1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 yrs girl - Study Time

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Soch, Oct 8, 2013.

1. daffny

daffny Silver IL'ite

i too really wonder what will be there to study for a 4th standard student for 3 to 4 hours a day? my son is in 6th standard and he sits 1 hour a day(this also some days he escapes telling some lame excuses :)). he is a A+ grade student. week ends , some days it is really difficult to sit that one hour too. dont make studies so stressful to the kid at this stage itself.

1 person likes this.
  2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:welcome Soch Sister to IL family,

I would suggest you to take a break from work for a week or ten days be with her and tell your dad to take rest for those days as he is otherwise taking care of his GD, now you take control of the situation and see practically what is needed, then try to continue that schedule which makes her happy.

This is just my opinion, Try may be it works... Best wishes...

4 people like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Akila Mani you have echoed my thoughts.....

Soch i dont think theres any particular number of hours that is needed for studying.It just depends on each child's capabilities and the subject they are studying.
    Give your daughter more time ,love and support.Dont worry.....she'll be fine once she gets enough support from you.

3 people like this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    you need to stand up to your father....he is spoiling your dd life & urs too but the worst is that he is doing out of love & concern.....be strict with him & tell him that you don't want ur dd studying that long & not playing.....taking a small break will also help.

1 person likes this.
  5. Soch

Soch Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for the reply. I have told him so many times about that. I generally take off and give him some time. I have planned to take off this from tomorrow and be with her for 5 days.
    He is thinks only about her studies all the time. Last week at 5 in the morning he was searching for Wren&Martin Grammer book to teach her as in school progress card they have mentioned general comment as to improve grammer.

Other who look at it tells that i am lucky to have somebody to teach, i dont know what to reply. :)

She is very understanding kid and lovely kid. Now a days i see that i all going out slowly. I feel for her very badly.

1 person likes this.
  6. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

Please do not count the hours of study. Just see that she is learning enough and doing homework.

Do not make her study continuously. Let her take a break and spend time with you. You may also join her in studies and teach her so that she gets your company while studying too.

If she was already doing well earlier then stick to old regime.

1 person likes this.
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

You have great suggestions from everyone. I totally agree that you need to stand up for your daughter. Here is my suggestion

I think you depend on your dad for taking care of your child as you work.

Talk to your dad sitting down one on one. Tell him that each child is different and all this strict routine is not really working for your daughter. Be ready for some attitude and negative feeling from your father ( old school---he is always right). Tell him what you think is a good routine and you need his help to implement it.

If he continues with "his way" then I would highly encourage for you to look for alternative arrangements. Remember this kind of pushing can foster life long dislike for learning. Learning should be fun but by pushing too hard we are moving them away from it.

All the best and I know this will be very difficult for you to do but you got to do it for your daughter.

1 person likes this.
  8. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Hi Soch,

4 hours a day for a 9 year old is simply too much....

My son is 8 years old and in 3rd grade.. he studies for one hr in the evening on weekdays, followed by half hour of snacks, milk, chatting with me about his day and then one hour of outdoor play...

one hour in the morning, and one hour in the evening on weekends.

and he is the topper in his class..

I think one hour of concentrated studying is far more helpful than several hours of distracted and disinterested studying...

9. Soch

Soch Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your suggestions. Spent time with my daughter for 5 days. She was happy. i am planning to come early to office and leave early to be with her. I might have to work from home in evening. Will see how it goes for some days.

I feel, her concentration is very less. She gets distracted soon, So my father is try to pull her back and that creates tension.
    For example, she will tell spelling correctly but she will miss it while writing. In Maths also , if she multiply, in work area she will do it properly, but when she writes in problem she will write some number.

She also tell its sweats a lot while writing

Any idea how to make her concentrate.

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Children who engage in active physical play and unstructured free play can concentrate well. So let her play a lot. Make sure she doesn't sit for more than 30 mts at a stretch. Give her small errands to run to help recharge her batteries during study time. Give her plenty of water breaks-good for concentration.

1 person likes this.