1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Ode To One Song

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Rihana, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You asked for it. A jilted lover almost files a lawsuit.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Nope. Not even close. This is more self-pitying - "mein paagal aashiq becahara"? What a wuss. :smash2::cool:
    Bas do boond sharaab pii liya hamare liye? Chak kar dekho - asli pyaar to hoti hai zeher!:lol:

I didn't know this song.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

That's turn of the century for you. Jilted lovers evolved from satanic black curse to emotional blackmail. That's not self-pitying. That's more of -- "I will drink myself to death and leave a suicide note to frame you as the culprit".

sokanasanah likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Interesting - I need to research the etymology!:rolleyes:

5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Here is a sneakoo from my ultra-cool collection!

I love this song. Story behind: There is no anecdotal clothespin to hold it up. I love the sizzle and the sweat but the most I like is the grace of the legged freaks.

If you know a thing or two about dance, you will realize sooner than later that grace is difficult to accomplish in any dance style. One of the reasons I like Karisma more than Madhuri in Dil To Pagal Hai is because Karisma oozes of grace in her dance moves. To bend and rise your body in a stylish contortion is amazingly difficult. I like this song as the dancers in their cavalier sensuality and sports outfits manage to appeal to that poise filter. The moves and steps are so simple! Try them at home, you will be flummoxed at that hip bob at 0.54-0.56 min. (Keeping this discussion only to Indian songs.)

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

When the battle lines were drawn, I dug my heels in the Karisma camp.
    That woman has grace, spirit, poise and everything that a fumbling hoofer aspires to be one day.

Dil To Pagal Hai was not Rahul and Pooja but Nisha all through the way for me for her svelte and panache.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

My dad wanted all of us to cultivate a classical leaning.

He asked, "Music?"
    I, "Dad, me and music?"
    He asked, "Instrument?"
    I, "Me and instrument?"
    Dad: "Dance?"

Not to offend my dad I agreed to join the kuchipudi dance course. I was a scruffy kid back then. I used to do that ta ta ta steps and moan. Why was I even learning this!

Years later, I was part of a gypsy cohort and we were supposed to dance somewhere. Then started a hunt to select and choreograph a dance number. We selected the song but who will choreograph. Eyes scanned this blabber mouth because I once blurted out somewhere that I was clumsily trained in classical dance. I outright refused. I learnt some ta ta ta as kid and might have also jumped and danced. But I hardly remember any of that. This song was my renewed endeavour to consider dance and enjoy it. Or rather dance to something that I fell in love with. I cherish this song! I was almost declared a Hitler back then for my martinet brandish of achieving synchronisation in moves. In a group of twelve people, more than grace, talent or finesse, it is the synchronisation that matters. Those were days and nights of relentless practice and chaffed feet. I still lack the classical ear, limb and larynx in my body, however I admire the prescience my dad showed back then while imploring me to go to the classes, "You will one day have some rigged use of it."

Life ain't worth if one does not build such experiences (or experiments).

8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Mistt, joylokhi, Sandycandy and 6 others like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@Amica,

You chose mere desh ki dharthi.....just love it! I was mentioning the song to someone else on whats app! Thank you!

Oopsie...assumed this was Carnatic thread!! Thank you for the tag!

Amica likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Amica
    Loved all the songs. So beautiful!
    Teared up.

Srama and Amica like this.