1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Letter Short Of….

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Jun 9, 2017.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

A letter short of….

Tarun was wondering what is he doing waiting in the reception of the trendy office in outskirts of city. It was a Friday afternoon when he received call from his batch mate Sujay. It was almost fifteen years since Tarun finished his graduation and he lost touch with many of them including Sujay. Call from Sujay took him by surprise and he was more surprised when Sujay insisted on meeting him that evening and sent a car to pick him at his office.

‘Hello Tarun. Very long time since we met..’ said Sujay coming out of meeting room.

The word ‘shock’ didn’t do justice to emotions that Tarun was going through when he emerged from the office. He requested some time to consider that.

That night when Tarun when to bed, he was mentally exhausted. Sujay did promise him a lucrative offer. 15 lakhs as one time payment for being used for testing!!

15 lakhs was a huge amount considering Tarun’s present financial condition. It was an amount which will solve all his financial problems. He remembered the conversation he had with Sujay

‘Why me?’ Tarun asked unable to believe what Sujay said so far.

‘We are testing an app which will control anger levels and I’m in charge of the operations. We want to test this with people of different backgrounds especially ones with anger problems. Your name came into my mind immediately.

With your current financial problem this amount will come handy. All you will have to do is allow us to insert a chip in your body and all use to control your anger levels via an app. We will be playing around with your hormones. Absolutely no side effects of this . This testing might run for six months. If it extends beyond that we will pay you again.

‘Is it Legal? ‘ Tarun never heard of humans used for testing.

Sujay brushed off reply to that question but insisted that no one should no about this testing. If company hears to know about Tarun’s breach they will immediately take necessary action.

Before his eyelids shut Tarun decided that he will say no for the proposal. But an email from bank stating that he exceeded his overdrafts limits and reminder for personal loan EMI made him think otherwise. 15 lakhs will change the way of life and he eventually said Yes!

A week later ,it was his wife who spotted the difference first.

‘Tarun you are surprisingly calm even when the waiter turned up with wrong order. I think meditation is working for you.’

Tarun smiled unable to reveal the exact reason.

Later his colleagues pointed out:

‘Tarun how come you are so calm even when other team took credit for work?’

That evening Tarun called Sujay and explained the incidents:

‘I’m feeling calm without even trying. Thanks to your testing.’

‘Aren’t you happy that you signed up for it? We are going to slight variations in app this weekend.’ Replied Sujay

Tarun felt his life was changed positively by Sujay. It was really a calm month and he cleared the loan with money and felt very positive.

Tarun took his wife for a celebratory dinner. His wife kept on asking how he saved money for clearing the loan.

‘I know you are lying Tarun.’

‘I asked you to stop asking questions about it.’ He remarked sharply.

‘Why should I?’ she raised the voice. A minute later she yelled ‘ Tarun look what have you done.’

It took Tarun sometime to realize that he had slit his wife’s hand with knife in the table. It was a small cut but what shocked Tarun is he reacted without even realizing what’s happening.

‘I’m sorry. I didn’t realize.’

‘What would have happened if the knife was sharp? What’s happening with you?’ she asked as Tarun was cleaning her wound. Tarun cooked some story about office pressure and pleaded with her not to raise the subject of money again.

‘Sujay. I want to stop this. It’s becoming dangerous. Atleast previously I used to get angry and I was able to control my actions. Yesterday I took knife without even realizing what I was doing..’ Tarun was explaining to Sujay.

‘You are overreacting Tarun. Another four months this will be over.’ Sujay said convincingly

Tarun cursed himself for signing up such an experiment. Atleast he felt in control when he was angry, controlling it is proving dangerous.

Several incidents happened that week which worried Tarun. He was about to hit a neighbor over a car parking issue, he threw his new iphone from balcony just because his boss said something bad in call.

‘Let’s meet a doctor Tarun. I’m worried’ his wife pleaded.

‘Sujay. If you guys are not removing the chip, I’ll have to speak to authorities.’

Sujay who remained unmoved by the threat continued looking into the laptop and said ‘ Sure we will remove the chip the next hour you transfer back 15 lakhs.’

‘I will transfer 5 lakhs now and rest ten lakhs in another six months. I just cleared out personal loan.’

Sujay chuckled and continued his work, Tarun realized that he is not in bargaining position and an unknown emotion went through him.

When Tarun sat back in chair, he was shocked to find Sujay looking at the ceiling and his neck was strangled with telephone cable.

PavithraS, AnooSA, HazelPup and 4 others like this.

2. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Very good one BB! Dangerous experiment that was..!

3. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Wow Very Interesting .... @blackbeauty84 ..

Best Wishes to continue it with the same pace. :clapclap:

4. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

Kudos to your imaginative skills BB..

5. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

That was a good imagination.. very thrilling story

6. SakinaN

SakinaN New IL'ite

OMG sounds scary !!!:fearscream:

7. blackbeauty84

Thanks Rajeni for the feedback.
    Yes dangerous in reality

8. blackbeauty84

Thanks much sangeetha for generous feedback

9. blackbeauty84

thanks Rampuri9

10. blackbeauty84

Thanks Spritualsoul. Glad to receive your feedback.