1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed To Prepare Myself

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Caughtinbetween, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi All ,

Hope you all are doing good . Thank you so much for all the wonderful advices during my last interaction with you all.
    I am here for a new 'might happen in the future' - problem .
    My ils are apparently putting pressure on H to send me to india for ttc treatments . They want him to send me over in a month or a two to india saying that they would get me treated in india . Also because here we might have to go down the ivf route with no insurance coverage , h looks like is also inclining towards their suggestion because of low cost. I do not want to go back on the pretext of treatments because i am sure the entire cost would fall on my parent . And the added mental trauma is something that I can not imagine going through again. H has not forcibly telling me this but he did mention it casually as if testing waters . I told him that i cant do it , I am ready to spend whatever i make completely into this effort but not going to india for this as i cant imagine ttc being there at their home.Should this topic come again seriously , I am looking for some advice like how to put across my point in a stern but non conflicting manner without directly saying that i dont want to go because of ils and h and what happened last time . Also I do not want to lose my job as I am close to making progress on the job front.
    Thank you all for your awesome help through out .

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

CIB, it is so unbelievable that even in this age, people talk about "sending" a woman, as if she has no mind and will of her own.

I am not sure what kind of ttc treatment can happen with you in India and your husband in the U.S. No need to explain.

I think while you might feel like once and for all nipping the idea in the bud, you should respond back in the same intensity that he is discussing the topic. If he is only testing waters, you also only casually say that no you are not interested in treatment in India. Have one suitable reason ready to give. Such as "don't want to start all over again with new doctors and new place".

Don't be too forceful. That might make him dig in his heels even more and insist that his parents are right.

Sometimes, we want to put an end to an idea firmly, and entertain absolutely no more discussion about it, but, that never happens. The topic does keep coming up, and we end up looking as unreasonable for opposing it forcefully while others are only "being helpful" and offering "advice". So, I would suggest, have one reason ready, and keep using that whenever needed. You can end each discussion before it gets too long. Remember, try to keep as calm as possible, no bringing up the past, and hard as it can be, be matter of fact. After saying your bit, walk away calmly.

sumalynux and guesshoo like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, many people do IVF in India for the cost savings. The DH would only have to visit once to do his part. Of course, this is only okay in normal, respectful relationships. Not where the woman is treated as a potted plant.

4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

It is worth considering, if both of you are in agreement.

My brother had twins, 10 years after their 1st kid and it is successful, cost efficient. My SIL was in her late 30's when she had the twins. (It was my mom who forced them to have a 2nd kid after waiting many years.)

One of my relative also had a baby girl and against many odds of health issues, it was very successful. I am also impressed at the success rate in Indian treatment.

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

You can give your job the reason, as you are progressing and don't want to loose a job and getting a break and starting all again , getting up to speed takes time . If you want to keep in touch with a doctor and go only for that cycle IVF, say 1.5 months only, see If possible without losing job and not living there in India.

6. Caughtinbetween

thank you rihana for your reply . what you said is right because i feel that he has never believed me over his parents . if ils talk something bad behind my back its true but if i clarify my side of the story its false .so he will only see the good intentions of ils and my reluctance will be blamed. i will respond in calm manner and will try my best to not dig the past . thank you very much .

7. Caughtinbetween

yes i know quite a few people who have been to india for treatment and had conceived because its too costly here .
    had it not been for the past bad experiences i too would have gone down that route without any second thoughts but in the current scenario i feel too down to go their and face everything again . i simply cant muster the courage at this time and hence am worried about tackling this situation which will come for sure. thank you so much for taking time out to reply.

8. Caughtinbetween

thank you poovai for the reply . going to ivf because of the cost and success is a very good thought , no doubts in that. but i dont think it would work in my case because of all the drama thats going to be associated with it . if i do go there because i too want kids , what if first ivf fails , what if it takes more than one cycles , i feel i would be stuck it would get terrible. plus the burden of cost will come on my family and the stress i cant even imagine .
    i do feel that i am only thinking about the short term benefits and losing out on long run.
    good to know that your sil had twins(i'd love to have twins ) and your relative too .
    thank you

9. Caughtinbetween

hi kashmirflower thanks for your reply . yes for now i am giving job as the reason but dont know for how long (with all the impending restrictions proposed on my work permit). but for now as long as i am still working i cant take 1.5 months leave max would be 2-3 weeks and that too i would have no control on the doctor , treatments or for that matter anything . dont know what else is in store for me still . just cribbing dont mind . i would be just fine come what may.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

OP,

It also depends on your age factor. I would think, getting treatment is necessary if you are in your late 30's. Otherwise, there is no need for immediate treatment in India or here.

You have to be mentally and physically ready for the treatment. Otherwise, it will be waste of time, money and energy. It will be a challenge and you have to ready to face it, regardless of the outcome.

There is no need to rush for the sake of pleasing others.

It is really unfair to expect your parents to pay for the treatment. You should stand up for yourself to bring some sense to your DH on the issue.

Men..they do act as if they fell out of the sky, don't they? It takes years of maturity to face the challenge in marriage.

-JMO

suasin likes this.