance this wonderful book, I knew I was being transported into a different world. What I did not know then, was that I was holding am exquisite piece of precious history that was to reveal to me the enchanting background of not just a fabulous Bharatanatyam dancer but was also to enrich my very being with the treasure chest of information of the place I had been living in for ages.

I thought I knew all the nooks and corners of Chennai – home to me for decades now. Yet, the author, a writer not of Indian origin by writing this book has opened the eyes of all those readers who thought they knew all about the city, about the beautiful traditional dance form and about the graceful dancer Balasaraswati. The fact that the author, Doughlas M. Knight is the son-in-law of the dancer and has had the unique experience of having studied and performed with the dancer’s brothers and then with the dancer’s daughter, Lakshmi makes him just the right person to pen this wonderful book, a work of art in itself.

In this biography, I realized as I read that unlike other books, I could not just keep taking all that the book had to offer to me. I had to give back too by way of understanding, appreciating and respecting the background, lifestyle, origin and history of events that existed before, during and after the esteemed dancer’s existence. I realized that unless I too interacted with the book as the waves of culture and history carried me and down, into and inside the wonderful world that made this dancer who she was, I was not going to do justice to the author, his book and to Balasaraswati.

“Devotion to art is identical to devotion in the practice and pursuit of spiritual realities, for the dancer’s sake and for the sake of the community that benefited from the dancer’s pursuit. Through her discipline and humility Balasaraswati became a vessel through which the art flowed, an offering at once to God and to others who were witness to her offering.”

The book overwhelmed me completely. I am sure those who have heard about Balasaraswati, those who like the traditional dance form and those who can appreciate the passion seen in the work of the author will feel the same too!

1 person likes this.

2. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the review, shail. Indeed, being her son-in-law, Douglas Knight had the advantage of interacting closely with her. Besides, it gives us a refreshing point of view. Also, I want to know if her has mentioned the Devadasi lifestyle as well.

We all know that Bala had a tough time in her career, what with her Natuvanar going away to work with Uday Shankar, and the famous face off with Rukmini Devi. In spite of the hurdles she faced, Bala managed to uphold the traditional style of Bharatanatyam.

Nice to see someone who has read this book! :)

3. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Dear Crazywriter,

Nice that you liked reading the review and also nice to come across a person who is aware about the topic that I reviewed.

Yes, the author of the book, Doughlas Knight has mentioned about the Devadasi system in detail. Do try to get your hands on this book if you can. The only thing is that the reading takes time as you absorb each and every minute detail.

Keep reading!
    Shail

1 person likes this.
  4. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

My pleasure, Shail :)

It is always a wonderful experience to read about artistes. You should try Mrinalini Sarabhai's autobiography, 'The Voice of the Heart'.

1 person likes this.