1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 Month Old Very Clingy And Not Yet Sitting Please Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by shwetapj, Jul 17, 2017.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

hi

My lil one is 9 months old and very very active. Here comes the problem she tries to sit unsupported but tumbles. She doesn't like to be on the floor and like practice sitting only on the bed. Next problem is she is very very clingy. She won't leave me even for a second. She only loves to hangout with me and her dad but her dad can't stay home all the day but he takes care whoever he is home. Rest of the day I am all alone with her and she won't allow me to even go to loo and cries and screams. If i put her with her toys on the floor she will turn to me. She will love to sit on my lap and bouncing and practice standing
    A bit of the background ever since her birth i am the only one taking care of her. Neither of her grandparents are bothered to come and meet her and even if my mil visits us my LO will never ever go to her. She won't come to live with us lots of problems
    Is this behavior of a 9 month old normal? I take her out to park once a week but now it's not possible due to rains

Did any of you go through this phase? For how long does it last? This drives me nuts

2. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

@shwetapj ,

This is common in the nuclear family. The little one's behaviour is normal. Since she is with you most of the time she behaves that way. Start putting her on the floor with her favourite toys. Try to play peek a boo game.

You can even give her a small spoon and plate and be with you near the kitchen so that you can do your work.

Sitting, they will do it. Give some support around her her make her sit in the middle of the pillows. You have to closely moniter for few days. Later she will sit without any support.

Do not pick her as soon as she starts crying or screaming. Instead talk to her . It will be tough but you have to practice this else it will be tiring for you as well.

3. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Please consult a doctor if you feel she is not keeping up to the milestones of growth. Do not postpone.

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Milestones are different for each one. Mine was late by a few months in everything, but doc said it's nothing to worry and don't overthink n stress.

And they were right, all the milestones were achieved but just with a lil bit of delay and now you won't know the difference. If it bothers you, be sure to check with a doc. But most kids just pick it up.

About the clingy part, most kids are, but it is more so when they grow up only with us. I went through the same thing. There was no such thing as a second of privacy or breaks. They will be in the bathroom too.

It may change over time. Esp after playschool. But you can try a few things to control it.

Never give in for every cry, tantrums, screams. It will just get worse.

Teaching them to play alone is something we need to train them on. Give stuff that really interests them n let them sit in front of you n play with it and you won't participate but say you will be right there and doing your things. This takes time, but will work.

Keep them occupied. Esp once she starts walking, you can give her house work, carry this, keep it there, clean this. i did with my son too. Sometimes it ends up as double work for us but most of the time, it distracts them, helps with their excessive energy, they feel proud of their accomplishments and keeps us sane.

Distraction n direction can work. Just experiment with a few stuff and see which works for you. Don't worry, you aren't alone.

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

6. LisnaFernandez

LisnaFernandez Junior IL'ite

Behaviors will be different for every kid. Even this is the same as for ourselves too. Let her free to whatever she wants to. Don't bothered much, these behaviors are common during the early stages. She will be with someone which she feels safe and it is a problem at all. What you have to do is try to mingle her with the grand parents and any other frequently visiting relatives or friends. Don't compel, just let it be. The rest will be fine.

7. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

OP - i have gone through your other posts as well and i think your baby is 11 months old now. All babies are clingy.I remember ,My daughter used to wake up and cry when i used to get up and go to pee in the middle of the night.Yes! I was scared to even pee.Lol... Dont worry.Ask your husband to keep an eye on her when he is home.When you are by yourself,put her in something she cant get out off by herself - a highchair, a swing ,crib etc and go ,run and use the restroom as quickly as you can.It gets better with time. These days she just keeps knocking on the bathroom door till i come out.

8. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies

Thanks for your replies. The clingy phase does pass one day. My baby is no more clingy or got separation anxiety. She loves playing with kids of her age. I take her to park everyday and also she is no more clingy. A complete transformation overnight. She sits and crawls very fast and she runs behind me in the kitchen n watches me cook.

Deborah likes this.