1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

11 Month Old Wakes Up Frequently At Night Crying

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by shwetapj, Sep 4, 2017.

1. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

hi

My 11 month old wakes frequently at times around every hour for breastfeeding and goes back to sleep. She cries at the top of her voice. I feed her solids 3 times a day and breastfeed on demand rest of the time.

I tried introducing snacks but it fills her tummy n she Doesn't eat much of her lunch or dinner.
    This is driving me nuts as I am badly sleep deprived and day time she only naps for hardly 1 hour that too waking up in between. This has been going on for more than a month now and doc said this will happen probably till she is a year old till 16 months

I am thinking to start with whole cow milk though my peadiatrician asked me to wait for a year

Please suggest how to deal with it. I tell my self it's a phase this too will pass

2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Hello. Its true they wake up but waking every hour is too frequent.I think she is nursing to sleep and is not hungry.Its normal.Babies get in the habit of nursing to sleep and cant fall asleep without it.Its also a phase and this too shall pass but it gets really tiring for the moms.
    There are a few things you can try.
    Since she is already 11 months,a little cow's milk will cause no harm.I started my daughter aroung 11 months too.The pediatrician say to start after 12 months,so its really upto you. I used to mix cow's milk with water initially like 50-50 ,then 60-40 and by the time she was 1 year ,it was only milk,no water.You can try this but i dont think it will help with her waking.She will still wake up as she is habitual of your breast.
    The second method will be more helpful ,it helped me.Try putting her to sleep by patting,rubbing her back etc.She will cry initially,wanting just your breast.But slowly (over a week),she will get habitual.And do the same when she wakes up in the middle of the night. I noticed that my Daughter started sleeping longer intervals after 1 year.Now she is 17 months,doesnt nurse ,goes to sleep by patting or rubbing.But she still wakes up after 2 -3 hours and needs me next to her to sleep.
    Hope this helps.This too shall pass.

3. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Start to feed the baby by the bottle once a day then increase it they do resist but u have to.let her cry it's fine she will eventually take it.. night time try to stop feeding her I know this part is very hard ,if she asks give her water in the bottle she will suck that n sleep..
    i use to give my baby 2spoon something to eat so atleast 2to 3 hrs has sound slerp

4. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hi @Deborah

Thanks for your advice. I have already started her with cow milk and it doesn't do any harm. She takes bottle also. I am looking to switching to bottle feeding of cow milk when she wakes in the middle of the night which will probably make her tummy full