1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aunty Aunty .. I Hate This Word.

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by MNR, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Once you are married and has a kid, you become aunty to everyone, even though other person is just 1- 2 years younger.

I hardy use aunty word.

This girl, 23 years something sister of my SIL(BIL's wife)., 8 years younger to me, called me aunty in our first meet. First time such a big girl calling me aunty. I was furious, did not say anything, by relation i would be her sister. Second time, same, i told gently dont call me so, I would be your sister by relation and I am not that old to be called aunty by you. She did not budge, third time the same. told her on the face, if you want to call me aunty, its better you dont talk to me.
    After that she calls me akka.

Next.. My DD's music teaches, she is also in early 20's , calls me aunty.. But she is called akka by my 5 year old DD. There would be some 10 years gap between me and this teacher.

I told her once, I dont like that word, dont call me so.
    On Jan 1st we met, she told happy New year aunty. I did not bother to answer/wish her.

Why can not these people understand/remember what other person told.

Would like to know how ladies in Indusladies manage these dreaded word?

sindmani, Physician, dc24 and 2 others like this.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha! I usually say, "just call me <guesshoo>" the second someone I consider far too old calls me aunty. In fact in India in my early 20s I had older friends in their 30s with kids and I used to ask the 4 and 5 year olds too to call me by my name.

It always works. Best is to tell people what you want them to call you before a pattern sets in.

sindmani, Vaikuntha, anika987 and 3 others like this.
  3. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

There are some creatures , who dont get what others are saying. Even to this teacher, told to call me by Name or akka.
    still she forgot conveniently. How do you manage in those cases?

anika987 likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Repeat the same incessantly making eye contact and without a smile the second time, raised eyebrows and and stern face the third time and an impatient sigh the 4th. Roll your eyes the 5th time if need be. And add a growl the 6th time? I must say I haven't come across people who needed anymore prodding! I haven't let the pattern set in the first place. Also don't give a choice. Choose name or akka. And stick to it.

Also works if you dramatically freeze with raised eyebrows when you hear the word uttered until they correct themselves. When they do, nod and say thank you.

Be relentless. Stop her mid sentence if it bothers you so much. They will eventually get it.

My annoyance is more with the parents of some teens and 20 year olds who insist to you their child should give you respect by calling you aunty. Duh!

sindmani, Vaikuntha and MNR like this.
  5. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

haha....dear OP,

I too used to be frustrated with this. college going kids think they can call me aunty and get away with it!

Trust me I don't take it fine at all!!

I tell in the first meeting only to call me akka, I tell them that I hate to be formal so let us maintain an informal wonderful relation...

if they still continue to call me aunty, I also call them aunty/ uncle in return and answer them.

In your case, reply to the music lady by telling your daughter to call her aunty! IF she still doesn't get it, you make a joke 'how do you remember the complex music notes when you cant remember to call me akka' ... and if she still persists, call her junior aunty!

sindmani, anika987 and MNR like this.
  6. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

Please do not get your kid involved in this as suggested by another poster.

I think in India this issue is common. I don't think it is done intentionally. They don't think much about this issue as you. Deal with it directly. You cannot expect ppl to understand you by being rude or by ignoring them. I suggest Next time u go to her class, tell her u want to talk to her in person and make a simple short conversation about just this topic. She will most likely get it

sindmani, anika987 and MNR like this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Hmmm... I wonder why ?
    I mean why is there so much negativity with this word ?

I found it strange as a child too about who to call aunty.
    A 25 year old unmarried girl is akka or didi but a 22 year old married girl would be aunty to all the kids. Strange, no?

Where I live the word "aunty" is almost an insult.
    "Dont dress like an aunty" , "why are you so aunty" - typically being old fashioned, traditional is associated with aunty.
    So a 50+year old woman would feel offended to be called an aunty

8. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

First time I told her not to call.. Second time my Dh was there,if I had said anything he would say I am making mountain out of mole. so I avoided telling anything.

Personally I liked @guesshoo 's idea. Will try next time.

Everyone is thinking that this aunty is like giving respect, mostly in towns and cities. In villages it is not much but fast catching up.

Funny part is my Co-sister called my SIL(borther's wife) aunty. my SIL is of my age, co-sister 2-3 years younger.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Yeah felt like treating her with same medicine i.e through my daughter, But why involve kids in petty fights.

anika987 likes this.
  10. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

ahh...point...

try calling her aunty yourself! :D