Activities for Retired Parents in Dubai

Discussion in 'Personal Services in Dubai' started by RVM1983, Jan 16, 2012.

1. RVM1983

RVM1983 New IL'ite

Dear Readers,

I'm sure many of you that sponsor your parents here in Dubai might be in the same situation as me.
    My parents had been working in the Gulf since the early 90's and my father way before that. They retired 4 years back because of the age limitation of 60.
    For the past 4 years they were residing in India, but were not able to adjust to living there as they were used to the gulf lifestyle.
    So we (my sister and I) decided to sponsor our parents and have made arrangements for them to live with us.
    Now the issue is that my mother, keeps her self occupied with cooking/knitting etc......but my Dad is very very bored. He does not have any hobbies as throughout his adult life, he has been a workaholic!!!! and had no time to cultivate a hobby.
    I would just like to enquire are there any groups/activities/volunteer jobs for senior (Indian) men/women in Dubai? Will it be possible for us to create meetups/activities for them.
    It would be nice if members in the same situation can share their experience and we can collectively do something for them:)
    Thanks...
    RVM

2. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hi RVM,
    Hats off to you for the way you are taking care of your parents! Tell us a little bit more about your father, so we can try to find something to suit his taste! also it is important to know where you live!
    If he is an art lover, then we can look at that option.
    Convince him to join IL. He will enjoy Varalotti's writings!

Good move!

3. RVM1983

RVM1983 New IL'ite

Hi Usha,
    Thank you for the response.
    Well dad, enjoys watching cricket, going for his daily walks and like any retired person- "talking about his past experiences"!!!! ....he is not into browsing the net/art etc....as far as reading goes...the daily newspaper is enough for him. He was in the food Industry, and he loves eating/exploring good food....but unfortunately due to Health reasons, he is limited to eat only certain food items!!!
    We reside in Hor al Anz.
    Thanks...

4. Shivani2009

Shivani2009 Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Hi RVM
    Cheers for grt decision taken . Have you thought about taking any Golf Club membership , that may keep your Dad occupied and letting him to stay connected with other people .

5. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

hi

Congrats for your great decision. not every married woman take these kind of decision. If he is interested in sprituality, He can come to Sindhi ceremony hall, burdubai every friday. there you can find lot of religious activities like concert, om sakthi prayers, amirtanandamayi meeting etc will happens.

6. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

HI RVm
    Appreciate you efforts to keep your parents happy. I would suggest to look at some good libraries. Also he could enroll in any of the many available regional clubs/samajams. There he will meet several like minded people.
    Mega