1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Annoying Aunties, Has This Happened With You Also?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by fourthaugust, Dec 18, 2017.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,

Why do you think they say that? Do they mean you are thin?

If that is the case, I would say, “ really aunty? My dh loves that I have maintained my physique even after two pregnancies, he likes that I am fit and trim, just like before.. and I like to keep him happy ”:relaxed:

And you should be proud, that you have lost the pregnancy weight which a lot of us try hard to lose.. as long as you are healthy, don’t worry about those aunties!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Thanks..this really means a lot.

3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

You tell them that your kids are helping you with the weight loss program.And you are happy about it. Also tell them that they must be knowing it better than you.

These Ladies would need a subject to start a conversation.So this could be one.

Dishaa, nakshatra1 and fourthaugust like this.
  4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Hey, different perspective.. I'v heard such comments all from my childhood ..so do many people I know. I don't think they mean it in a negative way, rather that is a common way of how elders greet the youngsters- by showing concern for their health/weight/color... they may not actually think so...just saying out of habit. I know it's super annoying but really that's just their habit/culture.I will advise you not to get disturbed by it, ofcourse like others have suggested, you can try to change the topic to something different, like their weight etc
    As for gossiping about DILs, well they don't know internet so where else to vent. I would advise just let them be. Even if your MIL hangs out with them, maybe your MIL will learn to appreciate you after hearing rant about their DILs, and it will shatter MIL's idea of ideal bahu so it will reduce her expectations upon you.

Sunburst, sanjuruby3 and fourthaugust like this.
  5. Sri2196

Sri2196 Silver IL'ite

I am quite skinny too and get the same comments from everybody like don't you eat n all. I just say,maybe i should eat your haath ke khana.

fourthaugust and Sangeeta85 like this.
  6. diamond1880

diamond1880 Senior IL'ite

Dont be rude to these aunties, they would start to bad mouth about you, smile at their sympathy, occasionally tell the plumpest amongst them " i some how am not gaining like you :tongueclosed:, etc etc" sort of hinting them to shut up

fourthaugust likes this.
  7. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Yeah..i need to learn the art of avoiding or shutting them up....these aunties are so judgemental and none of us are spared of their remarks(we dils are friends and know what their mils have to say about us) . The same aunty who is so concern about my well being labels me very lazy because I don't massage my younger one in the evening. So I know their true colours and don't really like them. But having said that , I am so afraid when it comes to being rude to them because of the obvious reasons.

8. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

So true. I myself had weight issues throughout my life and I grew up hearing about my weight from each and every stranger. Some commenting to lose weight, some false commenting that I look thin. Some mean well and speak what they think. Just keep ignoring these things. When I go to India, I know someone comments without thinking much. Its part of our culture. We can not change them but learn to be inert to such comments. i have seen so many my relatives in India, who do not mind any of comments on their figure etc and answer back diplomatically so no one hurts. I can not so that but that seems best way these days

fourthaugust likes this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Just say ' what are you saying aunty.....people these days die to look like this.I am blessed to be naturally slim when others are working so hard to lose weight'.....:rolleyes:

10. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

OP you are quite lucky to be so slim even after having 2 kids...just ignore these jobless aunties..tell them that being slim n trim is the trend these days, and how being overweight can attract all kinds of health issues..any mention of the usual diabetes, BP, cholesterol prob etc can make them instantly alert..tell them that ur maintaining your weight now itself so u don't face such probs later on ( if you know for a fact that any of them has particular health issue u can mention that it, it will shut her up) ..
    I would also be concerned if I saw aunties venting to my MIL about their DILs and suggesting methods to "keep their DILs under control "..u can casually hint to your MIL that you dislike such kind of bad mouthing of other people, and how such ladies poison the mind and manipulate other "gentle and good natured people " ( I.e your MIL) into doing stuff that spoil harmony of the family..on the other hand as one more person said, if she hears how bad the Other DIls are, she may appreciate you a lil bit and treat you better.
    You can tell those aunties "aunty won't your DIL feel bad if she knows that you told these things about her. How would you feel if she vents about you to her friends.? " that may make them to tone down the bitching a wee bit..
    Beyond that I don't know if there is much you can do apart from ignoring them and considering them to be similar to the vamps whom you see in Hindi TV serials who are always scheming and manipulative!
    By the way, most of us also vent about in laws left and right, atleast we confide discreetly and not publicly to damage anyone's reputation so it's ok..
    Can you also tell me how u maintain such a slim figure?i need to slim down ..!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    fourthaugust likes this.