1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Reduce Cholesterol?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by deepthivinayak1, Nov 16, 2019.

1. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

In recent yearly checkup, we came to know my husband has high cholesterol. How to reduce it..? What food should I take and avoid. ? What oil I can use for cooking.? What food I can give day to day life for healthy lifestyle?

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Use the right kind of oils.
    Cut down refined oils and go with cold press oils.Also,sesame,coconut,olive and groundnut oils are the best.Use it accordingly.

Eat right,good fats.Ghee,almonds,cashews etc..

Lot of veggies.

Avoid processed food.

Less stress.

Exercise!If very busy For gym,atleast walking three to four times a week.

The above works not only for cholesterol but overall health.

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Adding to that more fibres and less carbos.

anika987 likes this.
  4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

WAYS TO REDUCE LDL, tr

Reduce saturated fats. Saturated fats, found primarily in red meat and full-fat dairy products

Eliminate trans fats. ...

Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. ...

Increase soluble fiber. …

Eat a lot more fiber-rich foods (especially soluble fiber from foods like beans, oats, barley, fruits, and vegetables).

Consume olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil may be more healthful than processed olive oils. ...

Follow a low-carb diet ...

Exercise regularly. …

Take cholestoff

Drink lots of water

Eat less at night, only fruits

Avoid fried foods

Eat almonds, walnuts

Avoid butter

deepthivinayak1 and shravs3 like this.
  5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Cholesterol is a lifestyle issue plus a hereditary one.
    My husband has it in borderline and I know it's hereditary for him.
    But always take measures to not increase it further because I don't think it's possible to completely get rid of it once you have seen the values. But always work on reducing it.
    1) Exercise is very important. Even walking daily will help.
    2) Lot of vegetables. My husband's dinner is replaced with vegetable soup.
    3) also the main reason for cholesterol is not the oil but the animal source of fat.
    Like the mutton etc (if you are a non vegetarian) . If you are a vegetarian no worries. If you take mutton then I would say reduce the intake. Having said this usage of any kind of cooking oil in moderation is the key.. Don't fall for any brand which claims to reduce cholesterol. In reality no oil does that :)
    4) make it a habit to cook with minimum oil. More water and more vegetables should dominate the taste of your curry.
    5) Slowly replace dinner with one bowl of vegetable soup or dhal (tadka with just one spoon oil), a bowl of fruits etc.
    6) If you have to habit of drinking ice cold water immediately after food then avoid it. I read that ice cold water solidifies the oily food we take. Not sure how true this is. Remember reading this!!

deepthivinayak1 and shravs3 like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

If you don’t mind can you please share the soup varieties. I normally do Palak soup, Coriander Lemon soup and Tomato soup. I run out of ideas most of the times or get bored of the old ones

Anusha2917 likes this.
  7. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Try Thai soups or Chinese or Vietnamese soups
    I love Tom youm Thai soup. It has load full of veggies and extraordinary taste.

Soups from South Asia is good compare to Indian varieties. I read Korea has least heart diseases. I see most Koreans eat more soup , sea food and no milk no dairy products.

Anusha2917, Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips. Will try this next time

Vedhavalli likes this.
  9. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

My soup is not fancy. It's boiled veggies which I call soup. :grimacing::grimacing:
    1) So take all veggies(any combination of 5 6 veggies) . Cut them. Just use a spoon spoon of oil and put these veggies and saute them with some garlic and onion of you want. Then add a lot of water n salt (as per taste) and boil for 10 mins. Finish off with lemon, pepper any other seasoning. (Italian seasoning I use)
    Yes for flavor sometimes I add ground tomatoes, ground coriander while boiling.
    Oh yeah I make the stock at home for this veggie soup. . All the hard part of cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and other veggies peels are boiled well with a bay leaf, onion and garlic in lot of water. Once they they boil enough I filter the water and collect it and use it to the sauteed veggies for boiling. Gives some flavour.

2) Beetroot soup : cook ,grind and make soup by mixing water and boil. Finish off with seasoning of your choice . Similarly I have tried cauliflower ,broccoli soup.

3) Rajma soup : just onion garlic more toamatoes and veggies.. Vegetable stock. cooked kidney beans.. salt and pepper.. boil well for 20mins

Will share more as and when I remember!

Paripoorna likes this.
  10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

please add some celery too. yummy

Anusha2917 likes this.