1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby shower - parents not generous

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by riyagan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Come on,why do you people don't want to believe that the parents are not concerned about the daughter.

If love cannot be equated with gifts then what is the necessity to give cards or gifts during birthdays and wedding anniversaries? There is nothing wrong in showing one's love by giving something according to their capacity.
    Real love will feel like giving something to their loved ones , sometimes gifts or at least a kiss on the forehead of their child/spouse.

2 people like this.
  2. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Some people may not feel the need to exactly "give" and prove their love, just like some people are not very expressive with words or keeping in touch regularly, but are the first ones to show up when the loved one is in trouble.

From my experience, I think that this giving-gifts-because-ILs-might-say-something mentality eventually overshadows what the parents might genuinely want to do for their daughter. Gifts must be given because one feels like gifting, and not because someone else (not even the receiver in some cases) like the PILs are expecting the same. Like Srividhya said, it is a never-ending cycle of complaints about not giving, or about the gift itself. Some in-laws can never be satisfied and just look for the opportunity to put the DIL's family down.

My MIL is not the greedy kind at all, but it irks me big time when she says that "Your parents should have bought this and that cos it is the custom."

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

The issue here is the Girl wonders why her parents are indifferent to functions .To her gifts is also a way of expressing love..

It is incidental that she also wonders what PIL think .But what PIL think is not the main point of the OP. We can choose to focus on it. Thats ones prerogative.

Is She justified in expecting gifts from parents in the event they are financially doing well? Can we equate gifts to love...is the bigger question.

The correct answer is No. But the real answer is we all have expectations..may not be material...but expectations from loved ones exist.

1 person likes this.
  4. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

yea hemalatha :exactly:

5. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

this post takes the discussion to another level :yes:

6. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

my frnd received a silk saree and a gold bangle from her parents.. she made her cousin talk to her parents about it earlier. she was happy last time she called me.. any way i am happy that the function went on well.