1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Back To Basics! No Soap No Shampoo! Practical?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by IniyaaSri, Mar 12, 2018.

Will you stop using body soaps & shampoos and go for natural alternatives?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

14.3%
  3. May be. I dont know.

7.1%
  4. Yes only if it not time consuming

26.2%
  5. Is that really possible?

2.4%
  1. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. @shravs3 have a look at this tried and tested remedy for oily scalp.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @kveena. Sorry, I have one more question, can I substitute turmeric something else? I am guessing you are using turmeric for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. For you second recipe of besan/curd/turmeric, can i substitute turmeric with tea tree oil?

I know this may come across as vain but everytime i touch turmeric, my carefully maintained nails get stained and i hate it. it gets cloudy and looks really bad. Also, the white bathtubs, wont they stain?
    I just need some clarifications before it comes to a point where I need to replace the bathtub because its completely ruined in 6 months. I like the recipe though./

3. virtualkv2020

I mix 1/4th kg of gram flour with only 2 tsps of turmeric and store in a glass jar.I just take the required amount say like 3- 5 tsps and whip it with curds using a mixie jar or a blender to use,you could use milk or rose water instead of curds and it did not stain my tub since I always rinse the tub thoroughly after bath,use some lysol/clorex wet wipes or baking soda water to clean the tub If you are worried about stains.You could try substituting turmeric with a few drops of tea tree oil since its anti inflammatory.

Another option is to use Dr Bronner's Castile bar soap,my family uses this.You could also use ayurvedic soaps (not commercially made) from famous ayurvedic stores like Dr Elchuris or Arya Vaidyasala.To beat the dryness of skin during winter you can massage your body soon after bath while you are still wet with little olive oil or almond oil for a few mins until its absorbed into the skin.To use any herbal hair wash powders (like amla,reeta,shikakai mix),make a decoction with these powders and use the strained liquid.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dr. Bronners is what we use right now. its OK to continue this I suppose then?
    Thank you for taking time to respond, it helps me go more natural and make it a lifestyle.

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  5. virtualkv2020

Welcome! Yes you can use Dr Bronner’s Castile soap as long as it suits you.For facial glamour you can use any natural face pack,wash off into a bucket of water and flush into a potty.

6. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Thank you kveena

7. saurabh123123

saurabh123123 New IL'ite

8. Mira86

Mira86 New IL'ite

Thank you for the recipe. It's also worth trying these two homemade hair mask recipes I've found here and tested by myself.
    1)To cleanse and prevent oiliness - 1/2 of avocado and 2 egg yolks. Apply this mix to your hair for 15 minutes, then rinse it.
    2)To moisture and soften - 1/2 cup of milk and 1 teaspoon of honey. Warm up the milk, mix it with honey, put it on hair for 30 minutes, put on a shower cap, then rinse it off.

virtualkv2020 and IniyaaSri like this.
  9. virtualkv2020

@Ushasantosh If you are still interested in making home made soaps (body soaps and shampoo bars) you could try the beginner soap making process using melt and pour soap bases,these are easily available in the market.All you need to do is melt the 'melt n pour bar' using a double boiling method and mix with your favorite ingredients such as papaya or aloe vera gel or essential oils or base oils of your choice.Pour into some silicon molds,set aside for a while and de mold them.

Have a look into these
    Papaya soap
    Homemade Papaya Soap | Indusladies

Shampoo bar

Home made Shampoo bar | Indusladies

10. Balaji755

Balaji755 New IL'ite

Well said on "No Soap! No Shampoo! Practical?"

But I also want to notice this thing to you which we are using a dishwasher and fabric-wash made of chemicals.

Are we testing our vessels/clothes after washing with the chemicals?

Probably No.!?!

There are many "Back to Basics" are there to keep chemicals away from us.

If not so, there is an alternate method of natural washers namely ECOWASH.

It was really good which is made up of Coconut and sugar in the percentage of 80-85.

virtualkv2020 likes this.