1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone took marriage counselling in USA?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by klniha, Dec 3, 2012.

1. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I and my husband have a tough time with fights and arguments that run into verbal abuses on each other and each other's families. We are both open for marriage counselling before we decide on divorce as last option. We have a kid. Now my only dilemma is do these US doctors understand the Indian setup of inlaws involvement in marriages? We stay in Houston, Texas. I am not comfortable to go to an Indian therapist. I am a doctor myself but no knowledge on this marriage therapy side.

Pls share your experiences if you have been to an American therapist. Did it help? Did they understand your typical Indian woes of inlaws interfering etc etc.

Thanks

2. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

Dear op,
    I can't say I have but two couples who are close to us have. They are based in difeerent city though. I think counselling definitely helps. In both the cases, husbands were the ones who initiated the idea of counselling.
    For one of the couples, they identified that wife had a behavioral problem and after a few sessions, they were told that the counsellor does not see any improvements in future. He also advised them not to have kids since it was definite that in future the severe disconnect, anger and frustation will be passed to the children. The couple moved and tried counseling in different places for alomst ten years. All counsellors more or less said exactly the smae thing. The couple are divorced now. They had american as well as Indian therapists. Dont worry about having Indian therapist. Infact, i think indian therapist may have a better understanding of Indian family dynamics. The pressure that indian couples take from parents is far more than Americans.

For the other couple, issues were not so severe and they were able to make some headway in their relationship by getting their families not too involved.

I would also say that one of the couples who ar not taking counselling, the case is almost the same if not worse like the first case. They have bad fights, breaking tjings, hurting thrmselves, stranded with family, and disconnect and anger on kids. But I think the first couple actually recognized the problem as phscyhiatric problem while the other coupke just fights blaming other's unreasonable anger and deoression.
    I truly believe that it helps. Plus, I think a couple who tries therapy, whatver be the end result, make or break, show true commitment for actually trying to make their marriage wok.

2 people like this.
  3. klniha

klniha Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for the information. It was very useful. I will try to sort things out with the help of a counselor. I like to keep my issues with DH private and anonymous, thats the reason, I wanted to avoid an Indian therapist coz I felt it might be leaked in the circle.

4. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Isn't privacy in such issues is a very serious matter in US? Won't the counselor face charges if it gets leaked through him/her?

1 person likes this.
  5. ennakshatram

ennakshatram Bronze IL'ite

Klniha,
    I am in a troubled marriage, and have been to therapists. In fact, I continue to meet my therapist, weekly once. It helps a lot. Psychologists have very good ideas on human behavior, and have valuable suggestions. It is wonderful that both of you think of meeting with a counselor. Therapists are highly professional (as far as I know). So it does not matter whether they are Indian or American. I also think that the understanding of the family set-up in India is not necessary qualification on the part of the therapist. Beanstalk said it well. The therapists can help us choose what we want to do with our marriage and to understand where we stand in our relationship. In my case, I learned "response taking". Even when your spouse talks bad to you and do bad things to you, it is possible to lessen the effect of your spouse's behavior by adjusting your response taking approach.
    nakshatram

6. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Therapists are sworn by confidentiality clauses and breaking it could possibly lead to suspension of license

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Unless you want a counselor/therapist familiar with Indian culture, better to avoid. Even in cities with huge Indian population, Indian circle continues to be a small world, and if you bump into the therapist socially, and unwittingly acknowledge knowing him/her, it could be awkward. How would you explain knowing the therapist...

And therapists are bound by privacy rules and could face charges if they break client's confidentiality, but why even give that a chance to happen... Once even a small detail gets leaked, suing the therapist will be cold comfort.

8. hgulla

hgulla Silver IL'ite

Agree that your session details with the therapist is confidential. I highly doubt if anyone would risk their career leaking information.

You could look for a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) or a LCSW in your area. We have visited a LCSW but not particularly for marital issues. But LCSW does give a lot of suggestions on behavior and life style changes, which will have a postive effect on marriage as well. If the person feels you need a psychologist or a LMFT, they will give you a referral as well.

I am not sure how much their knowledge of desi culture really matters, in law and spousal problems are global.

Best wishes!

1 person likes this.