1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Appreciation Vs Expectation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Dec 21, 2018.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Shri Viswa's thread on appreciating Ilites persuaded me to do some ramblings on appreciation and expectation.

It is quite a different feeling, expecting something, as compared to appreciating something. In one case, you feel owed, and in the other you feel awed. Think about that for a moment.

Human mind longs for appreciation and all cannot be true followers of'Karmanyeva Adhikarasthe, na phaleshu kadaachana".Even a person doing pravachan on this subject expects appreciation as to how he dealt with the subject.It is just like a sage longing to leave all the desires, which in itself is a desire.

Personality Development texts advise that those who have expectations, should consider exchanging that attitude for one of appreciation instead.

When we have an expectation, we are placing a demand on the other person or persons.

Appreciation had been order of the day, when literary talents were swinging at the top. Even while appreciating, there were comparisons. For example, Mahakavi Kalidasa,Dandin, Bharavi and Maagha -all were great poets and were appreciated a lot.But Maagha somehow was not very popular.
    To give more credentials to Maagha and to give him what he deserved, the following poem was circulated.

Upamaa Kalidasasya
    Bharaver artha gauravam,1
    Dandina; Padha laalityam,
    maaghe santhi trayo gunaa;11
    ( Kalidasa is known for his similies;Bharavi is famous for course content;Dandin is noted for his beautiful exuberant style and In Maagaha we find all the qualities combined.)
    Thus they started analysing and doing research works on upamas of kalidasa, the noted significance of Bharavi's verses, the literary style of Dandin compared to the All-in One Maagha.
    All became famous.
    Even among Ilites there are many brilliant scholars who convey great ideas and lengthy concepts which you can't find even in respective texts.It is the essence of so much research.Some write interesting narrations of their past experiences with some spicy masalas added.
    Some thrill us with humour and give entertainment and relaxation.
    There are moving real time incidents which are dealt with samayochithabuddhi and wisdom that can be an eye opener to many.
    There are people who participate with beautiful responses which sometimes excel the original writings.
    There are thousands of others who are silent readers.Each one has his/her own role to play in the team work.

By appreciating the things others do or what they write,it does not mean that one must be a door mat and simply accept whatever they tell. There are still standards which must be met.

But if all we ever do is to yell and never praise, our life may go waste.

Lectures about expectations or statements of appreciation for things done?Which weighs better?

We can take a few minutes to assess ourselves.
    where in our life we tend to demand or expect things from others without expressing your appreciation at least as often. We can trace all the past incidents relating to our life, from family to friends, workspot to society, and everything between.

How often do we expect and how often do we appreciate?

Definitely we can trace a design or pattern in our behaviour.
    We can easily assess whether we are consistently more expectant and less appreciative?
    That literally means that we have a tendency to have mastery over others.This may cause lot of administrative problems, if we are in charge of any situation.

We can do really something to tone down the expectations and demands, and work a little more appreciation into our lives.We can take even a real challenge, try to take a whole day with no expectation, and respond to everything with appreciation.

It can be challenging, but it is also quite rewarding. Even if we mess up a few times, it will still be one of the best days in our life.

There are poets like Srinivasan or Pavitra or Periamma .They deserve the praise saying "Your poetry is so powerful, you put into words exactly what I struggle to convey."

We can also appreciate the fiction writers like Rrg ,Geetha or Thyagarajan “I love how deep and rich this character is. He’s very relatable, and feels totally real.”
    A simple expression like
    "I look forward to your writing"or

"I wish I could write like you.'may work wonders.

Definitely it is a win-win situation. It is always comforting for the author to know that he can reach out to people and find the words they can’t seem to put together in their minds.

When readers are stated to fall in love with the author's words,he feels like the readers are getting to know him personally.Possibly his words can help the readers out of the crisis or lead them to make the right decisions.

I am not talking about literary
    articles alone.There have been articles about 'investment planning' and 'investment strategoes' which are of practical significance.
    We have been highly benefitted out of Smt Lakshmi's advices relating to manage the children of alternate skills.It was a psychology text with more practical hints.

We see so much of the negative side of life in the media that it is refreshing to have a positive report on the good things that are happening.

Some of the articles seem to be really a great motivator for many students who need a little extra push.
    Not even a single day passes without thinking about Gauri's famous ending lines

"A little bit of slope makes up for a lot of y-intercept."

Jayasala -42

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @jayasala42 madam, for appreciating me. So sweet of you to do that.
    Genuine expectation arises when you feel that you have been overwhelmed by what you did and want others to appreciate it so you get acknowledged. And you soon get bitter when that doesn't happen. But at some point I realized that I had been expecting all along and forgot to appreciate others for their best. :) -rgs

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

What a great analysis of Expectation Vs Appreciation. Well-meant appreciation given adds to building relationship and is the numerator adding value to life. Sense of gratitude expressed to someone adds value to our lives and hence also functions like a numerator. How we think, say and act adds value as the numerator in our lives.

When we perform actions, we make an attempt to excel and it unfortunately, creates a residue of expecting appreciation hidden behind ego. If it comes, when accepted gracefully into the heart, causes no damage. If it goes into the head as a great sense of pride, it creates negative impact in our lives. It changes our thinking from "I can do it well (self-confidence)" to "No one can do better than me (over-confidence)". Even if it doesn't come, if it doesn't bother us, it creates no damage. When it becomes a powerful denominator blocking our attitude, behavior and character, it erodes everything we created as a numerator in our lives.

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Good article on expectations and appreciation. Your snippets are always very informative and interesting. You articulate your thoughts into writing really well. Its nice to appreciate and be appreciated.

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42 madam,

This is a well analysed article and you have brought out the differences between Appreciation and expectation very well.

To be able to appreciate genuinely, one has to be humble without a bloated ego or low self confidence. A kind word or appreciation definitely encourages the receiver and builds a lot of goodwill too.

A little expectation is inevitable. But it is always advisable to reduce even that little from outsiders and develop a closer bond with one's self. This reduces unhappiness and bitterness a lot. But what to do, most of us are ordinary mortals working towards these ideals.

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had never heard this story about the Mahakavis. What a treasure trove of such stories you have ma'am! I save them so I can share them with my children someday. If I may request it, Ma'am you should make a thread to tell us one such story from everyday life, history and mythology every week or at your own pace. I promise to be an ardent follower.

Appreciation doesn't just benefit the receiver, it has an equally positive impact on the giver. On certain down days I have tried the experiment you mentioned above -- say something genuinely nice to everyone you encounter. I don't even have to say it out loud, just thinking something appreciative is enough to lift the spirits.

Expectation is natural. But as Geeta said it is important to keep expectations tempered. I like to think of it this way -- if praise gives me pleasure then it means that I am submitting to someone else's judgement of my worth. My judgement of my worth is intrinsic, it comes from me. Genuine criticism and appreciation can act as a barometer to guide me where I am doing right and where I am going wrong, and I welcome both, but they cannot be the metric by which I measure myself.

Thank you for quoting my signature. Those words have helped me push through many failures without giving up.

7. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

"When we have an expectation, we are placing a demand on the other person or persons'

The problem is expectations are not always openly expressed. They are always implied. For example, paying a visit to the sick friend is implied. It is expected that a Thank You note is sent for the gift received. It is expected that a few words of appreciations are said for favors received. But no one asks them openly. But everyone complains.

Viswamitra, Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  8. jayasala42

Thank you Srinivasan Sir,
    jayasala 42

9. jayasala42

Dear Viswa,
    As always you have added more value to my writing.You are right.s long as 'appreciation' kindles pride, it is ok. There seems to be a very thin line of demarcation between'I can do' and 'no one else can't or may not do'.When you aim to be the top scorer or ranker,the underlining idea is to excel everyone resulting at least in a notion that nobody should be above you.Many of the educationists feel that the child ,however deserving, should not be allowed to top the class always just for this reason.May look odd.But that is the hard reality.

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. jayasala42

Thank you jskls madam for your kind words and encouragement.