1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Step Mother And Her Step Children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SGBV, Jan 17, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I attended a funeral of one of my ex colleague's mom last week.
    Basically funerals are the least thing I want to attend for the obvious heart breaks and discomforts there. But somewhat, I had to attend this one as I know, my presence at the funeral house would be noted and counted somehow.

Until I entered the house, I didn't know my colleague was the step son of this mother. Later, I found out that, all these 5 children were her step children only.

I got to speak to the family during my presence at the funeral house.

She was the second wife of their dad. It seems, their biological mom passed away while giving birth to her 5th child. The older one was only 10 at that time.
    Their father being extremely irresponsible, had no choice other than getting re-married to look after these young kids.
    He opted to marry this woman from an orphanage, hoping she wouldn't mind his drinking habit and irresponsible behavior, as she has no one to go to.
    He would treat his wife and the children very badly after the influence of alcohol, but somehow his Government job and secured wealth supported them to lead a basic life.

All the relatives chose to stay away from this family, fearing the responsibilities of these 5 young kids.

When the kids were feeling miserable due to the loss of their mom, and drunkard dad, this step mom chose to be their moral support. She cried with them, laughed with them, faced all the abuses with them, yet stood by them.
    She taught them about patience, tolerance, acceptance and humanity.
    They lead a happy life regardless of their circumstances.

After a few years, this dad too died due to some illness.

These 5 kids and their step mother moved on to live a decent life style within their limits.
    Eventually all of these children got married, and 4 of them moved out of the country for better opportunities.
    The step mom spent her last times with one of her married DD, who remained in the country.

They all made sure that they meet every year at their step mother's birthday at her home.
    Up until her last birthday, they continued their promise and celebrated their mother.

It was just a few months back that everyone visited home for their step mother's last birthday, and now they all are here for her funeral.

At the funeral, they were crying and remembering things like how she made them feel comfortable, how she helped them, how she stood by them and how badly they all miss her for life.

They say, their biological parents were very well replaced by this step mom. But no one can replace their step mom.

When parents prioritize their selfish needs and chose not to stand by their children, I salute this step mother for devoting her life for these step children. She will be remembered and respected by everyone for this.

When children have reasons not to visit their parents often, or opt to leave them in elders homes, I salute these step children for cherishing their step mom for what she has done to them.

PS: Obviously most of the biological moms would have done the same to her kids, and even more (including the labor pain). But some of us take her for granted, and prioritize our own life before her.

This funeral was an unforgettable experience in my life. This gave me reassurance about humanity.

2. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

Wow.....beautiful.....Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming positive incident ...in the midst of such
    negativity and darkness around.....this comes like a breath of fresh air. I truly applaud that young
    woman for taking on such a responsibility of 5 kids ....being a true mother...irrespective of all odds..
    Those children were truly blessed.....small wonder they in turn were a source of blessing to her too.

SGBV, joylokhi and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for sharing this. This story will be unforgettable for me too. Guess these are the kind of people who balances out the negativity in this world.

SGBV and joylokhi like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV,

You have shared a beautiful story; hats off to the mother who stepped in and the children who accepted her. It is wonderful that they cherished each other and kept their love alive till her end. It made me a little emotional.

SGBV and Archanaanchan like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV In the midst of all the negativity we get to hear among families in present times, your post really came like a whiff of fresh air with its positivity. We are often told that even if we dont visit people in good times, in times of death/funeral in the known circles, it is essential to participate if we can. A lot of life's lessons are often learnt on such occasions although it may be a little depressing.

SGBV likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A touching story and a testament to a mother's love. Bringing up five children is not an easy task.

Let's also give some credit to the man for providing well enough for his children and wife, and for choosing the right woman as a step-mother for his children.
    The woman also got a good upgrade in life -- moving from orphanage to a ready-made family, and a man who had faults but could provide. She moved from a life of loneliness and no one of her own to bringing up five children. She more than gave back for the break she got. To be remembered and cherished like her by children is beautiful.

SGBV likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A moving story.We have heard much about the ill treatment given to the children and on many occasions the step daughters were ready to get married early and move out of the clutches of the step mother.There are loveable step mothers too.
    My uncle, father's brother, a physician, had 4 sons and two daughters.The eldest son was 21 doing medicine and the youngest was just 2 when the mother passed away when they were returning from Burma during war before reaching India on the way.
    My uncle decided to get married to bring up all the six kids.My uncle was 53 and the girl was just 18from a poor family.
    Three children were with my parents when my uncle was in Burma.
    When the girl's parents told her that she was going to marry a doctor, she was dreaming about this 21 year old handsome boy, whom she had seen in our house.
    The fact that she was to get married to an old man of 53, 35 years older to her, was totally hidden from her.On the marriage day she was totally shocked to see my old uncle as the bride groom.All her tears went unrecorded.She became the second wife and step mother to six children.She too got two kids.

But it is remarkable that she took the entire burden as force of destiny and looked after all the children.Within 2 years the doctor son got married and the daughter-in-law was in fact older by a few months than the mother-in-law.
    I was born much later.Whenever I see my Amma who looked old and this young lady I used to wonder how could that be.In those days we could not open our mouths. I came to know of it much later.Within ten years of marriage my uncle passed away and she was just 28.
    They were financially sound.Yet taking care of a big family, making arrangements for daughters' marriage etc totally devolved on the step mother which she gladly accepted.
    She lost her own son early.She lived with her step son who performed all the funeral rites for her.She was exemplary!
    jayasala42

joylokhi, SGBV, Mistt and 2 others like this.
  8. NeetaR

NeetaR Silver IL'ite

Wow.....another remarkable story....
    Amazing how such a young woman could look beyond her
    own grief/disappointment and still draw beauty out of the ashes of her
    life.

SGBV likes this.
  9. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Jayasala madam, you are a great story teller; you have an interesting anecdote for every occasion and that is remarkable! Hats off to you.

SGBV likes this.
  10. Gouri9

Gouri9 Silver IL'ite

very nice, inspiring, feel good story..thank you for sharing it

SGBV likes this.