1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A very Peculiar and Worrying Situation

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by jibberish135, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jibberish135

jibberish135 Bronze IL'ite

You are right when you say that each and every small statement should not be examined. But when it gets repeated, may not be frequently, but yes, gets repeated many times over the two years we've been married, then i think its something that needs evaluation.

If there was commonality of goals, there are many things that can be passed off as innocent statements. In fact without the commonality of goals, maybe i subconsciously let it pass as a 'unintended' statement; however, as one of the other members has rightly pointed out, there may be a connection with the statements (on notion of marriage) with her current behavior.

If she still carries the same notion of marriage as she did before we got married, then irrespective of what i do there will not be a change. So i strongly believe its something that needs to be discussed with MC. Please do tell me if there's a stronger reason not to discuss this with the MC.

2. jibberish135

I do get the jist of what you are saying. Many other members have pointed this out as well. Many have also suggested that giving is more important than expecting in a marriage (to this effect).

I feel it has to come in both ways; not one. If you have the time, do read my latest post on the session with the MC, and a few subsequent posts. You will get a better idea of all the bickering between me and my wife (at least this is both ways :) ).

3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Whether you accept it or not, the two ways are not the same. What you said in the joint session was the first time you have clearly conveyed this possibility of a split up. Unlike some math theorem, this is totally not the same thing, whether you agree or not. For the first time you have stated this out loud in her presence. Earlier you felt this or told us this but not to her. I think there will be reverberations and fallout from this. Whether good or bad remains to be seen.

I feel these marriage counseling sessions have thrown up an indisputable fact. Your wife has a distorted view of marriage and what it entails. Her views are baggage she has brought with her from her maternal home into the marriage. I dont know what she saw or experienced there, what kind of dynamics exist between her parents in their marriage, but all of it has clearly affected her and caused these views. Including the hatred for marriage, the insecurity about sharing money and so on which advice came from her mother. This is the context in which I was urging you to convey some of the statements, opinions and attitudes to the MC. All this needs to be brought up, examined and fixed, your wife needs to let go of her insecurity and learn to trust you. To open up again and to undo all the damage will surely take more than 2 weeks. One question mark is whether you continue to remain by her side or vanish at some point of her journey. That is entirely up to you. At some point if these sessions continue, her parents are going to have to enter the picture and provide some of the missing pieces. If you can, pay attention when she talks about her father or her childhood to you, it is not merely ranting. As to time limit, if you are really going to enforce it you might as well call it quits right now, how much will change in 2 weeks?

What I find problematic in all this is that you mentioned the time limit to the MC to whom the info is meaningless, and kept your wife in the dark. Why? How will that help? If you really hope to force a change you should have let her know there is a clock ticking now, so she can react accordingly. This is neither here nor there. One option is to clearly let her know there is 2 week limit, within that you want to see x, y and z changes (the smaller ones or whichever you had in mind). It would have been best if this had been verbalized at the MC session, can you have the MC convey this to her separately?

I think you tend to over explain. That is different from talking too much. Speak as though words are costly, when you do give the other guy some credit ie., that he will have the sense to understand what you mean without your having to cross every i and dot every tee for him. This is is common problem for people who are not used to talking much so dont feel bad.
    If wife must have last word let her. Dont feel compelled to explain everything. If you must, simply say, that is not true and leave it at that. Refer to the points you noted down and try to stay on track.

One final suggestion OP. You have progressed through some MC sessions and moved well beyond the issues you raised in your initial post. Since you have got the answers to many of those original issues in your OP, why dont you close this thread now? Whenever there is an update, as with an MC session you can start a new thread with that along with any concerns you may have so readers are not confused and dont have to wade through 26 odd pages to catch up on the latest developments? If some background is needed you can refer us to the relevant post in this thread.

4. jibberish135

Reposting with reference.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  5. jibberish135

No where have i mentioned here, nor have i mentioned to my wife that she does not have to contribute towards anything financially. Of course i have to take care of all expenses if she is not working. No second thoughts on that. But when she is working, there is nothing wrong if she pays for her own stuff - thats my point. I have never told her either before marriage or after, that i dont expect her to take on any financial responsibility. This is your own conclusion.

Further, I see nothing wrong in her paying her parents back for your wedding out of her own salary. Even if she did not say anything before wedding regarding this point, it is the right thing to do. She is not asking you to foot their bills, only her own. Why are you making it into an issue? Let it go.

Again your own conclusion. My wife has no intention of paying her parents back for the wedding. Neither have i mentioned it anywhere in my posts.

Your post where you seem to have drawn this conclusion
    (Post 225, 3rd para): I agree that one should pay oneself, and I think that is what the wife is trying to do. She maybe trying to pay her parents as early as possible. So, the husband should not complain. I think it is odd that the husband is posting this here without discussing with his wife what she plans to do with her earnings.

Her being from a business family was no secret to you. She expecting you to provide financially after marriage was no secret to you. You could have declined to marry her, if you were not comfortable with this.

Expectation of providing financially if one does not work. Not like an arrangement of convenience, where i keep paying, have a pittance of a saving, while she splurges without batting an eyelid(with her savings only for her). I had never agreed to anything like this either. Not sure how you draw this inference.

A grown man going to his parents to talk about problems with his wife is very immature. You should not have involved them at all. It is your marriage, and you have to decide what to do, not your parents. Also, if the marriage works out, your wife's image is spoilt in front of her ILs, which will affect the relationship between your parents and wife.

When things go out of hand and there are too many problems, it is best that everyone knows about it. Shouldn't come as a shock at the N'th moment to everyone. Moreover, when we lived together, and she would scream at the top of her voice, everyone would know it anyways.

I feel your current situation would have been avoided if you had conveyed what you expected of your wife before marriage. Why are you blaming her for something you neglected to do? It was your responsibility to bring up your expectations from her before marriage, especially since she already discussed this with you before marriage.

I may have been wrong in not being so explicit. But no one is so explicit. To say that she's from a business family, so lets draw a blanket statement and assume that all girls coming from a business family will be like this, is wrong. I still dont think there is any link between coming from a business family and not taking any financial responsibility.

OP, you wanted a frank discussion. I have been frank with you, and taken the time and effort to explain things as they are logically, with all arguments. Please read all my posts once and tell me where I have been judgmental/out of context.

Read your own post - 225. In almost every paragraph you have drawn your own conclusions and in the sixth para are outright judgmental about working class girls having lesser expenses, and me having to marry someone like that.
    As much as i appreciate people taking out time to put in their thoughts, and be frank, lets not cross that fine line and get into the 'assassination' mode with the inferences you draw on your own.

Please also refer to your posts 219 and 220. You speak of self-respect or the lack of it. Again, lets not get into a 'guy' bashing mode just for the heck of it.

OP, You are not looking for divorce or trying to adjust with your wife at all. But continually arguing with those of us who are saying you should take some responsibility for your marriage. I asked you clearly what you want by posting here. Since you did not answer, one can only assume you want to 'win' the MC discussions, and then convince your wife she is wrong.

You're absolutely right about winning the MC discussions. I truly hope me and my wife come off as winners in the MC sessions and will be able to save our marriage.

What i want from this forum, i believe im getting it. Advice, and a peak into an objective woman's view. When i post in this forum, i cannot be expected to blindly nod in agreement for everything thats told to me. If you have really read all the posts, mine and others, you will realize that even though i disagree, i substantiate on my points of disagreement. Its not called argument. Its only a rebut - which is healthy for any discussion - to which many members subsequently have also given their points of view. And i truly appreciate it.

Im not sure if it was you or someone else who's also pointed out about the credibility of the MC, and the MC siding with me. I think it is outright preposterous to even suggest this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. jibberish135

You're right about me stating it in the converse. I wanted to convey the possibility of a split up if things dont work out. In fact i wanted this conveyed in the presence of the MC.

The MC, as i've mentioned before, has asked us to work on the smaller things in two weeks. Yes, will ask the MC to convey to her on the make-or-break two week aspect as well.

My wife is dead against her parents joining these sessions. I wonder why. Just as you've pointed out, the MC too says that my wife is not opening up and theres something inside her which is bothering her and its not coming out. Im not quiet sure how to get that 'something' out of her.

Again agree with you. I tend to over-explain, especially during the joint sessions. Will take your advice and be more concise and precise while at the MC.

I'll close this thread right here. Will start a new thread on how things are going, maybe in a week or two. I do really hope all the nice folks out here come back with their inputs and criticism.

7. jibberish135

As suggested by one of the members, i think it makes sense to close this thread right here. Once there is any progress, will start a new thread and update.

Would like to thank all the members for their time and patience. Many have analyzed the situation from different angles and have provided their inputs, and an insight into many things which i was not aware of myself.

Its indeed been a great experience posting out here.

8. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

OP,

You are misjudging me. No intention to offend you. On a public forum, when you ask people for advice, you will get some advice that you may not agree with. Sorry if I came across as judgmental.

I have not drawn any inferences. I have told you repeatedly in several of my posts to discuss with your wife what she plans to do with her savings. I suggested she may be saving to pay her parents back as early as possible. You are assuming things when you say that your wife will not spend anything if you need it. I asked you to discuss this point with her, instead of asking us to tell you why she is doing this. But you have not discussed this with her. You posted several times that about this, without discussing with her. That is all I said.

It is also a fact that 'traditional' marriages work with the husband providing financially for both people. You see nothing wrong with having a 'traditional' wedding ceremony, but are backing out of the responsibilities of the same. You should have had a smaller ceremony, and shared expenses, if you did not want to be in a 'traditional' marriage.

It is a fact that business family girls are used to higher standards of living than working class girls. That is what I said in my post. Nothing judgmental here.

OP, I have asked you in two of my posts what you expect from this thread. You did not reply. I gave you the chance to share your view. You replied to those two posts, but chose not to answer this question. So, in this case, I had to draw my inference.

You asked us to explain your wife's behavior in your posts. You were looking for reasons as to why she is behaving this way. I just answered your questions. Not sure why you think of it as 'assassination'. I am just giving my opinions.

OP, like I said earlier, I wish you are able to make things work in your marriage. I wish you best of luck. But for a marriage to work, you have to ignore the little things. I hope you can realize that.

I never mentioned anything about the credibility of the MC or the MC siding with you. But why it is 'outright preposterous', I fail to understand.

OP, I think you are not reading my posts or unable to understand what I have said. From your reply, I can see you have misunderstood every thing I said. I have been very objective, and given reasons for all the points I have raised. Please do not make assumptions, and accuse me of 'assassinating' you. I have raised many points and questions, very clearly, with all the reasons why it should be so. I have only said that your marriage is your responsibility too. I have my own thinking, and will not agree with every thing you say. Please don't take things so personally.

I do hope you are willing to put your points across after reading my posts objectively.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  9. indian78

indian78 Senior IL'ite

Dear OP,
    There is no point in sharing wedding expenses as u people had reception at ur place.
    Does she accepts to share expenses for reception.
    I have come across one case where wife does not have love on DH but she wanted to come out of the marriage .So she she made him spent lot of money on her ,maintain the distance with her husband .She intentionally quarreled before leaving her parental home ,told the parents her cooked up stories against her DH.Though their parent know it, finally they accepted forcibly to divorce .Now all are doing propaganda against DH.
    So be careful with these kind of things.

10. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

Indeed, this is "a very peculiar and worrying situation" with this one more post on this topic to reach 280.