1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone landed in job using H4 EAD work permit-plz share

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Einstein21, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Hobby

Hobby New IL'ite

Hi Aspha,
    I'm just curious to know about this website that you posted (www.powertofly.com )
    Do you have any personal experience applying jobs in powertofly?
    or anyone you know got job?
    please share!

Thanks!

2. LavanyaGunreddi

LavanyaGunreddi New IL'ite

Hi Aspha,
    I need some details regarding H4 EAD. I see that you have great experience as you have been staying in US for quite a long time.
    My Husband is planning to travel to US on H1B Visa. I am currently working as a technical writer in Bangalore, India. Since you are in the same profession, can you provide your insights about the opportunities for Indians as Technical writers over there?
    And since you are also working on H4 EAD Visa, please share the criteria required. Is it mandatory that the spouse should have worked for 6 years?

Thanks and Regards,
    Lavanya

3. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

4. LavanyaGunreddi

Hi Aspha,
    Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. It indeed helped a lot.

For now the only information that I have is my husband's job location, which would be Holtsville, NY. I have completed my engineering in CS and have 8 years of experience in Technical Writing. So thought to do so ground work to check on the job opportunities for technical writers over there.

As you rightly said, I don't think any company would come forward to sponsor for my H1B.:neutral: will wait and see!!

Will my experience count if at all i search for a job or a course on the technical writing would make the search easier? If you have done any course, please share the details.

Regards,
    Lavanya

5. LavanyaGunreddi

Aspha,
    Sorry for bugging you !! Just read that you are working as a part time.
    Is part time technical writing jobs common there? I don't see such openings frequently here in India. Even if there are, the remuneration is pathetic. How is the situation there? How many hours per week would be required for part time?

In case, if we move it would be with our two kids so checking from that end too :blush:. Excuse me for asking too many things at once.

Thanks and Regards,
    Lavanya

6. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

No issues! Sorry for being late to reply. Yes part time jobs are pretty common here as some people work 2 jobs. Remuneration here is decent. Normally for such positions they pay hourly and current rate for experienced candidates is anywhere from $35 to $50 per hour. It may be more as you gain experience and depends on company too. I have a classmate who earns $75 per hour and works 5 days a week. For part time hours its mutual decision between employee and employer. Like my company needs only 16 hours per week that's 2 days of work. Also, if you get lucky you may even land a work-from-home opportunity.

7. LavanyaGunreddi

Hi Aspha!! Not everyone will reply to the queries asked. Thanks for taking time and posting your reply. If at all I come and try for a job, you will be my SPOC for any doubts during the initial days. Hope you don't mind :grinning:

Have you done any tech writing course? If so, please share the details.

Regards,
    Lavanya

8. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Hey no problem! Happy to help. Yes I did MS in Technical Communications from Northeastern University. It was an online degree program.

Technical Communication Masters Degree Online | Northeastern University Online

9. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Does your H have a chance to get onto L1 instead of H1b. That way you will have the advantage to work on L2.

10. dhivlawyer

dhivlawyer New IL'ite

Hi, I recently got my H4 Ead and SSN. I was a lawyer back home.. trying to find a job as a lawyer.. but thats not why i posted in this forum.. anyone considered starting their own classes? like music classes n the like? i want to. im jus looking to see if there is any procedure to be followed before i go online to say I am available to take classes