1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Desi Mom!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Meena,

You had me on riotous laughter while reading your post. To me 'Desi Momsies' are the best in the world!

There is something in this desiness that makes these moms very endearing. After the initial rebel, prolonged ruckus and final reprieve the day isn't far when your daughters would serenade you singing -

Dekhi lakh lakh pardesi mom!
    Ain't nobody like my desi mom !!

Dekhi lakh lakh pardesi mom!
    Sab tho soni saadhi desi mom !!

Thumka lagaike she'll rock your world
    My desi mom ..my desi mom!!

Utterly true to the letter and spirit, we all stand by you Meena.

You sprung into the forum with a distinct flavoured writing that is bursting with zippy zippy..zing. Enjoyed reading it. Loved re-reading it! :2thumbsup:

2 people like this.
  2. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Wow Meena!
    Seeing your name brought the widest grin on my face! I knew that smile will spread when I saw the title and eagerly dove into your article! You never fail to deliver my dear friend!

You simply have dotted all the "i"s and crossed the "t"s when it comes to describing us desi moms. How true we behave, grooming our children to make them so confused, that they are grow up into the acronym coined by some genius - "ABCD"s..American Born/Bred Confused Desis"!! Hahaha!

As with other of your insightful articles on "Life in these United States" I was wondering if you peeked in my home sometimes. What you described was eerily representing me.

Lovely to see you again Meena; this time please do stay!

1 person likes this.
  4. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

When you get ready to enter this phase, you will be armed and ready now that you have read all our experiences Ramya. :) Thank you for stopping by.

5. meenasankaran

Thank you aparnag.

6. meenasankaran

Well said navs23! Life really has come full circle for me. I recognize the chip on my child's shoulder very well because I had a similar one on mine growing up. I wonder how my mom put up with me because I was twice the rebel at my child's age and was very vocal about it too. I keep telling myself that 'this too shall pass' and believe it most of the days. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. meenasankaran

Dear Mira,

Desi DNA, as you eloquently called it, is made of sterner stuff. It is not easily manipulated and stays just as stubborn as a 15 year old. Now I can tell my daughter the next time she accuses me of being a Desi mom that it isn't my fault. I was wired that way. :thumbsup

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hey Meena,

Loved your writing... Sitting here with a hot cup of tea (sorry, rasam to be prepared for dinner) liked the way you summed up desi moms

-A Proud Desi mom

9. meenasankaran

LOL Uttara :rotfl:rotfl

While I thoroughly enjoyed your song :), being the practical Desi Mom that I am, I don't honestly foresee any serenading from my daughter in the near future.

'Rebellion is a by-product of raging hormones', people keep telling me. So I just have to brace myself and ride the wave like everyone else. Ranting about it every once in a while is my stress-buster so thank god for that. :)

Thank you Uttara. :bowdown

10. meenasankaran

How do you always manage to make me feel so special Kamala? Thank you for your constant enthusiastic appreciation of all that I write.

As for peeking into your household, I plead 'not guilty' Kamala. At least you are just hours from my place. Kelly/Kerman is all the way in Bangalore and she says that the same thing happens in her house too. Short of being Krishna paramatma, how could I have peeked into her windows too? We are all of the same mould Kamala. The inimitable Desi Moms. :)