1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Consent

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by BhumiBabe, Jan 9, 2019.

1. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I am keeping it generic since it is such a personal and sensitive subject- one that leaves me very emotional and disgusted with myself. If it's not obvious, this poem is about sex.

The poem itself, lives within the realm of a committed relationship, like marriage- but it's a breach of trust between spouses. It's a situation where saying no, will cause further problems - including temper tantrums, name calling, or general scolding that the partner is not doing her duty. So the wife agrees reluctantly.

The nuances, you ask? All the signs of a no, are there in the body- it's closed, fearful, uninterested in touch. The mind and body is so intertwined, that even if the body is malleable, there is an aftertaste that remains long after the act. And this is only reinforced the next time it happens. This might all be TMI or possibly just crazy convoluted, that you still have no idea what I am talking about.

silentlistener and Rihana like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OK. Not sure why it didn't occur at all to me that it was about sex. Which is odd given that the title is Consent. And I am usually not so dense.

Good Lord. Now that I recall the poem in my mind again, and the responses from others, I am mortified at my question. I will go sit quietly in a corner after dinner, reflect on the thread, and come back with more informed/aware opinion and observation.

Please take my word for it when I say I was not being annoyingly obtuse.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019