1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

art of naming / nicknaming !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mansimahi, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks everhappy...it is gratifying to know that my family is not alone in its craziness .... our ambi is your murthy [​IMG]

I love your id...it gives such a positive feel!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

Thanks Deepa ...glad you like it!!

3. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

:rotfl:rotfl most certainly you would have become "Tea ambi" if my family had its way ....however there is one LIPTON ambi too in our family !!! :hide:

Me a stand-up comedien ...that too 50 dollars to hear me talk.....aww...that is the nicest complement ever ... thank you ..am honoured...:bowdown But i would advise you to hold on to your 50 USD.... coz i can only write funny cant talk funny :p

Thank you kamalji / tea ambi for the lovely fb :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

that`s Wonderful post Sumitha. lol

I would say this is the highlight in ur post because i could not control my laugh which has resulted tears in eyes. :))) thanks for such a wonderful post once again.

1 person likes this.
  5. caringwoman

caringwoman New IL'ite

Lovely & hilarious Post Sumitha ! LOL! Anotherman Superman takes the cake! You really have a flair for writing funny!

1 person likes this.
  6. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Sumitha,

I could not stop laughing at this snippet of yours dear :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl.....very hilarious post .....

Like you have "ambi" in your familiy we do have "gunda" in our families ....its a nick name which we use to the boy when he is baby.
    But we do have the actual names as "Gundu Rao" or "Gundiah" ....and the nick name for them would be "gunda" and just imagine people calling him his nick name in front of his grandson ..and so grand son is also gunda and grandfather is also gunda....:)

And few months ago ...me not realizing that my fil 's nick name is Gunda ..i was calling my DD as "gundamma" and my mil immediately told me ..oh ...please dont call your DD like that else your fil might get offended .....:rotfl so i stopped calling my DD like that ...

So even in "Kanbram" (Kannada Brahmin) houses ...we can find many gunda .....

1 person likes this.
  7. venviji

venviji New IL'ite

Anotherman superman!! lol

Hilarious post. My husbands family too has some 'Rajas' differentiated by their color...and to avoid confusion they are further tagged by the place name where they live...Vizag white raja, Tuni black raja, and so on...

1 person likes this.
  8. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Lol...Can't stop laughing at the thought of having as many Ambi in one family. My grandparents have 10 of us granddaughters and I now wonder if all our uncalled ancestral names are all the same!!
    Really enjoyed reading your post Sumitha...
    Thanks for sharing and cheering up my evening :D

1 person likes this.
  9. esbanu

esbanu Gold IL'ite

Nice post.. wow how many ambis.. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Oh loved it mansi!!!
    There are numerous ambi maamas, numerous Koma (short of gomathi) atthais , and 'n' number of Chee-dhaa (yes Seetha has been so beautifully massacred in our family) maamis in our family. There was a ramar-cheedha (who once played Lord Rama in a play, isnt that ironical too, bah!), mela-cheedha (an aunt of mine who lived in mela theru - translated to High street). Really wish all these relatives had unique names.

But the best part of it all, when I meet them in a family function, and there is suddenly an aunty in front of me, asking me, "Ennai theriyardha" (literally translated to "Do you recognize me"), I dont have to rake my brains much! I just say Goma/Chee-dhaa, and voila, here is the atthai whom I hadnt met for ages!!

1 person likes this.