1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

7year Old Daughter Asking The Meaning Of "f-word"

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by cliona, Jan 9, 2017.

1. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    My 7 year old daughter asked my husband the meaning of "f-word". She heard it at school bus where bigger kids were talking. How do we respond to this!! Bit of a shock for us.
    Please suggest.
    Thanks,
    Cliona

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Its better you explain them and say that is bad word, should not be used.
    I always feel, its better they knwo the actual meaning and know not to use also.

If they go and ask others, it will be even more awkward.

cliona likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

That would be a shocker!

I'd suggest you don't make it sound like a huge deal. Just wrinkle your nose a bit and say it's a rude word that some grown ups use when they are upset or frustrated. Explain there are many other ways to express oneself eg. Saying "oh dear" when frustrated. Tell her you trust her to not use the word because it isn't good form to use it. Rather than explicitly command her not to use it or give an overview of its exact meaning or say the word is very very bad or something - which will only make her more curious - just be a bit dismissive / disapproving about it.

Indhradhanu, Rihana, cliona and 3 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL..I remember that shock. my kid asked me that question at about that age. She saw it in a library book - scrawled by other borrowers. So ironic it was.. a library book leading to knowledge of such a word. : ) I did what guesshoo has suggested. Or thought I did... months later, she got into beeg trouble for scrawling that same word on another library book ... I forget the actual reason for this little rebellion from her.

We sat and erased the word from the book's pages. Her tears, few of mine, and the eraser "dust" mingling as we sanitized the book. : ) Fast forward to high school, teachers allow some use of the word in class, and are known to use it themselves too.

Like guesshoo suggested, best is to casually tell them it is not good form. At that age, they are usually happy to follow such a comment rather than an explicit and unnecessary "don't you dare".