1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

10 Tips to combat boredom and make use of TIME

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Mar 4, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

In our lives often, we are forced to confront situation when we have lot of time and not much to do. For women marriage, pregnancy,place shift, career and many social reasons create unexpected breaks. So how can one make the best use of free time.

( On H4 ? here are some tips. )

On other hand women in opposite end of spectrum cannot breath. These women are running around, working, taking care of family and kids sometimes with little or no support from fellow beings.

Most of time it's the same woman switching between the two extremes of too much time and too little time.

So how does one make best use of Break - time ?

1. Learn an art. Creative expression of self helps fighting not just boredom but depression too. You can draw, paint, sew, knit, sing, learn calligraphy, photography, story writing, foreign language or graphology. Cooking is a popular pastime too.

2. Learn a skill that may be useful in future. You may want to pick personal finance concepts, some software tools ( Microsoft office) , soft skills ( Articulation, Assertiveness, Confidence building books), health and diet facts, work on your spiritual and mental side. Resources are abundant. Motivation and Willingness is all that one needs.

3. Register for courses in your area. Community colleges are there in US. Several Diploma courses may be available. Register for online courses. Browse around and you will get abundant stuff on the net. Computer courses are always there.

4. Once you are bored going to same gym, switch to other work outs like pilates or swimming or aerobics or Salsa.
    Once you are bored cooking the same food, washing same vessels, try new cuisines like Italian or Mexican at home.
    Once you are bored with same activity SWITCH. Keep yourself occupied.

5. Newness is fun anytime. Change hairstyle, try something undone ( and safe of course), pedicure, change the look of the house, re arrange furniture. Get unconventional ! Go out have fun - Out in open on green grass with sky above.

6. Do see what you do everyday, maybe have an activity log. This will ensure that you are being productive and active and above everything else, you will not regret, that you wasted so much time in past. Have a plan for the day too. Track too much time wastage.

7. Don't spend too much time thinking. Out of experience I can assure you, you will end up wasting it. Take small risks and you will only learn if you went wrong.

8. Watch good shows on TV. It's not an idiot box all the time. Some interesting shows and channels increase your IQ or simply make you laugh.

9. Make an effort to be informed. It's not good to be in a circle of friends and staying quiet because you do not have much to contribute. Also you can work on building an excellent, educated vocabulary.

10. Work on a better you.

Add your tips ladies.

We all have different interests. Unfortunately many of us do not know what we are born for or what we like the most. Do a self-discovery. Browse around the net, library and talk to people to find what you like the most. Invest a week to learn about the skill which is close to what you like. You will be in for surprises. Sometimes it's okay to be a jack of all and master of none ;-).

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear MeenLoch,

That was a good post about boredo m and how to take care. In fact i think i keep doing all this....new hairstyles, new cooking recipes, books, and of course when i was in india all kinds of computer courses. Even here i went for a german course, being the oldest in the group, did not stop me!
    I saw Pirivom ....i did think Sneha could have done so many things to keep herself from going mental! Good analysis ....and very good suggestions to stop oneself from getting bored or depression.

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

German ? Sounds cool. Any online resources to learn foreign language Ms. Sudha ?
    Oldest in group ? - A new post is coming from me in it's praise.. :)

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Nice ideas Meenloch.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Another good thing, also in terms of providing good exposure and expanding your network is to get involved in voluntary work/community service.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Blood drives (Red cross, CURE foundation etc) are always in need of volunteers. Then there are these marathons for cause organizers who are in need of volunteers too. I think it is a great way of doing some good work and also getting to know new things and new people.
    <o:p></o:p>
    If you one likes to write, they could contact local Indian news papers/magazines and start contributing there.
    SS

5. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Hi MeenLoch,

With all these ideas of urs where is the time for boredom. Except for the foreign language department I can see my self doing all of the things u mentioned..some how can't learn foreign languages much except for a couple of phrases and words.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vidya,

Well good tips. But to be frank, I am never bored. touchwood, that is one thing i have never faced.

Pirivom sandippom, i have got the cd, but did not get the time to sit and watch the movie...a nd btw it is not cheran's direction, he has only acted in the movie...

The main cause of boredom stems from the mind. keeping your mind active is the best solution. and the next -ve is self pity...why me. life is too small to sit and crib for lost causes...move forward....be practical, instead becoming emotional.

Learning a new art, Reading, Discussing, Writing, Cooking anything that fancies you.. the moment you feel it going stale switch to something else, and then get back...to it again if you feel passionate about it.....

7. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

One more thing to learn would be driving. It is near to impossible to live in the US and not know how to drive.

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Meens Very nice ideas and very well written too..can keep this for reference..One more thing I have in common with Shanthi is I too have never been bored in my life..

9. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Madhu11 - Thanks
    SS - Good addition to the list. As nivedi says, driving brings in a whole lot of new activities to do.

10. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Apne IL ki Shan, ( Hope you got the other meaning)
    Thanks for the correction abotu cheran s movie. Found your words inspiring. Bookmarking them in my mind. _ ve thoughts, I become their vicitm very soon :-(.

Switching is a great way to fight boredom. Instead of leaving it entirely one can SWITCH.

AC - Good you are occupied. End of the day we should be satisfied with what we did. If we are pleased ourselves, no worries at all.