1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Good Read - 10 superb ways to impress your mum-in-law - coutesy TOI

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by swt.charu, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Present a united front: Even if you have certain issues with your mom-in-law, don't wash the dirty linen in public.

Beyond a point.... When ILs don't leave home operational enough to clean the linen, it has to be sent to laundry.. also after washing linens you cant dry everything in house.. it has to be in bright sunlight...
    More than currrent generation.. its the ppl of previous generation who love to bring everything to the bright light in their own manner....
    FIR matters on who reported it first.

Whenever one tries to appear UNITED, it only means .. more is going to follow.

2 people like this.
  2. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

The only set of people who can never be impressed by me is In-Laws. Rest of the world can appreciate me for my abilities, but this set of people will always have very good eyesight to find fault with. Its waste of time and energy to think they would pass any single appreciation for me. If I had spent the same amount of time, energy and money on at least one poor needy person, they would be really in a good position now, and would be grateful to us for their life long.

3. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

i hav just my middle finger to show to TOI..dils nver need any advises.even if dil do somthing wrong its the result of ill manner of inlaws..give advises to mommy boys and inlaws.

4. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

5. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Rissy,

That was a really good one...

Thanks for shairng it.

Malar

6. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

7. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Hi Charu..
    The article is nice but as said above,it will work only for normal MILs..
    I really liked Monita's reply..
    Well I'll highlight what happened in my case:-

Do your homework:- There were a lot of issues between MIL and co sis,Sil and co sis,SIL with her ILs etc.. DH already knew but he never told me anything.The family appears so happy and united from outside.Even after marriage,no one really opened up and I had a tough time to know everything.DH says there is nothing to tell but I came to know about all quarrels when DH was talking to them on phone. So,how can you complete your homework when everyone treats you as an outsider!

Dress well:- I do that.The whole world will appreciate except MIL.She will somehow find faults-if not with dress or jewellery, she'll point out that I have gained some weight which will surely dampen your spirit.

Gifts:- I do that everytime whenever I meet her or SIL.But they somehow dont value.They'll find fault with the colour,size or some xyz reason..

Apart from this,I am very polite with her.Can a DIL be rude i wonder.Even our values will not allow us as she is elderly.But it is always taken as a weakness.
    Competing with her is also not possible.We dont have common grounds for that.I have always appreciated openly about her qualities-her confidence,versatile nature,her culinary skills etc.
    But ladies,I have realised that no matter how much we try to impress,they will find out a reason to find fault with us.A year's of good work and efforts will be thrown in dustbin on any minor issue.
    In my case,I was trying to do all these from 2 years but last week a small issue(misunderstanding created by SIL) has destroyed it all.I am not able to be the same with MIL because of her biasness and cunningness shown.
    In my case I have a double task-MIL and SIL come as a package.So,I have to make all these efforts for both..
    Many of you have decided to show the middle finger and don "I dont care" attitude and "why to impress at all" philosophy..
    I am still in dilemma what to do-continue with my efforts to impress or just dont care!!

8. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Wow, the news of MIL-DIL issues have started to appear in newspapers too. Only TOI will cover these issues. If only they knew about the problems of indian DILs by going thru IL threads.

1 person likes this.
  9. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Wow !!! ladies ... Honestly I din't expect such response to this thread...

Frustrations thrown here are understandable...My personal opinion is these tips work only for normal human being who one fine day get into a role of a DIL or a MIL.

When I say normal I mean - a monther in law who is more accepting of her DIL but has an acceptable list of expectations from DIL for example

1) Respect elders - but need not bend backwards to please anyone
    2) Get gifts - just to assure the parents that the younger generation have them in their mind
    3) Dress well - Our kids (including DIL) are our source of pride. yes parents like to show off their grown up and well settled children.
    etc

These are reasonable expectations I think.

There may be girls who probably are insensitive to these basic needs and the tips given here is probably intended to such girls.

However none of these would work for a factory made Monster in Law and a pure filtered Devil In Law :-D

10. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

@ Rissy...

ha ha ha...that cracked me up...very funny but unfortunately true !!!