1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone used Medela FreeStyle Breastpump?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Pavarun, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hello Mommies,

I used a Medela Pump In Style Advanced backpack with my first one 3 years back. I donated it after I was done with pumping so looking to buy another one for my second one. I saw that Medela has a FreeStyle model - it looks to be very small and compact and also hands free. Anyone here used it? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion/recommendation.

2. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pavarun,

I used a Medela Pump-in-style at work for my first born and using the same for my second baby now.

Two of my friends at work use a freestyle and are extremely happy with that. It is hands free and very convenient clubbed with the efficiency of a Medela pump. So, if you have to choose between pump-in-style and freestyle, freestyle would be my recommendation.

-Gayathri.

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Pavarun - Am using Medela Swing and looks great for me.. But this is single electric & $144 only.. I tried to buy free style & medela adv ones but all seems to be too costly..>200 $

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

couple of my friends had freestyle and it broke after a couple of months of daily usage. the machine burnt out I think but medela was good enough to ship a replacement. I used the pump in style advanced 5 times a day for 15 months with no issues whatsoever.

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

pmahensa - I too read not-so-stellar reviews of FreeStyle and finally decided on good old PISA. Unfortunately I'd donated after my first one so had to buy another one. And this one lasted about 11 months for me (it still works great). I'm very happy with it.

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Pooja - I have seen medela adv pump in target but its $350 na? how much you got this for?

7. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

pump in style advanced is abt 250, freestyle is ard 350.
    mine was gifted by a friend, if you search online you can get it for around 200.

8. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

I've been using Medela Freestyle for the past 3 months. I pump anywhere between 2-3 times a day 15-20 minutes each time. I'm currently on maternity leave; once my leave ends, I'll be pumping more than nursing.

So far, here's what I like about the freestyle

-it works great, am able to get more than enough milk for my baby.
    -easy to clean and sanitize, no tubes involved while cleaning as milk doesn't go in there. Only need to clean the horns, connectors (which comes apart very easily) and bottles.
    -Very small and portable, easy to carry to work.
    -Has an in-built battery so you needn't have an outlet around to pump
    -empties the breast in less than 20 minutes if suction setting is set correctly
    -has a two phase mode to encourage let down, especially for those who have a hard time letting down with a pump.

I haven't yet used the hands free option, but I've heard it's a boon.

Cons:
    -you need to make sure connectors are dry before using otherwise water could get into the tubes.
    -when the pump runs on battery, the suction power is a bit lower. You'll need to set it to a higher than your normal setting to get the right suction.
    -The softshield that comes with it gets warped if you sanitize it using the medela bag. Medela customer service asked me not to do that and sent me new shields. Mere washing in warm soapy water should suffice.

I've never owned a pump in style, so I won't be able to compare the two products.