Advise needed regarding my labrador

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Deepa100, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Deepa100

Deepa100 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

We are a family of 4 - DH, DS and myself. The fourth being a lovely female labrador which is 6 years old.

We are right now in Bangalore, India and would be relocating to the USA in a few months time.

The confusion DH and me are facing is what to do with our doggie baby. As a family we are all attached to her very much and do not want to abandon her.
    At the same time, we do not have anybody in the relatives side who are willing to take care of her due to their own commitments.

At times, we have even thought of taking her along to USA but are afraid that it might be a costly affair. We are not sure how costly an affair it would be to take care of a dog in the USA.

More than that, we are not sure of the process to take a dog from India to USA, how much of pillar to post would the running be and how much cost it would take etc.

Relatives feel we are soft in the head for taking the dog to USA from India since they feel we are simply inviting trouble and also spending money needlessly.
    Let me tell you, we do not want to leave her in the doggie daycares that have sprouted around the city. We did visit a few daycares and we did not want to leave her there.

There is lot of confusion prevailing as to what is a wise and practical thing to do. We are in two minds now. One is the sentimental attachment and other is we ourselves are going to a new place and we don't know how things will work out there. On top of that if she is also there, then how will we manage.
    Once we are in USA, another set of confusion is when DH and myself start going for office, then who will take care. Also, if dog falls sick, how would we manage?
    Also, while on vacations, how do we take care then.

Initially, I would not be going for a job until I find one. So I would take care. But till then we would be on single salary. We are definitely looking at saving money and with a dog and a kid along, I am not sure whether we will be able to save anything at all.

Also, at present, our labby does tend to fall sick now and then as she has a sensitive tummy. So whenever she falls sick, she throws up whatever she eats and in such cases she needs a vet check up and in turn big vet bills.

So when such incidents do happen while in USA,I am not sure how much we would have to shell out since I have heard vet care is very expensive.

Please advise how we can handle the situation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Deepa

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Do you have pet loving friends or any one in the family? You could check with them......
    May be give them a trail run.It is going to be heart breaking for you all and your doggie baby too.No doubt.You may have to prepare yourself for that.

Taking the doggie to US when you are not certain...is risky. Could you postpone this move by 5-6 years.....?

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You might call this company: Pet Relocation Worldwide into and from India - Dog, Cat, Pet Import & Export - Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore

Check with your company if they will cover the cost of relocation for your dog. Day to day care of pets here is not that expensive. Careful choice of veterinarians makes a lot of difference on cost of care. You can get rabies shots at free clinics and order other vaccinations online and give yourself. As to a vomiting dog: normal vomiting here does not require a vet visit. Also we have specialty dog and cat foods for sensitive types...I use for my cat. We are a nation of pet lovers so it's pretty affordable here due to huge market.

2 people like this.
  4. sha2

sha2 Senior IL'ite

I know how you feel.Are you guys going to stay in an apartment? If yes you need to find a pet friendly apartment.When you move in they charge between 300-500 as refundable and non refundable fee.Some apartments charge pet rent as well (30-50 per month.) and they have weight limit as well.It all depends on where you move.In some cities, it is very difficult to find a pet friendly apartment.When we were in LA we had very difficult time to find a pet friendly apt.Dog food and vet fees are not that much expensive but it is very expensive if your dog end up in emergency room.