1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Indo- German Expedition

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by desposhwetha, Oct 22, 2017.

1. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Autumn was setting in slowly and the gold of the leaves was shimmering. Aarushi was walking slowly from the bus stop after the regular “choos” from her friends. Her brother had texted her to take a bus as he was going to a party with his friend. Wait till I turn 18 and get my car, she texted back. Nibbling a crossaint, she walked slowly to her house in Heilbronn, the south of Germany. The thought of meeting her extended family from India was troubling her for the past one week ever since the day her dad announced that his sister and her family are coming to visit them.

Aarushi was an Indian girl born and raised in Heilbronn. Her parents had to move to Germany in 1980’s and she had never been to India neither had she met her Indian relatives. It was always a dilemma in her head and brain. Everything about her and around her bothered her. Her brown skin, her black hair didn’t fit amidst the whites. She felt she belonged nowhere. Neither German nor Indian. Her identity was lost, she believed. She couldn’t not understand the Indian festivals which her parents celebrated neither could she enjoy the Germany festivals as it was alien to her in all ways. She wanted to drink beer like her friends, but the thought of her mom screaming wild at her made her choose a hot chocolate every time. She didn’t realise why kissing was not allowed in public place in India. And everytime her mom detailed on their arranged marriage, she was confused and was sure she would never be able to marry a stranger.

She had developed an unknown dislike for this family from India, as she felt they were the reason for her anonymity. His father on the other hand were super excited on welcoming his sister and her family. He had not seen them for more than 20 years, and memories flooded him whenever he thought of her. Aarushi’s parents were busy preparing their house for the guests. She had a list of to-do’s from her mom and she had no intention to do it anytime.

Her brother came home late and she was waiting to talk to him about the unwanted guests. He made coffee after dinner for both, a habit they have picked up from their German friends and sat down, knowing well she would rant.

I hate these ppl coming you know- she said.

Why do you show so much hate? They are our family- Ishaan said

I do not consider them as my family, after all we have never even met them- Aarushi.

Don’t you think it is sweet of them to visit us after so many years?- Ishaan

I think it is just a nuisance. It is not fair to inform us two weeks in advance about their visit. I have to cancel my trip to Avignon with my school to accommodate these ppl. – Aarushi.

C’mon don’t be a kid. You are 15. Grow up arush- Ishaan.

Hell with you anna- Aarushi.

She sipped her coffee lost in thoughts. Little did she know she is going to embark on the most adventurous journey with her cousins and her brother in the next two weeks. Life is always a magic.

Sweetynila, Frangipani, Lata6 and 9 others like this.

2. meepre

meepre Gold IL'ite

Great start dear, the last para makes us expect a wonderful adventure read. Waiting for more....

3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Ahhh nostalga........

periamma likes this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Good start .Expecting unexpected adventures for Aarushi

5. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Bro, wake up. Chennai Central is approaching. A fellow passenger was waking him.

The voice shook Arjun from his sleep. His new Samsung Galaxy showed 4.30 am. “Nearing the station”, he texted his dad and got up hurriedly to grab his bag. He peeped out of the window to see the dark sky. His father picked him at the station and drove home chatting about this first months at IIT. Arjun had already narrated daily incidents to his parents over skype, but it was only natural for his parents to be excited of his admission to the most renowned college and they couldn’t stop themselves talking about it.

His mom Devi was expecting them eagerly and gave a warm hug on seeing him. Sipping a strong coffee. He asked her slowly, “Ma, should we definitely go to Germany now? I don’t even know your brother or his family”. Her eyes dropped. She knew Arjun was not very excited on seeing her niece and nephew. It was understood that expecting them to be affectionate with their unknown cousins was illogical. She didn’t answer his question and proceeded to make his favorite breakfast.

Devi’s husband and her brother had been good friends after her engagement. It was during one of the marriage rituals, there erupted an unexpected argument seeded by a jealous relatives. The war of words continued through the marriage and finally her husband made her promise that she would never contact her brother. She didn’t have a choice then. A scene that is so common in many households. She heard about her brother from her parents as years passed by, but never contacted him. Her brother tried reaching out a couple of times, but she ignored them all. Her husband was a great father, loving spouse and was the love of her life. He made her study further, empowered her to take a job as a teacher and was the ideal husband. Every time she thought of her brother, all these good of her spouse flashed by and she silently wept her tears.

It has been eighteen years since she last saw her brother. During their wedding anniversary dinner, her husband passed on a paper with a German telephone number.

“This is the number of your brother. I got it from our cousin. Call and talk to him if you want to” – Sekar said softly.

Devi didn’t pick the paper.

“Ok Devi. He and I fought. So ideally we should patch up. Let me call him and you can join in. No compulsions though. I just feel carrying this burden of ego with me weighs me down” – Sekar said in a voice that was full of emotions.

She was merely stunned by this.

Sekar called the number and after a few minutes of awkward pleasantries, it was just emotions running high in both ends. Dharma, Devi’s brother had invited them to Germany and they planned to meet as early as they could. November, it was fixed and Sekar was busy with the VISA formalities.

And the day of their flight to Frankfurt arrived.

Arjun ate his breakfast in silence. Joining IIT had been great and although the academic work load was more than hectic. He had made a great gang of friends. The dorm life was cool than he expected. Sometimes he missed bullying his sister and his mom’s food, but his friends cheered him instantly. This sudden trip to Europe ruined him participating in the college cricket match. Hell with this uncle of mine, he thought. He looked at his younger sister Maya who was busy repacking her bag for the nth time. She seemed the most excited person in his family for this trip. She had been busy shopping online every day after school and tricking both her parents to pay her enormous bills. Her’s was the heaviest baggage of all and she pleaded her dad and her brother to stuff her things in their bags. Ma, can we postpone the flight to tomo? My blue jacket is still on the way- she screamed. Arjun ran to hit her, although she ducked it. Do you like my pullover? She chided him. Arjun looked at her and smiled. She is just adorable, he thought.

36 hours later.

Sekar was wheeling his trolley looking for the exit. The flight had been very comfortable and they were extremely excited in meeting their family. Aarushi’s dad and mom were waiting at the arrival and Ishaan was checking his FB on his phone. Aarushi was practically dragged to the airport by her mom and she sulked the whole time and sat in a corner with a coffee.

Here they come, screamed Dharma in happiness. Aarushi looked up without lifting her head. Arjun was walking parallel to his dad and looked straight at Aarushi. She disliked him instantly.

Lata6, Rihana, ashima10 and 5 others like this.
  6. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

good start dear !!

7. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

@desposhwetha:

Thanks for giving us a story.
    This is super cool and definitely a very good start...

Lol... I can imagine...

--PS

8. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

very good start. eager to read the next

9. desposhwetha

desposhwetha Gold IL'ite

Sekar, Dharma, Devi and Padma were overjoyed and repeating how happy they were to meet after so many years and how much life had changed. Dharma kept thanking Sekar for the initiative and how much he had missed talking to him and Devi. They introduced their kids and Ishaan and Arjun gave a warm hand shake. Maya squeaked a shy hi to Ishaan and the elders giggled at her. Aarushi didn’t smile to anyone and stood there in silence. Ishaan whispered to her in a stony voice.” Don’t be like this” She stared at him in his eyes and continued to sulk. Ishaan wanted to make up for her part and offered to drive Arjun and Maya, so that the elders could chat happily together in their car. Aarushi didn’t like this idea much, but was dragged to the rear seat by her brother.

Arjun: Nice car Ishaan. Looks cool. I love the color. Audi is a luxury vehicle in India.

Ishaan: Yea. It was my dream to own one. It costed me a lot dude.

Arjun: Oh, did you fund it yourself?

Ishaan: Well, I work as a student intern for a company and had saved some money. My dad funded the rest though.

Arjun: That is cool, you know. I still live on my pocket money (laugh)

Ishaan: (laugh)

Aarushi: We are not lazy as you. We start to work at 16. (Smirk)

Arjun turned to look at her, but didn’t say a word. Maya was upset with this comment.

Ishaan: Oh, look who is talking about laziness. Wait till they see your room and the mess you live in

Aarushi: Stop bullying me. I am not a kid.

Ishaan: You are. By all means.

Arjun and Maya looked at each other and then looked out of the windows to enjoy the scenic beauty. It was 7° outside. A beautiful autumn. The car sped in the Autobahn. Rihanna was singing work work work and Maya was humming in a low voice. Ishaan turned around and said, “Hey Maya, sing aloud, looks like you enjoy this song”. She smiled and looked down. Arjun winked at her and said, yea. Go on Maya. She aspires to be a singer someday, but is forced to study maths and computers.

Ishaan: Why is that?

Arjun: Because our education system is that way. We should study a professional course to earn a good job. Stereotypical. But there are some exceptions.

Ishaan: Interesting. Tell me more about it

And they chatted about how different German and Indian education was. Maya was tired of the long flight and the immigration and drifted off to sleep.

Aarushi was feeling strange. Her heart beat wild and she was feeling very uneasy. Ever since she had met Arjun and his family, she had a terrible nausea. She sensed danger. That terrible sensation of hot blood rushing all over her body was back. The last time she felt it was when Ishaan was playing soccer and she knew he was going to be hurt. He came back home with a fractured leg and bruised face, confining himself to bed for the next 3 months. The cars reached their house.

Dharma lived in the town of Heilbronn, south of Germany. The house had four bedrooms and was built in Indo German style. The living room had huge windows giving a full view of the lawn. A small fire place was built in the corner. Most part of the house was in white. Over lunch, they spoke about Devi’s marriage and how she and her husband never spoke before their marriage. The teens loved it and laughed along except Aarushi who was supposed to share her room with Maya and Ishaan with Arjun. After placing their bags, the four were sitting in the balcony watching the rain. Maya went back to her room and returned with two gifts and gave it to her cousins.

I have never had anyone other than Arjun as relatives all my life. I am very happy now, to know that I have cousins. Take this, she said and gave Ishaan a wrapped pack of a book and a cap.

To Aarushi, she gave a book and an Indian Kurti. Ishaan was very pleased with this gesture and thanked her profusely. The same time, Aarushi touched the book and fainted.

Lata6, ammusatheesh and Rampuri9 like this.
  10. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Story going in a good pace!
    Keep them coming