1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adhd And Kids

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by snehalJoshi, Mar 23, 2017.

1. snehalJoshi

snehalJoshi Silver IL'ite

My kiddo is 2.5 yrs old. Her pre-school teacher told me that my daughter has behavioral issues.
    She said "Your daughter does not listen to my requests. If I ask her to pick up something she may or may not do it. If I tell her that it is a clean-up time and put all toys back, she does it with 2 to 3 toys and then she stops and seems like she is lost. She has focusing issues. She interrupts when 2 adults are talking. Please take her to a therapist."

I asked her "Are these the only problems or is there anything else?" She said "These are the only problems."

To tell about my daughter :
    She is super-active. Loves to play. Listens to me sometimes, ignores me sometimes and says "No" sometimes.
    She knows all her poems, colors, shapes, alphabets, numbers, etc. She is able to dance to a song and imitate the steps.
    She focuses on her TV especially cartoons so much that I have to restrict her TV time.
    She is not aggressive instead very submissive. Sometimes, when she does not get what she wants she cries or throws normal tantrums.
    She does not like to play alone and wants me or DH besides her while playing or any other known person.

I thought all these are normal symptoms for a 2.5 yr old.
    I am shattered to hear that my 2.5 yr old has behavioral issues.

I read ADHD. It is an 'Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder'.
    I dont know if she has that.

When I was growing up , we hardly knew all these issues like ADHD, Autism, etc.
    How worth is this new science to believe?

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Your daughter has not been diagnosed. Please don't look things up on the Internet and stress yourself out.

Where do you live? In case you are abroad, it could be a simple matter of your child not comprehending the accent or language used. Similarly, a child interrupting when adults talk is not a big deal in India considered bad manners in other countries. While we tend to focus more on a child learning academics, there is a focus on soft skill and organisational skills in the west - at 2.5, I've seen kids be given the chore of loading laundry into the washing machine; stacking dosh washer by 5 and all. So it just could be differing child rearing principles.

You could try a different teacher or a different preschool. From what you say, all a behavioural therapist might do is give you parenting tips. So you needn't worry unnecessarily. In case any therapist asked me to give any medication to my child, I would end up getting a second (third, fourth and fifth) opinion.

bhucat and Shanvy like this.
  3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Dont worry too much.
    She does have the signs of ADHD.
    you can do occupational therapy which will help.

4. Sunshine04

Also try the weighted vest
    Helps with focus and hyper activity

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

OP, before you psyche yourself out further with self diagnosis or suggestions from the Internet, I highly suggest you actually meet with a licensed behavioural therapist. And get a second opinion too from a qualified person.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

How are you convinced the child needs occupational therapisy and which do you think are adhd signs..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    nakshatra1, butterflyice and guesshoo like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Op this is not a new science. It has been there even during our times. We just did not term them. We just clubbed some as having mental issues while others as manda buddhi or lazy or stubborn whatever could be used to label.

Your kid is just 2.5 yrs and i am not sure where you are located right now. I would ask the teacher to prove that through the school's certified counsellor or person instead of just giving tags.

There is way a child has to be handled. All kids are not perfect. Even near perfect is learnt so maybe the teacher does not know how to deal with the child.

A child interupting elders is easily rectified with practice at home. To be more organized takes some time. She will. Maybe she is not ready for pre school. She should rightly be in preschool the coming academic year if you are in india.

However if you still have doubts, please wait to label or do not go with self diagnosis. The information you find on the internet is to be used for awarness and not confirmation. Get it done by the right person.

Some of the things you mention are common in a 2.5 yr old. And the way you learn to understand her , guide her accordingly, distract or deviate a tantrum takes a little effort from the family. What she needs is a little assertive and attentive parenting.

So get her evaluavted if you have lost your peace of mind.

Stop googling for symptoms and confuse yourself. Adhd is a vast spectrum and there are too many parameters before you end labelling a child and i object to that by a teacher or parent who may or maynot be qualified to do so.

8. Sunshine04

First consult a developmental pediatrician and a child psychologist.
    Don't waste time.