1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aunty Aunty .. I Hate This Word.

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by MNR, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

When the caller is the same age as your own child, give or take a couple of years, then "aunty" is perfectly fine. Otherwise, the convention seems to go by the comparative size of the bottom. If a girl finds that her hips are less than 70% of yours, and she hadn't borne any children yet (she could be married, but eat like a bird, and possess a bony-arse to boot), she could easily justify calling you "aunty". You really cannot call her the same name. It is just another conspiracy against people trying hard to un-auntify themselves. I suggest benign tolerance.

Itshightime likes this.
  2. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

It would be more irritating when the same boy or girl call us aunty and Dh as brother.

MNR likes this.
  3. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Very true.
    Same girls who called me aunty, call my DH Anna:(

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

When I was in engineering 2nd year one 10-12 year old girl came And addressed me as aunty. My mercury rised then. Now that I am in my early 30s I am not worried if kids call me aunty. For some reason anyone in early or mid 20s never addressed me as aunty till now

sindmani and MNR like this.
  5. Itshightime

Itshightime Bronze IL'ite

I think personally something, somewhere is lost in their brain since they cannot make out the difference in age. Typically a so-called aunt should be 25-30 yrs older to them. Bcoz it is the usual age difference between us and our regular aunts from relations.

Anything other than that is mere foolishness or rather, lack of thinking capacity. Clear sign of immaturity. AND AN AUNT IS A RELATIVE. Calling aunty to any random person with absolutely no respect is ridiculous.

sindmani, MNR and paru123 like this.
  6. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

I wish people would know that.. just met a professional graduate who just had her second child and has been working in an mnc for at least 5 years.. first meet, she calls me aunty even though she knew that i was of the same age group as her sister who is 5 years elder tk her!! If this was a young person with no outside world experience, i would have probably let it go.. but this seemed a bit much..

MNR likes this.
  7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

When I was in college I had a friend - a year younger than me, but married. Our neighbor's son (he was 5 at the time) would call her aunty and me akka. So one day she asked him and he said "you are married, and akka is not. When she gets married, I will also call her aunty"

I got the "aunty" status from my nephews when I was still in my teens. One of them called me athai (he was my cousin bro's son). At first it felt weird, then I realized it was a good status :) And loved it. Recently he reverted to calling me akka because his wife insists on calling me akka. I point blank told him "NO, you don't get to call me akka. You had better call me as I am - your athai"

What irks me more and makes me want to strangle people is when they call me ma'am or madam. I teach dance and despite me telling all the parents to call me by first name, 90% of them call me madam. I continuously ask them to call by my name - 2 years and it has not changed :sleepy:

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I too have aunt stories. Children in my parent's apartment has a discussion regarding how to address me , if it is akka or aunty. One child in 5 th standard calls me aunty but calls another, Same aged girl( unmarried) as akka. I asked the reaon. He said since u are married , I call you aunty and she is unmarried , so , she is akka.