Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by lalisiva, Nov 26, 2008.

1. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Please bear with me as i'm totally new and confused with this health insurance benefits and plans. Can someone please help me understand how you choose health insurance plan through an employer? We are couple with no kids yet. We've been requested to choose health insurance plan for next year with Aetna Life Insurance Group.
    what are my options as a dependent with no kids? How much a typical monthly permium and a copay per doctor visit costs?

thanks
    -lalitha.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Your employer should provide all details in the Aetna plan regarding the employee's share of the premium, what services are covered and co-pay or co-insurance amounts for each visit. Usually, these plans give you detailed information. Please read through. Also, are you given different plans to choose from? If so, compare premiums, co-pays, coverage etc before you make your decision.

3. Nirims

Nirims New IL'ite

If it is a EGHP (Employer Group Health Plan) you cannot customize your plan. I work for a US healthcare here in India.

If you are planning to buy your own policy - understand your needs. all plans basically work like this

less premium, more restrictions (coverage, authorization for taking certain services, network doctors only etc)

If more premium you get a little more liberty to choose physicians and you get varities of benefits.

I would suggest understand your current and figure out your future medical need . US is a country which has varities of plans. some of the insurance companies websites allow you to compare premiums and benefits b/w various plans try googling.

some of them even offer you a free look period, meaning you pay some money. use the policy for a limited period and see if it serves your need, but return it back if you are not satisfied, they may deduct any paperwork cost.

But please decide what benefits will help you and then choose insurance, if you choose insurance you have to go through only what benefits they provide and choose one among them.