Anyone decided to do family planning immediately after delivery?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnithaPartha, Dec 5, 2013.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Anyone decided to do family planning immediately after delivery?
    One of friend suggested that it is good to do family planning after 2 kids if not planning for 3rd...

Am just confused about this.. If so, what methods are good here in USA? Will it cause wt gain if done soon after delivery?

Please give me suggestions.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was thinking about but later changed my mind and went for IUD.

Tube sterilization is available here. Only selected ob/gyns do the procedure. It does not require an overnight stay but you have to have anesthesia. it does not affect your period cycle. If you were having irregular periods then it would continue to be the same.

3. AnithaPartha

Ramya,
    Can you please give me more details on IUD? It is temporary?

4. ramyaramani

IUD is intra uterine device. It is long term birth control. After comparing it with pills, rings, condoms, patches I found this to be a better option. In IUD the device is inserted in the uterus. There are two types of IUDs: hormonal and non hormonal.

Hormonal: Mirena - This will make changes to your body i.e periods would reduce or eventually stop after some time. This needs to be changed at 5 years.
    Non Hormonal: Paragard - This will not affect your periods or PCOS. If you are having irregular periods then it would continue to be the same. This needs to be changed at either 5 years or 10 years.

In both cases you may experience irregular spotting/bleeding for several months after insertion. Both are 99% effective in preventing pregnancies.

Usually both of these are covered in insurance subject to only the co-pay charges.

I chose Paragard since I did not want to deal with the hormonal changes. Hormonal changes have several side effects: increased mood swings, weight gain etc. I decided I would rather deal with PMS symptoms than going through mood swings everyday.

1 person likes this.
  5. AnithaPartha

Thanks a lot Ramya.. Basically, I was looking for a method which does not cause wt gain.

6. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

I had to have emergency c-section with my son, so this time I am thinking to have repeat c-section and will get my tubes tied along with it.

7. ramyaramani

Paragard does not cause weight gain.

8. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Weight gain or loss - it depends dear friend. Please check with your gynaecologist on this. I have heard both good and bad stories about this. I do not want to discourage you on this. Rather than we discussing on this, your gyna can guide you on this. It would be better. Every woman and her anatomy is unique. So its best to get a doctor opinion before you convince yourself.