1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adoption

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Caide, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

Hi friends

I am just sharing my point of view and my doubts here. So, please take this thread just like thread and share your views.

Every women and men in this world want to become a mother or father at some point in their lives. Some get conceive soon and some they get treated and conceive at some point and give birth to cute little angels. Even people go for surrogacy method to give birth to child. Everyone have desire to feel the child inside them and some face problems too. Some even wait for 14 or even 20 long years to give birth to a child of their own.

Apart from all these cases some lack tendency to conceive either due to problem in man or woman, in this case I wonder why they don’t try to adopt a child.

My ******** said these words few days back “It is not good to adopt because in future we might feel he/she doesn’t belong to us or the child might feel it. And also he/she may reflect its own mother/father’s character. It’s not good idea at all.” I was damn felt dumb because the woman who says she considers all kids as her child and even feel pity for them saying these. Then I realize if a problem arises for us personally we treat problem different. But her words made to think a lot.

1) How come they feel different once he/she is grown as they themselves adopted the child willingly?

2) Won’t love make them feel and treat the child as their own child?

3) Then are they adopting the child for name sake?

I wanted to her ask these questions. But since she was almost 20 years elder to me I didn’t.

And also one of my personal experience is..

A couple wanted to adopt a child and I was very glad to hear it but for some time. Because they wanted to adopt the child illegally. They want the child but without adoption procedures and wanted to create certificates as if child is born to them. Because they were afraid of their relatives. And they decided to take the child to foreign country and stay there for years and return back so that no one can ask question.

Aren’t adoption a good thing?

After adoption the child is theirs then why to go through illegal procedures. Yeah it is true that relatives talk bad. But child is important right and this talk will become old at some point and relatives stop it at some point too right then why they do it secretly?

According to me adoption is good thing. Why I felt like that because it gives life to two different people- the child and parents. A child’s yearning and parent’s yearning will come to an end by it and also it is true that the truth might hurt both at some time and at some point but if their love is true I think anything can be overtaken .

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Very good topic.

But I agree that people have really different views especially in India. But it is a good option and the fundamental instinct of mother and father will be the same either it their own children or adopted. But I think it would be better if they tell them that they are adopted at the appropriate time.

Thanks for the write up
    Vaidehi

KashmirFlower and Caide like this.
  3. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

agreed truth telling process though its difficult one and has different outputs its better to reveal it .... and thanks for agreeing my POV

4. vaidehi71

I am agreeing, because that is in the best interests of the child. I had seen a child who was adopted legally by the parents and the child since young knew she was adopted. It did not affect the child as far as I can remember. Still remember the very cute and really smart kid whom I had seen a couple of decades ago. At that age itself she knew that she was adopted, and so it became a natural issue taken at ease. It happened in India. In another instance the adopted daughter came to know just before marriage and she too took it easily and never bothered much.
    But I prefer that they know it when they are able to understand what is meant by adoption.

Btw, I don't agree with this illegal process etc. I thought going by the legal way is the best option in the future interests of the kids and also for the parents. Just my thoughts, though I am not sure of the legal processes etc.

KashmirFlower and Caide like this.
  5. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

see love exists even in this relationship but i think my ******** wont under she has her own kid na

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. Suparni

Suparni Platinum IL'ite

Generally people with broad minded nature accepting others/outsiders are the ones who can agree to adopt an orphan and bring them up......

Others generally look for lookalikes/similar natured people like their family members to give themselves the comfort zone to take care of them......This is the Taboo behind not adopting children...........

Tamil Proverb comes to my mind.....
    Kakkaiku than kunju pon kunju.......meaning Crow considers its own little child as the Golden Child..........

Caide likes this.
  7. vaidehi71

That isn't correct.

Let's say we have own kids, our own genetic make up for the kids!!!
    Well, some traits are inborn, I agree, but majority of the characteristics depend on how the kids are brought up. It is something we cultivate in the kids. When we have brought up our kids (adopted/own) in a good manner and if that is reflected in them, we can be assured that we have brought up our kids in a nice manner. Having said that let's say we did not bring them up in the manner we intended to, do we blame it on our genes!!!! No right, so we don't do it, so why do we have to take such an attitude towards adopted kids. I feel that whomever told such a statement needs to grow up first and are giving biased statements.

We have seen or heard so many kids who are their own genes, have not taken care of their parents as they age. So do we blame it on our gene or bringing up. Certain characteristics are inborn, certain aren't and I feel we just have to take it as such. Adopted or own, we just have to be a caring and affectionate parent, and we will just have to hope they develop good attitudes.

Caide likes this.
  8. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

haha nice proverb and also it made me remember cuckoo which always lay its eggs in some other birds nest and the other birds take care of hatch-lings as its child :) this mentality its rare to find in 6 sense human beings

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. vaidehi71

Agreed!
    But why do people adopt?
    Mostly after trying to have their own kids, and when that option had become impossible for whatever reason, the couple chooses it. So I believe when such a devoted couple choose that option, the extended family members should give them support, which unfortunately isn't occurring most of the times. But why can't they agree for the sake of their own kids happiness. It is not impossible, it has been made impossible because of the cultural and other aspects. I am sure we need lots of awareness in this regard. Btw I have cousins who have adopted kids and also other extended members of the family. The good thing here is that the family ( extended family) have accepted them into their family, including me. So that is why I am able to understand the pain the couple underwent and now they are happy family.

Caide likes this.
  10. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

exactly it depends on how we brought them up whether he /she is born for us she/he reflects our character as they grow by seeing us

vaidehi71 likes this.