1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All In A Day's Work

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jul 24, 2019.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Possible Agatha, just as we come across annoying autowallahs, am sure they too come across painful passengers. Here too, outside the institute one often comes across autowallahs hanging around. But ask them for a 7 km ride home, they either refuse to go (because the roads are bad - like I dug them up!) or they want anything between Rs. 150/- to 300/- (depending on their mood at that point of time) to go. Travel by an A/c cab of Ola or Uber is often available for as little as Rs. 120/- (depending on demand). Difference between Uber cab and Uber auto can also be less than Rs. 10/-. That makes it easier to get a prepaid cab/auto from Ola/Uber than hire one directly.

2. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

My dad worked abroad , he has never been there for any of my admissions in schools or colleges or any functions of mine whereas my mom struggles a lot to fill his gap and I know very well that my dad is also working hard to satisfy our needs..

During my college admission one such incident happened which i thought to share here.
    After my plus 2 result i applied to one famous college , and it was very difficuilt to get 1 seat so my uncle suggested through management quota.. aftr applying v dint receive any intrvw letter or anything.. one fine day my frnd came to my house n said class is gonna start aftr 4 days in the very same college i applied. I was shocked and i havnt applied anywhere else ( well 1 seat was offered to me frm a pvt collg tht i dint like)
    I really wished i even cried hearing tht news..
    But my mom suggested to visit the college soon on meeting the manager he said admssn process r going on u may pay 5000 b4 4 o clock.. v dint hav money .. and bank will close by 3... It was already 1 clock.. and cheque which my dad signed is in my house .. my house is 55 kms far from college..
    V just ran out from college , there comes an autorikshaw uncle he felt the desperateness in our face and enquired everything he said he will take us to my house and drove very fast to house then took us to bank and then to college... V reached just 5 min b4 admssn process .. and thus i got admssn... Tht uncle he took only very less fare from us... v wer reqdy to giv him more.. but he said thts enough..
    (My college from my house needs 2 buses to travel)
    This incident happened 17 years back.. still i cudnt forget tht uncle..
    I havnt seen him aftr tht...i believe riskhshaw uncle was an angel send from God...

3. satchitananda

Am so happy he helped you make it in time! When something has to happen, it does and God/our guardian angel appears in human form to help us out.

Thyagarajan and sumzaya like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

My in-laws apartment is located right next to an auto stand. Everyone of the drivers know my FIL and MIL very well due to their association with Sathya Sai Baba organization. They have used autos many times to go to Sundaram and also for distributing food, to go to eye care camps, teaching slum children some bhajans, morals after giving them stomach full of food, etc. Now, my FIL is no more and MIL lives with us but we visit once a year to go and live in that house.

All the drivers notice that I hire a rental car company from the airport until I leave for the airport during vacation. Sometimes, after I send the car off, something will crop up and as soon as I get out, all of the auto drivers will run towards me asking where do I need to go. They won't negotiate any money and start cleaning up the seat for me. It is so funny to see them do such things for a total stranger. When I get into the auto, they will talk so much about the service activities my in-laws had done for 30 years. I realize every time that I am reaping the benefit of their selfless service. One of the auto-driver cried when I got into his auto and explained with tears that my father in law was planning to sell the car he owned. At that time, the auto driver's daughter was suffering from renal failure. Since my FIL's vehicle was old and sold only for Rs. 25,000/=, he gave the entire money to this auto driver for dialysis. He also took one lady who works as maid in most houses with him in the car to fight with a school headmaster for refusing to admit her child into the school. Therefore, my auto experiences in Chennai was always good.

Viswa

5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda mam , have you experienced their reaction less reaction? Like ask them you want to go to "XYZ" place they will neither say a "yes" nor a "no". C'mon!! I deserve to know that. I am speaking to you Mr. Autowallah.

Plus Autowallahs sometimes are so moody that they expect us to know where they are heading. And if at all our destination is on their way they will accept to come.(Chalo a big favor to us) and if luck is in your favor that will happen. If at all by mistake you ask them to drop you to a destination in opposite direction of their way , gone ! You will have to experience their reaction less reaction.

I have never had a "wonderful" experience with any Autowallah till date(In Bangalore). They have only tested my patience and made me lose any tiny amount of confidence i used to have on them .

Coming to Mumbai Autowallahs : It was a different story altogether. First just get in the auto(from the queue - especially from the local train railway station) and they put meter and then they ask for destination. If the meter says 29 (generally that was the amount from station to my home) I pay them 30 and walk away. They call me and give back that 1 rupee. Yes every time this has happened am not exaggerating .

Once we had to go to Pune early in the morning from Mumbai. So we had to leave Mumbai by 3 am. I was so worried about not getting a rick that early to reach a point from where we can board cab to go to Pune. But as soon as we came out of the apartment gate there were at least 2-3 autos and we conveniently approached one to drop us at our destination. Without a second word he took us with the meter charge . Not a penny extra. That is Mumbai.
    And back in Bangalore I can never ever expect anything from Autowallahs here let alone finding a Rick at 3 am in the morning.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@satchitananda
    It is nice to find eventually bitterness or poison turns into nectar or ambrosia but seldom it happens. You had begun implying frustration and bad behaviour but concluding it with pleasantries. Kudos to your ability to create a snippet from seemingly insignificant Acts of God!
    2. With competition from biggies like Ola & Uber, Chennai autowalls mellowed a great deal and my spouse & I command great respect from them.
    3. In the past, While not happy with deal struck, previously auto drivers used to grumble and give the nasty stary eerie look, drive as if engaged in Grand Prix- rough drive weaving overtaking from all sides on the road besides long extempore speech, grumbling of and about fare etc. now-a-days they have turned over a new leaf, respect the hirer, go even out of the way to help when they find customer is in distress or visiting hospital and so on.
    4. In Chennai many auto drivers give free ride to women in labour.
    5. In Tidal park, an auto is available with wifi, charging facility for mobile, days leading news paper in English and Tamil, Cine magazines. The driver cum owner of this auto is world famous and featured in New York Times. On national holidays he would give free rides.
    6. A few days ago , I was in hurry hired an auto and reached the destination upon my request in record time. But I had forgotten to carry the wallet. When in desperation I was searching all my pockets, the driver Selvam said in Tamil politely, “Sir. It is all right if you had no cash. But if you want to go back you need money. Here is rs fifty. Please keep it with you.”

I was non plussed. I gave my phone number and promised to return money whatever due to him with bonus and to call on me by evening or next morning. I forgot to collect his mobile number. Almost a fortnight has gone and am still looking forward to meet him.
    7. Woman Saint Avvaiyar has eulogised such people in one of her stanzas of human virtues in tamil
    Quote(.)
    “நல்லார் ஒருவர் உளரேல் அவர்பொருட்டு
    எல்லோர்க்கும் பெய்யும் மழை”

என்ற ஒளவையாரின் “மூதுரைப்” பாடல் வரிகளின் உள்ளுரைக் கருத்தும் இதேயாம். இக்குறள் நம்பிக்கையை இழக்காமல், ஒருவர் பண்புடையாராக இருப்பினும் மழையாவது பொழியும், உயிர்கள் தழைக்கும் என்பதைச் சுட்டிக்காட்டுகிறது. மழையின்றி, மன்னுயிர் ஏது? மன்னுயிரின்றி இவ்வுலகம்தான் நிலை பெறுதல் எங்கனம்.? (Unquote).
    Which roughly translates to:
    Because of people of character and courtesy, this world still exists and it rains for all. It carries lives. Devoid of that, the world shall perish as dust and buried under mud with no life in it.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God - strange are the ways of you and drivers of auto, Uber & Ola in some parts of the world.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    satchitananda likes this.
  7. satchitananda

My sincerest apologies to you Viswa. This delay is the result of procrastination compounded by forgetfulness. Really sorry about that. It is amazing how one's good deeds can bring benefits not only to oneself but to one's children and family. You are indeed fortunate to have always had good experiences of auto drivers in Chennai. They have always got a very bad rap and it has often been said that their influence has ruined the drivers in Bangalore. I wish the winds of good behaviour also blow this way.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  8. satchitananda

Totally agree with you on each and every point, Anusha! In fact Pune auto drivers were also very good, but these days they also are a pain in the neck. I have really heard good things about drivers in Mumbai.

Extremely sorry for the delay in responding. :frown:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. satchitananda

Dear sir,

From all I read here, it looks like the situation has changed in Chennai. Do they go according to the meter? I do hope the winds of change will blow this way too. The good ones like the one I mentioned and the kind you mentioned are a rare species in Bangalore. That is why we are suffering from 36% deficit rainfall this year when all over Karnataka it is 20% and other places are reeling under floods.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:meters fixed for getting RTO FITNESS CERTIFICATE and for permit but usual haggling has to be done bit it never used to be protracted and demands generally reasonable .
    Thanks and regards.

satchitananda likes this.