1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

art of naming / nicknaming !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansimahi, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Ohh Godd!!! your post is awesome..couldn't resist laughing and rolling and read it twice..once alone and very next moment reading it out to DH...still wrong at the name pronunciations !!

1 person likes this.
  2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Comedy of ' name' errors, looks like, such a jolly post it was to read, thanks you made me LOL, no ROFL, because Iam at work!

Now my question of many years is answered! Why so many ba's and by's?? My mom's side is a huge family, my dad's side is not any less!
    So much so that when I go to my native my friends would call it 'Varusham 16' family! So many thathas called baba, babu, baby, chinna, chellaiah so on and so forth! Chittapaa would have a 'rourkela' prefix beacuse he had lived there! Baby because he was the youngest? Until A few years ago I did not know an uncle's real name because he was 'chellaiah' mama! God knows why, may be he was thatha's chellam!
    Tambrams are a unique lot indeed!

1 person likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mansi
    How very uncanny! Do you have powers like 'Aavi Amudha' to be able to connect with the dead? My maternal grandma never called me by my name for the same reason that you have so eloquently explained. I was just named after my thatha who died while I was nestling in my mum's tum as a six month foetus. They named me promptly Srinivasan and when everyone started calling me cheenu, my grandma started calling me as 'Paappa'! She continued to call me so till her death even when I had two 'paappas' of my own! My daughters would call me by this name in front of my friends and embarrass me no end!

You have virtually exhausted the list of ambis and I find it humanly impossible to add to the list. This thread has become a bench mark for thoroughness! By the way this Anatharaman Subbaraman, did he manage to catch at least one flight? But I would like to catch your flight of fantasy!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Mansi dear enjoyed your post and I am late here, enjoyed the fbs too. My husband calls everyone by nicknames only. Kondai for everyone , so dont know which kondai he is mentioning. For my daughters kutta and raju and for my son ammu. Though my name is Vijayalakshmi, everyone calls me by short name only, Viji, Vijaya, Vijay and my younger brother calls me Vijayakka, but it sounds like jakka. We had an aunt who was called baby till she died. Now I remember only this much

1 person likes this.
  5. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks deepu...glad i could make you laugh :)

6. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thank you caringwoman (love your id )....

7. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

hhahaha...I can imagine :) i used to call my daughter "bacchu" when she was a baby....didnt know that my fil's nickname was bacchu....my mil told me to refrain from using that name around fil :p

Thanks anisu....

8. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

hahah...this colour prefix is new to me ...thank God my family didnt know this...otherwise they would have picked this up too... bombay white ambi, bombay brown ambi... :D

thanks venviji...

9. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks tanoshi.... I think this convention of naming the children after the ancestors is unique to india and unintentionally becomes the cause for such confusions :) Even te girls are given their ancestral names but somehow they dont cause as many problem..

1 person likes this.
  10. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

thanks esbanu :)