1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Good Read - 10 superb ways to impress your mum-in-law - coutesy TOI

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by swt.charu, Jan 12, 2012.

1. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

@Sweetestshweta - This question really surprises me... now I really wonder if you have not come across a rude DIL at all. As for me .. I have seen DILs who treat their MILs (especially widowed) like dirt...Once I attended a family function where the son and the DIL made his mother sit in an unknown corner of some unknown room and get the maids serve her food... I just happened to go to that room and after seening that scene .. I have cried for a whole week at home... I can't even imagine what that mother would have gone through.

2. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Sorry, but I cannot understand what do you mean by unknown corner and unknown room. What are the acceptable corners and acceptable rooms according to you where MILs can be seated and which aren't? Also what is wrong if a maid serves the MIL? Will the food not taste the same? Is there a risk of contamination/poisoning? You cried for a whole week at this? I have to say there there are people suffering much much worse than this. I wonder if you ever sleep a good nights sleep or do you think of suffering people all the time and cry. Or are you sensitive to only and only an MIL's pain?

3. swt.charu

How insensitive this reply is !!! Imagine this... you are having a grand function at home you have made arrangements to receive your guests, friends and relatives. You all have a great time together - talking, chatting, eating and having fun together... and in all this you would not want to include your MIL.. how does this sound to you?? take another step and imagine this MIL happens to be good hearted neibour whom you know for years or an aunt very close to you or your own sister or worse your own mother.. how does this taste ???

Its not about maids serving food or poisoning the food... its about maids serving food only to the MIL and rest of the crowd is being taken good care by the hosts themselves... isnt that a crap behaviour ??? For me Yes ... thats crap behaviour.

I am not a saint who would have sleepless nights because Cruise Concodia sunk... unfortunately I am not a saint.. but yes when someone very close to me suffer it impacts me.

1 person likes this.
  4. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

So, is she your golden hearted neighbor or someone very close to you? In that case, you should have been busy helping them serve food to other guests, MIl and everyone and sharing their workload rather than sitting and observing the plight of the poor MIL. Hope that doesn't sound too insensitive to you.

5. swt.charu

No wonder newspapers have started to write about basic manners these days... I can understand how much essential it is in this age and time...

1 person likes this.
  6. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

Good post...
    I liked the intention rather than the article..

7. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Yes, newspapers are doing a great job, and TV serials too.:thumbsup
    BTW, what are the basic manners? The hosts should be serving the family members, while the maids serve the guests?
    No seriously, I am wondering, if you are so close to them, why weren't you giving the MIL company and helping the hosts to serve or better still serving and looking after your own MIL. Since you are such a good dutiful DIL, I am sure your MIL lives with you and you had taken her with you to the party. And if you don't know them that well, how would you even know the inside equation of their family and how can you even judge someone without knowing the inside story. (No offense, please)

1 person likes this.
  8. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

I really dont try to impress my MIL. i am what i am as i have accepted you the way you are so do you .Yes only one thing i can do is that when i am a MIL i will try my best to understand give all the freedom to my DIL that i had wished as DIL so that she dont feel the sameway as i do for mine MIL, and will also teach my daughter if i had one to be a good noninterfearing SIL.

At least this is what i can do.. :)

9. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

@swt.Charu
    Wats so surprising!! Which world you belong to!! Yes I havent seen many MILs being mal treated..Instead the society which we belong to,I have witnessed mostly the DILs being treated badly..I am not talking of individual cases.Not all MILs are bad nor all DILs are bad..We find both kinds of cases but mostly DILs are decent enough and MILs are dominating in Indian scenario.Generally the MILs who are not treated properly are the ones who have tortured or ill treated their DILs in their heydays so when the tables turn and they become very old,if the DIL is not a SAINT,MIL will reap what she had sown years ago..
    My own grandmother(after gradpa died) didnt use to attend social functions(OUT OF CHOICE-before you object this too) and no one forced her to do so.She didnt feel like!!

This particular case you are quoting might be one exception or you must not be knowing the entire truth so,why to make opinions and cry whole week for that..
    If you felt so bad with her plight and are also close to her,why didnt you raise any opinion or objection there?
    And why did you see this isolated incident only?
    If she was being mal treated otherwise also,why didnt you do anything about it?
    And if you were not aware of other incidents,sorry but you have no claim of being so close to her!
    Why didnt you talk to her family or better, report the matter to old people helpline?
    You should have done something for that poor lady instead of eating,coming home and crying whole week..

By the way,I have only heard,seen and read about DILs being burnt..Not a single case I have heard about where a MIL was set to fire by a DIL..No offense please..

1 person likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

If the thread had a pulse it will be throbbing with so much hatred and negativity.
    Granted some of ur MIls are difficult..but please for heavens sake don't turn every thread into one
    which bashes up in laws...
    I really request the mods to have a sticky...Bashing Inlaws.