1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I ruining my baby's health?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by kadalpura, Feb 8, 2012.

1. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

hi kadalpura, I'm exactly on the same boat as yours. I'm also exclusively BFing my 5 month old daughter. I hear comparisons all the time with my SIL's daughter who is also of nearly the same age but has put on a lot of weight because of formula milk and cow's milk and solids from 3rd month. Though I keep hearing comments from ILs, I have started to ignore them. For the past one week, I have started other liquids like rice water, carrot water. My DD takes just 1-2 tsps and the rest of the time, BM.
    One of my friends suggested we should take the weaning process very slowly and let the baby guide us to what she likes/dislikes and how much she wants to take. So don't worry, you are doing the right thing. Never compare your baby with others and let others also know that they shouldn't be doing that in front of you. Every baby is unique and special.

2. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Thanks Karanu. We went for her vaccination a week back and she has not gained any weight at all. She was 5.85 Kg last month. And she is still the same. Paed asked me to give her solids(meal) 3 times and 2 time snacks like veggies, fruits. She is taking 2 meals and 2 snacks, but skips the third meal. Don't know what to do. Paed has given 2 weeks time, If she is not gaining any weight then we have to go for a urine culture test. :( Now I am not concerned about other's comments, but only about my DD weight gain problem.

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Do not worry.. Kids weight is dependent on their body nature and genes as well. BF babies have reduced risk of getting overweight or falling sick. Include idli; banana's applesauce;soup; other fruit purees; moong dal etc .

4. harun

harun Senior IL'ite

is your baby fine now?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  5. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

hi harun,
    sorry missed your post. My baby has completed 10 months and she is kind of okay now. she is still underweight, not eating properly and doctor said she is anaemic. She has given a tonic to boost her hunger and she is somewhat eating now. She is pale and I feel like crying when i see her. But she is hyperactive and meets most of the milestones for her age. But physically she doesn't look like 10 month old. She will be turning 1 year on 26th august but still she looks like 7 month old. her weight and head cicumference both fall short off the mark in the growth chart. somewhere I read increase in head circumference indicates the brain development, which worries me a lot :(

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kadalapura...
    Hugs to you dear dont lose faith you will somehow figure it out and solve this dear... God Bless you

7. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Thanks vjbunny. I have slowly stopped worrying as I realised that I can't change anything by worrying.I am giving the best I can. Hope God helps my baby to come out of this phase.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I don't think head circumference has anything to do with brain development. Don't worry about that. Now, is she getting enough nutritious food? You were giving carrot water before right; is she able to eat carrot purée now? Some kIds take a little more time to take to solids. Since she is active, I think you don't have to worry too much about getting enough. I know, as moms we all worry but don't try not to too much.

9. Kiruthigaranjit

Kiruthigaranjit Senior IL'ite

hai friend give some ghee mixed in her rice,give some fat rich food to her...give her curd..... you give egg to her in alternative days and give avacado,apple,banana,papaya.give more water.......add sugar recipes eg..kesari,paayasam..,definetly she will increase in her weight..don't worry......take care of her........

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  10. GodIsOne

GodIsOne Gold IL'ite

Cow's milk should not be given to babies under the age of 1. They should be either breastfed or formula fed.

Sometimes milk alone is not sufficient to keep the LO full. As a mom you will be able to make out whether your baby is hungry or not. If you think she is doing good then don't worry about what others say.