1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

About wheelchair assistance at airport

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by radhagopal, Feb 8, 2013.

1. radhagopal

radhagopal New IL'ite

my mother travelling alone to India from USA(DENVER to HYDERABAD),she is a first time traveller.

we booked wheelchair for her with British Airways,pls anyone know from where wheelchair assistance starts at the airport,my mother cannot walk much and she don't know english.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

2. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

HI Radha, at the airport security gate itself they will take care, if you tell the security person or the BA helpers then they will take her to the ba counter for the pass and then they will take care till the boarding to the flight. also while getting down the ba helping persons will come to take her for immigration and will wait for all required process till to the exit(till she meets you) so dont worry...

1 person likes this.
  3. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

check this thread

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/g...-and-canada/116539-safe-my-mom-opt-wheel.html

My mom visited us a couple of years ago. As long as I remember, the wheelchair assistance starts at the main door itself (in India) where a person checks the passport. It is better if someone goes first and call an assistant requesting wheel chair. The assistant will come to pick the passenger and then they will guide very carefully. It is advisable to keep the handbag as light as possible with her medicines, small snack and one set of changing clothes,napkin,kerchief, necessary documents, pen, address of both India and US with phone numbers,currency etc ( I remember this many as of now, you can add/delete more)

I remember in India no one can get in the airport. So they have to be said bye at the main door itself. We suggested our mom to carry her cell phone so that she could keep in touch with my folks outside till she wanted to talk. I called her from US and kept her relaxed.

In the transit, the wheelchair passengers will be asked to stay till everyone leaves and then they will be wheeled out and taken to the next boarding flight counter.

In the US, as soon as she lands, an assistant again will help her go to the immigration counter. Some of them will automatically load the luggage, some might do it if your mom asks them to. Maybe you can train her to ask for help. Also we tipped the guy with a ten dollars.

Hope this helps. I remember the anxiety when my mom travelled the first time. I can help you if you need further help.

1 person likes this.
  4. radhagopal

radhagopal New IL'ite

Thank you for the quick reply,my concern is in the Denver airport wheelchair assistance starts from British Airways check in counter or somewhere else.

pls let me know

5. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

My In-laws fly via BA and the wheel chair guy always pushes them from the plane to our car. They do not give them a chance to get lost or anything they stay with them . When you check her in the wheel chair guy will come and take her through security and to the gate.

6. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

The wheel chair guy has the responsibility to hand over the passenger safely to their people. It starts from the start i.e counter to the end , in US when the passenger will recognise their people.

7. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hi, my mom came here alone with wheel chair assistance and same when she left to India. All we did is , we wrote a note and gave to her for safer side. The note briefly says where she want to go, her flight details, contact number...

usually once the plane stops, you have to tell to the airhoster that you waiting for wheel chair...they will come inside the plane and take you..