QA training, but no job

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anjalika400, Jan 12, 2009.

1. anjalika400

anjalika400 Junior IL'ite

Hey guys. I have a question for you all. I have taken a QA class last march for a month from a florida based QA training center. I am still looking for jobs and quite frustrated at the moment.Can you suggest me what should be my approach in detail for finding a job specially now when the market is so dull.The consultancy firmas like teksystems, technisource etc are not very helpful so far.When I took the class, I was pretty convinced like all other batch mates that we'll definitely get a job after completing the course.But the jobs available in the market mostly require prior experience and hands-on experience .Please help me out with your valuable suggestions and share you experience as to what kind of jobs generally people are doing after getting their work permit in USA.Even if I don't get any job in software testing I am ready to join other kind of jobs as I really want to help my parents in near future.Please give me you suggestions.
    Thanks a lot

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009

2. boone

boone New IL'ite

Hi Anjalika400
    Any luck in your job search for QA testing?
    Rightnow, the market is too bad and more over there is no much demand for QA as of now.( QA fadeing Technology)
    Some ppl are so lucky even they don't have experince they are all getting jobs.(I really don't no how they get)
    For me too there is no luck in QA.
    So, I felt it and started thinking of learning some standed technologies like VB2005 or JAva.
    I know Java is a big ocean but still I'll give a trial.
    Vb2005 is easy to learn but i just started 1mth ago 'll see how it will go.
    let me know what technologies you are looking for.
    we can discuss.

Regards
    Boone.

3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Some points from my side:

1. Dont believe all what the QA training centres tell you. Remember that they need to make people enrol in their courses/classes and and also keep their trainees motivated during the course. So they tell things about the job opprotunities after you finish the course are, well, not exactly true.

2. I will differ from Boone that QA is a fading technology. In the current situation, all the sectors are facing a slowdown. In IT industry, there is much less demand than previously for everyone ranging from developers to tech support people. So QA is not the only one suffering.

3. Boone, in answer to your question, "Some ppl are so lucky even they don't have experince they are all getting jobs.(I really don't no how they get)"
    The success in an interview starts with your resume getting shortlisted. Take tips from your friends/internet, how to make your resume more competitive and attractive.
    Prepare well and be confident when you attend the interview. There are many sites which give you good tips regarding attending an interview.

4. As Anjalika rightly said, many jobs give preference to experienced people over freshers because this saves the company the money spent on training the freshers. But some companies also recruit freshers and start them on a probationary period, mostly without pay during probation. Though this might not be useful if you consider the monetary benefits, the experience you gain will be very useful when you are applying for your next job and you will move from being a fresher to an experienced professional.

5. Nowadays QA is tilting in favor of automation. So learning tools and technologies which will help you to automate testing will give you an edge over others. Some scripting languages used for automation are unix and perl. Knowledge of some tools like Winrunner, loadrunner will also help

Hope these tips will be helpful. Best of luck in your job search

-Lakshmi

4. puramalaks

puramalaks Guest

I am in the same boat as you Anjalika no luck so far.Took training twice. My biggest weakness is lack of concentration got used to sitting idly at home(no work permit). Don't know how to over come this. I browse all the day but don't read about my technology and tools. If we form as a QA group and discuss it would be helpful Whats ur say gals.bonk

5. seema ram

seema ram New IL'ite

Hi QA job seekers,
    im in the same boat.. did my training long time back.. but the consulting firm cudnt place me.. so back to square zero i guess..
    now again started self study n perusing thru training centers to brush up on QTP. if anyone interested can meet n discuss watever we each know.

i live in piscataway in NJ.

6. asara

asara New IL'ite

Hi There,

Iam planning to do a Testing Course in india.Need some suggestion on the certification course[testing course] and any good institute in bangalore which offers the same.
    Iam a Software Engineer by profession was working on JAVA platform in B'lore past 3 yrs, currently on H4 and staying at home.
    Iam planning to make a trip to India and complete my course.

Suggestion/information/advice needed.:)

regards
    Asara

7. star1

star1 New IL'ite

hi,
    iam new memeber in idusladies hi, to all actually iam looking for some friends who are in software testing i have completed my training in QA
    through online if anybody out here willing to share and disuss it will
    be really great .
    thanks.

8. Vasuk

Vasuk New IL'ite

Hi Anjalika..

Are you still looking for the QA job?
    Did u get a break. If not I can help you.

Thanks,
    Vasuk

9. mahakumar

mahakumar Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I did a QA course in Bay area CA. I went for 2-3 interviews and then landed a full time job. Salary is good for a started. But had to work really really really hard preparing so many things.
    Keep trying

10. reach

reach New IL'ite

Hi Maha,
    gud to hear that u got a job in these tough times. Im experienced, still not getting job. It's also to do with the city I stay, m get job offers outside the state, which im not willing to take up.