1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aggressive Sil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by soni1987, Oct 26, 2017.

1. soni1987

soni1987 Bronze IL'ite

Hello,

Just for update, My relation with hubby has improved. He agreed for now all the things I demanded. Current situation financially - Transferring half of my income in my personnel account. I need to give him other half due to loan for our house which is in joint name.

However, I might go for a short vacation after 1 month to India. My current issue is....

During my last visit we brought many gifts, phone, clothes etc for MIL, SIL (phone) and for SIL daughter clothes. I personally purchased all of them with my money and my willingness. Selected each n everything with so much love.

My SIL has a habit of badmouthing her inlaw and husband, she claims her husband & MIL is demanding for money etc etc. But i see the situation different. Her husband earns normal salary, looks after house, loans, emi, insurance, childs fees, house expenses. top of that give some amount to SIL for house exp. On other hand SIL also does part time work, but doesn't even buy single thing for house or food. All money spends in clothes and unwanted things. Still all the time cry for money. Even MIL is helping them to buy house things, like painting, fridge, washing machine, AC etc.

Incident: SIL in our house, MIL also present, my DH not there...
    We are talking regular things, suddenly she started complaining again about her DH & MIL, like they dont like things that we brought, they expect more from us etc etc. I got upset, but said softly, tell me clearly what do you and your DH expect from us?

Dont know what happend.. SIL started screaming and shouting like hell...telling me to take back the gifts. Called my DH and told that I dont like to give anything to them. I am acting n all. made big drama about it. I said dont shout in my house. She started claiming its her house, she will behave the way she want to.. I said its my house not her's.. It was like a shock for her. SHE left the house.

Later my DH came and sorted the issues. However I am really not feeling to buy or gift them anything this time.

Did i say or do anything wrong. I feel like not seeing her face again. but that's not possible.

Just venting and looking for suggestions.

2. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Honestly the question you put forth was wrong..It is obvious that you think she is expecting you and your husband to do something for her..Irrespective of what the truth is,you could have simply remained silent or tried to change the topic subtlely instead of commenting on this.

sindmani and momsky like this.
  3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

There is no limit for greed, even if OP gets more stuff they will demand more, her SIL will find a way to pick a fight on what was gifted, OP what you did was right just ignore her tantrums and just do what you think is right, you can get some gifts for her kids and don’t get anything for her or her DH

4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

If I where you I would have told her what gives her the right to think that she is worthy of getting more gifts from you?

September2015 likes this.
  5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Gifting should come from the heart, so if your heart says no, then don't give.

If your hubby is ok with you not giving, then let it go.

But if this is 'giving out of obligations', then keep it minimal, simple n nothing expensive. Like one dress for each of them, or something casual or just for the children.

Guess it's also important for you to understand that nothing is ever gona be enough. There's some saying like "even if you drop the whole world under their foot, they will still say it's crooked, it's not enough n ask you for more', so some people are always in that category. Don't bother.

sindmani and Dishaa like this.
  6. iamsrihere

This has to be dealt by her husband.No wonder her SIL got angry when OP asked her directly.

Actually if the brother knows the limits he will stop his sister from Ddemanding more.But if he himself doeant realise or if OP is unable to make her DH understand, then no point in blaming the SIL.

So i feel OP unnecessarily got into this issue and got a bad name.

7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Her SIL made the comment to OP and her brother was not there so she deserved that reply.

The brother knows the limit, that’s a nice joke.

8. iamsrihere

See if the brother is interested in giving into his sister's demands,is there any use if OP interferes and still gets a bad name?

And worst case if her husband still goes ahead in gifting his sister,then OP will not have any value in her say.So better to talk to husband and convince him for their own investment plans rather than confrontimg the SIL directly..

And iam sure the SIL and the MIL will never forget this episode that easily..anything happens in future and if the brother doesn't give gifts for even valid or personal reasons, OP will be blamed..

And if you disagree iam completely fine since this is only my point of view..

sindmani likes this.
  9. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Husband and wife are one team if they don’t see themselves that why then they have to fix that fist before handling the SIL.

And worst case if her husband still goes ahead in gifting his sister,then OP will not have any value in her say.

That’s how a bunch of people thought and created Sati Sati (practice) - Wikipedia they thought there is no value in a women’s life when her husband dies

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  10. iamsrihere

I meant her inlaws or SIL won't bother about her views since the brother listens to them..

And i wish to stop here..I dont want to hijack OP's thread.Hopefully more ILites come forward and give their views..