1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

As a woman, why would you give dowry to get married?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by blackbeauty84, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Chailover

Chailover Junior IL'ite

Hi Friends,

No time for reply. But felt like throwing my views. I too hate the dowry system. Though the parents say that they are giving for their daughter, the groom's family take it as granted and always expects something from DIL's in future.

Regards,
    Chailover.

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  3. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

A distant relatives of mine wanted a simple wedding for their son and they suggested the same to girls family. But girl's father who is quite rich got annoyed with that idea and said, they are not beggar and have enough money to conduct a lavish wedding for his daughter. Its a cultural thing and in many cases, its girls side who complicate the matter and in future, if anything goes wrong, boys side may have to face dowry case since dowry laws are not very clear and can be interpreted in different ways. Reading between the lines is easy there. I remember, a court granting bail to 2 month old baby in one dowry case. Dowry laws need to be amended.

sindmani, indian78 and ShilpaMa like this.
  4. anitaraju

anitaraju New IL'ite

ask her to put money into bank and look for good job and then she can give good life to poor male...thats far better than marrying some one by giving huge dowry...

Thanks,

AR

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

The price of a good is always set by demand (or the buyer) . It is never set by the seller. If there is no buyer at that price point the price will drop. Its true in every scenario I have seen. If the girls take a stand and refuse to give dowry then the system will die its natural death.
    Unfortunately most parents of girls fall for the " US /doctor/eng/ groom " and the demand is just too high...so the rate goes up...
    In my community there is no concept of giving dowry but during the peak 'US groom craze' the demands manifested in other ways .

sindmani likes this.
  6. SriVidya75

JAG

there are love marriages, where the grooms parents demand dowry / gifts..what to say about them then???

basically if a girl says no to an alliance because they asked for dowry, she may remain single for a long time...because as you said there are other girls who are ready to pay...

Either all the girls have to take a stand or the grooms have to stop this begging (directly/indirectly).

sindmani, shruthisp and ShilpaMa like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

8. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

Just to clarify SriVidya, my post had no case for taking money from Bride's parents to give her jwellery from groom's parents. That ofcourse, make no sense.
    When I say jwellery given by groom's parents, I mean given to her from their own money. Taking money from her to gift back to her, just doesn't make sense.

9. SriVidya75

got it....was just referring thats all....

10. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I think it's high time women say no to dowry. Instead of giving into peer pressure, society pressure they should think it as their life. If someone is expecting money to become your life partner, where is the partnership comes into the picture? Woman is not less to men in anyway but not many realise that & stand up against the bad practices.
    Time has come where wedding expenses are to be shared by both bride & groom family. One of my friend gave, 2 lakhs as the wedding expense to the bride family. His point was my relatives come & attend the function, have food why only bride's family pay the expenses.
    Another friend who had a love marriage had a simple temple wedding the wedding cost were contributed only by bride & groom.
    We should start with small changes first.

sindmani likes this.