1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am i wrong in thinking that ILs are becoming greedy ? - long post

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by seekingpeace, Jan 6, 2013.

1. seekingpeace

seekingpeace Silver IL'ite

Just wanted to understand if am wrong to think like this reg our finances - sorry for the long post - wanted ur advice and also wanted to vent as this has been bugging me for quite some time

PILs are financially dep on my DH - only son..FIL doesnt have pension or any such monthly income...they get the monthly rent of DH's house ( they are not staying there)..and DH also sends some money every month - no issues, its his dutry to support his parents and they have every right to expect..

For our expense..we each pool in x% of our salary every month and any extra expense is borne by me as I earn much more than DH infact any major household exp for us - like a microwave or anything for our house is by me by default ..any vacations that me and DH take - 90% of the cost is borne by me ..both of us have our housing loans as well

Other thing is DH is doing distance MS and this costs 1lac every semester..For his MS,I have contributed mostly as DH can save very little every month with house exp+Home loan+parents money..and i dont mind paying as well

I also closed the marriage loan taken by DH for our marriage ( PILs in really bad fin. situation..cudnt afford marriage expense) even though our side paid for the marriage (south indian culture).Initially after marriage, DH started paying me a fixed amount every month to repay the amrriage loan even though i didnt want it, he was insistent and so i agreed..

i tried to plan our finances with DH saying lets put % to everything so that we are clear - but everytime i brought this topic, it lead to argument..

In our 3.5 yrs of marriage DH has not got me any jewellery (gold or anything exp) and i also never asked..Now i recently asked DH for a diamond ring since he hasnt bought me anything after marriage and also since am pregnant it wud be a nice gift..a few days after i asked..when i reminded him humorously he picked a big fight that how can i even dare to ask even though i know his financial situation..
    t
    his is what really ticked me off..last year for FIL's 60th they wanted it to be very grand and DH spent 60k on this and whatver returns came went to FIL and a month back FIL wanted to buy a plot for 30k from close relative as it was verycheap..DH told me accidently.. he didnt plan on telling me..and whatver luxuries PILs want ( AC/inverter/expensive mobile phone/LCD TV..) everything DH got..i never complained..i encouraged coz its his duty to do..

but after that fight for ring, i felt..didnt i also deserve something? when he could use his savings on buying whatever they asked ..cudnt he for once buy this? anyways in the fight i told him tat i wud never expect anything and later he apologized and told that he will buy..

now recently DH told me accidently that FIL has a savings of 2.5 lac which he made by restricting the monthly expense..i was surprised bcoz every month MIL keeps cribbing tat they dont buy fuits or healthy stuff coz of money.. and they ask DH for anything extra for eg..FIL needed 2k extra last month and he asked DH to transfer( he transfers x fixed amount of what DH gives every month to savings..so by end of the month they are short at times and ask DH to transfer) ..they never touch the savings..and recently they asked DH to increase the amt he is transferring as they are unable to manage ( then how the savings???).

Now recently ILs visited us and i accidently somwhow told MIL that i asked DH for a diamond ring..few days after that i came to know during some other argument with ILs that MIL had asked DH why she couldnt buy on her own..why is she expecting from you..she and FIL also directly asked me this..why cant u buy urself from ur salary.i got angry and told her that he is my husband and a wife will expect only from her H..MIL said she was only concerned abt how DH will manage his finances as its a big amount that will cost 20-30k..i controlled myself and didnt question on all the luxuries that they wanted...we wanted to buy a 2 wheeler and MIL infact told me u will only anyways pay for it..where does DH have the money..i clearly told them that i hardly have any savings ( i do have some secretly invested with DH now after all these incidents)..

For DH MS, MIL told during the argument that she will pledge her jewellery and pay for MS ..we said no need, we will take care

Now that am pregnant and we were discussing abt functions that happens as per customs, i told DH that i dont want anything grand and DH was like..no MIL wants it grand as its the first grandchild..now am really angry..as they will expect DH to foot the bill and he will again not have any savings at all as he will agree and pay for watever they ask..recently he also told that his dad told that all his (FIL) savings is for our grandchild and a month back he told its for their last rites as they dont want to trouble DH after they are dead..i was like shell shocked and told DH that this is the most disgusting reason if they think that DH will not take care of last rites..

what am really surprised is they dont want to touch their savings for any reason..maybe they dont trust DH ( coz of me )to care for them? even for MS they are talking abt pledging jewellery ( we are not planning to ask them as we can take care of it)..bcoz of all these issues am a bit insecure since we are expecting baby and i am afraid that whatver savings DH will make will go in some expense of other for them...DH will get our MS money reimbursed by his company and I asked DH to give me back what i gave for his MS (purely for savings..) as i dont trust him to manage..am sure once he gets it PIL will expect some amount of the bulk for them..but its actually DH and my money in it and DH has no cash savings at all...

am also worried that with baby expenses are going to shoot up like anything and again i will end up paying for everything..i have no issues as long as DH is saving but now it seems like whatver DH is saving is going to my ILs..right now for all my ob visits..am paying...during our recent fight when DH said he has more rights on baby ( read my other post) .i then asked him to foot the bill for my medical..i dont have the heart to actually ask him as i know he is struggling with his expenses but i feel that am used by my ILs as they know that i pay for most things and so keep on asking something from DH..

am i wrong to assume that PILs are becoming a bit greedy? am i wrong to ask DH to give my money back to me so that i can save it better?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP,

At first reading, it does not seem like your in-laws are getting greedy. It seems more like some bad communication among all regarding finances. And not much planning. Asking husband to give back what you gave for his MS is not a good idea. Rather than yours and mine, there needs to be more of an "ours" approach to money and expenses and spending.

if your husband is not the kind who will buy you a gift himself, and you have to fight so much for it, is it worth it? would you like to wear a diamond ring that came after so much strife and unpleasantness? There are many women with husbands who simply never give them a gift, husbands have no clue how to shop for a gift, and importance of gift-giving. This is a smaller issue compared to your other problems. If all money is "ours", you can simply say 'hey, let's get me a diamond ring to mark birth of baby'. This forcing husband to buy it with 'his' money is of no good to anyone.

5 people like this.
  3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Poor husband always gets caught in the middle and gets blows both sides.hmmm.

4. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

amniki, given your previous post, i feel this is the least of your problems.

as an only son, he is fulfilling his responsibilities. of course, it would also be great if elders would be mindful of changing circumstances in their son's life, as he is himself to become a father soon. gifts and such cannot be forced. i also feel, perhaps, pregnancy is causing emotional upheavals for you. treat yourself, try to relax and prioritize happy thoughts!

also, i feel your PIL's saving habit is a good one. it will stand them in good stead if there are any health care problems down the line.

5. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Amniki... firstly I want to Congratulate you for your Pregnancy.

my take is a lil different on this one... I don' know if your PIL's are greedy or not... but what I understand is that you are not wrong in thinking.

After 3.5 yrs of mrg and being pregnant... ofcourse even you will get skeptical on the financial issue. PIL's and Dh should understand this and your humble co-operation with financial matters so far.

I don't see a reason for your DH to get angry when you asked for a diamond ring. This could have been discussed and if not diamond ring, a less gram gold ring should have sufficed ... atleast out of love. Your PIL's should not have come between the ring scene. It is between a H and W and they should have understood this. If you can help your Husband all this while then ofcourse you can ask for a gift as well. Nothing wrong here.

PIL's will obviously think that it is their first grand kid, so party should be more of hanky panky. But then, you should make your DH understand that, so far you have been always helpful to him and the IL's, but if now if you want something else for your own child and that too for your DH's and child's sake, it should not be a problem with them. You have been co-operating with them all these years, its now time for them to thank you a lil.

for now, don't get these negative thoughts in your mind. You do your part of savings and do not ask DH to repay it. Instead if you are keen on getting it back, ask him to make bonds for the Kid's so that both of you will be happy.

1 person likes this.
  6. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Dear amniki
    Congrats for your pregnancy.. Keep yourself cool .. Though you seem to logical at this juncture you still need more patience to handle the situation wisely. Keep away your skeptical nature about finance .. You have been a good wife to ur DH .. Don't loose your reputation by adding on some savings.. Pamper your pregnancy now.

Wish you peaceful and happy pregnancy...

7. seekingpeace

i agree..thats why stopped asking anything..infact for this diwali when i dint get anything from DH..i asked for a watch and when i realized that he didnt want to spend money on me, i stopped asking and expecting..didnt bring up the ring topic again!!

i do everything thinking its "our" money and till now had no issues...but now i really need to have some savings with the baby coming on board and thats why asked DH to manage this..and for once expected something that i can tell everyone that DH gave me..yes i can do it even if its my money..but the feeling is special when it really is from DH...tats why asked him..

Wish they are..but they are not ..they think that i always have money stacked in somewhere ( i earn x times more than DH and tats y they think this ..also my parents are not fin. dep. on me)..during a recent argument told our ILs that we dont have much of savings..they then asked my account of all my expenses and when i gave them answer FIL asked what about the money you saved bfre marriage...i was too shocked and bfre i cud reply tat its none of his business or something equivalent..the topic fortunately changed... this behavior of my ILs only makes me feel used by them...they dont think that they are spending more..

infact DH mobile was stolen and is using some basic mobile..PILs are expecting me to buy a nice phone..am also ready ..but why dont they even get the thought that maybe they can do something..am i wrong here?

they dont understand..they somehow think i have money for everything...

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Amniki,
    You are going to be a mom soon. You are already a wife and earning more than your husband. Like it or not, you have to accept these realities. Accept that circumstances and (God!) have placed you in a position of relative power in your marriage. You have to start accepting it and start moving around accordingly. This may be news to you but all around you already know this, only you have your eyes shut tight in some adolescent movie fantasy of being taken care of and spoilt. By God's grace, you neednt ask, its your money and you can just decide and buy it for yourself. Do you know how many women would give anything to be in your position right now?
    You have completely mishandled the diamond ring affair. You want jewelry, buy it. You can, even they expected that you are not so stupid and will do so. Now you have put more ideas in their head. You have created this stupid precedent now that even though it is YOUR money, and something YOU want, you will open it up for general debate and allow people for whom fulfilling your desires is the lowest priority to decide whether or not you get to have your desire. What did you think would be the result?
    You are really a strange case. You are amply shouldering all the responsibilities and not accepting any of the privileges and rights that come with them. It is a good thing they want to spend for your kids birthday. Pay for it by curtailing some of their other expenditure which you also know is not necessary. What is this childishness? Do you think you are in a movie where your hero-like hubby will come and sing a dreamy song and insist no really I insist blah blah and romantically place a ring on your finger. Not.going.to.happen.

It is up to you to decide what you want. You have to make a choice. Do you want to shut your eyes and demand the unattainable childish fantasy or do you want to open your eyes and accept the reality. You are fortunate enough that your reality is considerably more pleasant than for most women. Assert yourself, you are all grown up, dont need anyone's permission for anything anymore. Buy what you want, save what you want. Decide what to do and simply inform your h. What i s this waiting for them to 'see your goodness' ad do the right thing by you? Do what you want, you have earned the right to.

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I read some of your other replies and I feel you are suffering from Cinderella complex. what is this nonsense of forcing husband to buy the ring and doing without if he wont get it for you? Planning a lifelong guilt trip on him are you? Only person to feel it will be you, let me assure you.

Looks like you are in love with sati-savitri stereotype of movies. Are you planning to wear some saris and keep long hair and sing sad songs near open windows also? Better do that. Because the way you refuse to open your mouth and speak up your view (which you have every right to) and keep silently expecting PILs and h to magically 'see how noble and self sacrificing you are' and how 'great' and 'wonderful' you are that is all that will be left for you to do. You are inviting them to walk all over you and complaining when they oblige.

10. seekingpeace

Sandhya, just wanted to clarify- i buy whatever i want without asking, but when i need something expensive, i believe in discussing with DH since it shouldnt affect our budget/fin planning...as for jewellery..again am planning to buy myself post delivery, but maybe like u said, it was my wishful thinking that DH buys me something...

Also, both my ILs and DH know that i contribute a lot..infact, during some recent argument with ILs, DH said that, it bcoz of her (me) only that they are getting whatever they want in life and that he is studying MS ..ILs were obviously angered..but their POV is my money is their money and they have said during arguments that what i earn is their(IL) right ( i dont agree and DH knows this)..DH doesnt think like this and as long as we have an understanding it doesnt matter..

and my concern is not abt my kid's bday..even i wud want to celebrate it grandly..its the functions that happens during pregnancy..MIL is a showoff and thats why they wanted a grand 60th and thats why she wants a grand 7th month function ..this is generally done by girl's parents and i told DH that we are doing it simple..so MIL wants a seperate function to invite all her 60+ relatives to show off..which is what am sick of..if something is done out of affection, its different and if its done just to show off..then its different..

Also, i cannot discuss these with ILs as our relationship is strained..how do u suggest i handle this? money is a super sensitive issue to ILs ...i can happily discuss with DH if he wud oblige as such whenever we start discussing on savings, he gets defensive and it leads to lot of arguments...