1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

“Where are you going to ……”

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Where are you going to ……”

Adyar Ananda Bhavan (A2B), located at Chinnar a few kilometers before Krishnagiri town, is our usual ‘pit-halt’ whenever we drive out of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City>. The use of the word ‘pit’ is deliberate, everyone who drops in here literally attacks the delicious food as if the stomach is a bottomless pit!

And what does A2B have to do with the title, I can hear you say. Well, read on…

My nephews are looking around as we grab a table in the crowded hall.

- “I bet that family is on their way to Chennai” – the younger one
    - “Yeah sure! They could be on their way to any number of places, Tiruvannamalai, Coimbatore, Tiruchi, even Kodaikanal, for all you know” – the older chap
    - “I overheard them mention Nungambakkam and Anna Nagar”

This is a “time-pass” game they play during long-distance car journeys, staring unabashedly at other travellers, only the very young can get away with such innocent curiosity!

As a child, I too remember wondering where all these people were going so purposefully and what they would do once they reached the destination. Even today, when walking on the road, riding in a bus or driving on the road, these lines from a Welsh rhyme come to mind -

‘Where are you going to, my pretty maid…’

Makes me think we are always going somewhere … Life itself is a quest, maybe in pursuit of success, fame, fulfillment of desires that seem to be the path to happiness – yet leaving one with a feeling of discontent once all this has been achieved.

And the journey continues as we search for that elusive something, the ‘highest happiness’, the ultimate goal beyond the pleasures of the material world, call it Moksha, Nirvana, Mukti…

Padma Srinivas

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

It is great how you related our daily sometimes routines journeys to one that of moksha:) When I was a child and on my way to school
    I used to wonder looking in to a crowded bus where are these people going? When I am at a railway cross and see a train
    passing by I cant help wondering how come everyday train is so full, those days I used to wonder will there be a day when not
    even a single soul will be travelling, but growing up I realised as you mentioned each day each of us leave our home
    in search of something soem for more pleasure, some for money, some for relaxation and so on. And finally once we all will
    take that final journey too.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,
    What a wonderful post!! Still I am in the impact it has made in me !!! From the road journey you have drawn artistically brought the inner meaning of our life journey. You only can do this dear friend!

"Life is a journey, a pilgrimage, a sacred adventure. Within everyone’s inner solitude, there is that bright and warm hearth where the spirit dwells waiting to be roused
    .In the journey of life, if one is given jewel, gold, the whole world, but one does not know the meaning of life, then layers and layers of dust will cover his true nature. Sow good seeds and reap good fruits and not sow bad seeds and reap bad fruits."
    with love
    pad

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Devatman,
    Your uncanny ability to connect mundane matters to divine is praiseworthy. Very true when we travel we play guessing game of the destination of the all people we meet, i suppose i do it even now trying to listen and check the mannerism to find their origin.

But all our destinations are to God, some travel fast some halt and move. I want to move fast with Bhavani Maa's blessings.
    Jaya

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Bonjour madame,

an excellent post, c'est magnifique.

love
    alpa:cheers

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,

so very true, we are always running to somewhere, and still not happey even when we reach our destination.god does not know even what we want eh !

Well said.

Regards

kamal

7. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hello padmaji

really a nice one. made me thinking, about our daily journeys to somewhere, like quest for something

8. Padmasrinivas

Dear Amihere,

Thank you for the 'boni' fb, my dear!

Even today I cannot get over this guessing game, always wondering where all these people could be going to in such a hurry...

As you say, everyone has to reach that final destination some day...

Lovely to have you here, my friend!

Jai Bhavani Maa!

Love,
    Padma

9. Padmasrinivas

Dear Padmini,

Your fb has made an even deeper impact and impression on me, dear dear Pad!

"Life is a journey, a pilgrimage, a sacred adventure. Within everyone’s inner solitude, there is that bright and warm hearth where the spirit dwells waiting to be roused"

These words are so beautiful and so apt...

But rousing the spirit is the real challenge, first one must become aware that the spirit dwells within and has to be awakened, is it not?

Pad, thanks so much for adding such depth to the post, I have no more words to express myself!

Jai Bhavani Maa!

Love,
    Padma

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    What you say about the people on the move is very intriguing but profound.
    “Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives.” said Sue Murphy, the renowned comedian. This is often true of not only the dogs but humans too. There are any number of foot-loose persons who just pack and go on a trip! Whenever I go to receive or see someone off at Chennai Central, I am amazed by the sea of humanity on the move. Everyone rushes towards God knows where! These people deify the Ticket Examiners and do anything to get their wait-listed tickets confirmed. It is a mad, mad, mad world!

As you all know, I had recently witnessed the Final Journey of my dear mom. She knew not where she was heading to but there was no anxiety on her face. On the contrary, it was the most peaceful ever as if she had finally found her true destination. I have seen her during her life getting unnecessarily tensed up when she or any of us had to undertake a journey but this time, she never displayed any tension. It was obvious that this time she was on a really purposeful journey. It was the dictate of the Almighty.

A great post, very typical of you!
    Sri

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009