1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Any One Using Portable Stove Which Use Propane In Home

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by deepthivinayak1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

recently I saw few Indian cooking videos where they use portable stove (hebbar's kitchen and rak's kitchen cooking videos). I am going to deliver baby in few weeks. My in laws are going to come. My MIL can't stand for long to cook. I think if I have this portable stove, it will be useful to her to sit and cook. Do anyone use it? If so, what brand and where you bought it?

2. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I had used the stove when there was a power failure for a day. It was a colemans butane stove which I bought at walmart. First check if it is safe to use indoors. I read somewhere it is not safe to use it indoors because of air quality. I dont remember safety precautions written in that stove. But I used it outdoor only. Since you are pregnant confirm with your doctor too, dont take risk.
    Secondly, I dont know how it will hold for continuous heavy cooking. Also it is not economical. I remember paying $3 for a small can which lasted for a day for light cooking.
    Maybe try checking some blogs related to camping, only those people use it regularly and you might get a better idea.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Costco Wholesale
    Amazon.com : Coleman Classic Propane Stove : Camp Stoves : Sports & Outdoors

I have used the above two. One for about 8 yrs, and another about 4 yrs. Only used them outdoors. And placed at standing height. The propane tank (cylinder) looks like this: http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/172/17286_2000x2000.jpg When it gets empty, you take it to a refill center and exchange it for a full one, or they fill up your empty one ( I forgot).

Can a propane stove be used indoors - reviews in amazon and elsewhere say yes. And some reviews seem to say that butane stoves are safer than propane stoves for indoor use.

I have not used them indoors, but from the extensive use outdoors, I'd say: butane and propane stoves can be used indoors, if the area is properly ventilated. But occasionally, not daily use. And not placing on the floor. Should be on a low table or platform.

Frankly speaking, I would hesitate to have an older person from India use it, when I am not able to quickly run/go downstairs and help if needed. And definitely not with a baby in the house.

4. deepthivinayak1

@kalainat and @Rihana
    Thanks. I am staying in an apartment where ventilation is limited. I thought if I get something portable,my mil can cook without asking my help(so that I can be free with my little one) for dosa,chappathi I have electric dosa griddle,which I can use when she wants to prepare. Same way if I have portable stove, she ca sit down and cook easily. I don't want to take risk. Better she cook in normal stove.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Patio?

6. deepthivinayak1

@Rihana ,
    I have small patio and also my apartment don't encourage these type of activity in patio. Patio is only for gas grill, patio furniture and plants. For other,they fine.

Rihana likes this.