1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed In Parenting My Daughter

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by omsrisai, Mar 10, 2017.

1. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

I'm a working women and i need some advice or inputs from experienced parents on how to handle a situation at home.

My daughter is 5 yrs and she is single child , as i'm working she will be with my parents home full time after school ,recently my sister delivered her baby boy and so my mother needs to take care of them and could not give her attention to my daughter.

I told my parents that let us arrange maid for cooking and so my mother will be little relaxed but my mother is not ready for a maid service and as work load is more at home and no friends around my place, my daughter is getting bored and coming up with lot of tantrums to gain attention.

Now it is coming as a routine that my mom and sister call me while at work and tell me what my daughter does and she is not obeying them etc.This is now making me go off my work and disturbed a lot.

How can i handle this situation to keep my daughter busy,sometimes i think shall i quit my job and stay at home to handle my daughter.

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Try to enroll her in some extra curricular activities(like singing, dancing, yoga, robotics, painting, swimming etc) if possible in school itself after school hours till the time you reach home.
    If the school doesnt provide them , check for nearby options for classes so that you can engage her in something useful and reduce burden on your mom too. You can arrange in a way such that you can pick up her from the classes and reach home so that you can take her responsibility after reaching home too.

If not extra curricular activities, check for any daycare options which would be having summer camps now where you can check out

anika987 and JGVR like this.
  3. adismom

adismom Bronze IL'ite

I think you should put her in daycare/after school activities maybe thrice a week and leave with your mom for the rest of he two days. That way this transition won't be too hard on your daughter as well. If you suddenly put her in daycare all days of the week, she might get overwhelmed.

anika987 likes this.
  4. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Thanks both mom's and your inputs gives me a picture to look for some options that is available to keep my daughter engaged.

I'll first look for some summer camp / day care as well to see what will fit our routine as well.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

She is only 5 and it's only natural that she gets jealous of the baby. As her carer your mum could try to involve her and make her feel important as the big sister. She can be given the task of bringing a towel for the baby or something.

Talk to her without chiding her. You spend all the time you can with her.

Look up how to deal with kids when they have a sibling online. You will get loads of tips you can implement without letting your little one feel hurt that she isn't the centre of attention anymore.

blindpup10 likes this.
  6. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Guesshoo,i will convey this to my mom and will ask her to involve my daughter as big sister and do small task for the baby.

7. Sachini

Sachini Bronze IL'ite

Hi omsrisai,
    Till the time you find classes you can engage her at home with some colouring or activities that she might be interested. Apart from that your mom can engage her in pealing butter beans or peas n kneading dough with which ur daughtercan make shapes etc. Just initiate n proceed with ones work but work in her proximity n answer her questions like "how it looks ? or is it nice?" to keep her interest. It not only engages her but improves her motor skills , concentration and creativity.It works for me to engage my kid of 6yrs when i am busy.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This is exactly what happened in my case too.

She is 5, so you could admit her to a preschool and some after school activities such as music, dance etc...
    This way, she will be spending 1/2 of the day time outside, and then she would be tired so napping in the eve.
    Since she would be home for a short time, others could plan their works accordingly, so that they could actively spend time with her.
    This way, she will not be feeling left out.

In my case, my mom too did not prefer a maid. But I hired a nanny to engage with kid. Not just to play, but also to do her works like washing her cloths, teaching, playing, and also to be around, so that she would not harm the newborn.
    Mom did the supervising, and kid did not feel lonely, since the same people lived at that house anyways.

Alternatively you could admit your DD to pre school and after school classes like dance, music to kill her time

9. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sachini & SGBV,i have started looking for classes to put her in and also asking my mom to give some little work to her to be engaged.

My mother is not willing to have a nanny and so i have not tried for that option.