1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

All About Spelling Bee And Similar Competitions

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

In India, your neighbours know this information. In the West, the State does. Either way, there is no escape.

I have some admiration for these children but on the whole I find the whole spelling-bee idea quite unimaginative. I don't think memorising many words shall necessarily make these children articulate or creative. They won't grow up to be fluent writers or speakers of the language. I can't imagine V.S. Naipaul or Pankaj Mishra doing very well on a spelling bee. It does indicate they have a good memory and perhaps the bee helps develop it but I don't know if these bees are indicators of future success. It's just another way for immigrant parents to push their kids into success and for people to stand out in general. I am somewhat skeptical of the whole process.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I completely admire the handwork ,tenacity and perseverance of these kids (and parents)..these traits in these kids will make them successful no matter what they take up later in life. But but.... I am still a little lost about the relevance of something like spelling bee which places value on a childs ability to memorize and recite words that they will probably never use their entire lives in todays world.

peartree likes this.
  3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

This is what contestants from the 1999 spelling bee are doing now: Where Are the 'Spellbound' Kids Now? The Incredible Spelling Bee Competitors Are All Grown Up

4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

wow, interesting, did not know that..
    haha, j/k:laughing: It's just the context here, as I am pretty sure the locals feel very bad about the spell bee participants already and imagine I do this on a public forum like twitter? I am sure to get some ghastly responses:grin::grin:

That sounds like a crazy amount of info for a college Application though..

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Watch this video. Very cute.

At 0:56 and 1:56, the kid tells why he wants to participate in his school's and the national spelling bee's.

6. Rihana

Since this thread is about geography bee's also, I just have to post this video. An all time favorite of mine. 2 or 3 yr old Indian kid can tell the capitals of all the U.S. states. At 0:37, he says the capital of Florida. Oh so cutely. You should first check if you yourself know Florida's capital, BTW. : )

Also watch what he tells dad at 2:07. : )

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

A friend's daughter made it to the finals and irrespective of what I feel, it was one of the things that incredibly smart kid could do. So she just did it :)

SinghManisha likes this.
  8. Rihana

8 Spelling Bee Winners Named As Co-Champions In Historic Marathon Competition

Eight co-champions are taking home the Scripps National Spelling Bee Cup after a record-breaking and exhausting night that ended in the 20th round, during which the pronouncer declared they had entered "uncharted territory" in the competition's more than nine decades.
    The organizers apparently ran out of enough challenging words to have more rounds. : ) Congratulations to the 8 winners. Looks like 7 of them are of Indian origin. : )

Congratulations to their families and teachers too.

Amica, SinghManisha and silento like this.