1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you follow formal respect with your hubby?Share here

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Prettina, Apr 18, 2009.

1. vids

vids Senior IL'ite

We call each other by name in front of parents and in laws.... and we have a common nick when we are alone :)

Dh wanted me to call him ONLY by name even in presence of his parents & siblings...He insisted upon this well before our wedding...I was hesitant in the beginning (New DIL...what will the in-laws think..all that going through my head :hide:)
    But they were absolutely cool... My parents we not at all ok with it in the beginning bonk but now they are fine :)

2. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

we have nicknames for each other.. i call him by his nickname more when we are in public unless i have to call out to him or something.. when i am talking to his parents, i usually refer to him by his name.. and when i was in India, i refered him to by his name as well.. and I think everyone was ok with it.. my DH speaks English and English only.. while he understands Indian languages well, the other language that he speaks is Spanish and Japanese :bowdown neither of which I know an ounce of, so his family was totally fine with the fact that I refer to him by his name. :)

3. simi001

simi001 Senior IL'ite

Interesting thread i must say

My Husband & I address each other with our names...... we share a very friendly relationship ( like calvin and hobbes )so none of us believes in being too formal.

Cheers:thumbsup
    Simi

4. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi

Nice thread. My hubby elder to me by 4 years. My hubby is very particular about giving respect to everybody. (Inlaws both sides, anybody elder to us & always take their blessings etc etc). I use his name call ie.is OK to him but I don't use singular ... always plural. He always corrects my son too if he uses singular to anyone.

veen

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Neither my hubby nor I call each other (by name)... (i dont even remember when he last called me out by my name...) We avoid using names; he addresses me "nee" (informal form) while I address him "neenga" (formal/with respect form). When we married, I used to call him "nee" when alone, but somehow, it has become "neenga", esp. after being with other elders for quite some time. I feel uneasy to call him "nee" and so, its just my choice. BTW, he is just 2 years older than me.

Nowadays, I pull his leg by calling him "appaaaa" (father) along with my daughter! He hates that as that makes him feel "old"! Big Laugh
    Sandhya

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I have always addressed my husband with his name since the time I used to monitor the class in 8th grade while asking him to shut his mouth !

I continue it till date !! [​IMG]

The only time I get formal / traditional in addressing him is when we are amidst his people !! I still call his name but do not say dirty words !! [​IMG]

Infact all his cousins ( women ) call their husbands by name that none of our older aunts expect the DILs to call otherwise !

My mom hates it though but has given up on correcting me !! [​IMG]

And yes , since I love him sooo much the respect falls in place automatically !!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

I am happy to read all your replies in this thread

Thanks dears sandu, Drpreethis, veen,
    simi001, MrsV , vids and rajalakshmigopal .

8. kavitha nair 1

kavitha nair 1 New IL'ite

I call him na..............yes you heard it right na.
    Dont ask where in the world i got fixed with this word,i have no answer.

9. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I Address elders in the family or elders in general as "JI " or Garu (in telugu)

Call my hubby by name ... he does the same.

10. bharti

bharti Silver IL'ite

interesting topic.....

when i had initially known him..... i used 'Ji' after his name and i used to cal him "aap"..... we were then only professionally acquinted!!!! gradually when we knew each other more we came on names and "tum"......

i generally call each other by names or nick names or whatever we feel like calling and we address each other with "tum", i dont like using "tu"...... but after enagement my MIL wanted me to not take his name and use "aap" etc. atleast infront of elders.......... so i try to abide by that most of the time..... though there are slippages sometimes as i am so used to calling him by name :hide:

my DH never insisted on using any formal respect.... but teases me when i use "aap" sometime just like that..... he would say kya baat hai so much respect today.... i am not used to it !!!! he he:rotfl..... by mistake if i use "tu" sometimes..... he doesnt mind at all but does points it out..... i myself dont like using "tu"...... he always calls me "tum" an sometime "aap"